The history of wood gas car in the USSR. Documentary

The history of wood cas car in the USSR. Documentary.
Collected by me from 600 Soviet books and 13 magazines.
For English, turn on subtitles. This is the first part of the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIkLp5Nz9LE

13 Likes

Cool video, but the only captions availlable to me is russian.

1 Like

you need to click on the gear and there will be a button to translate

2 Likes

Hey Andy:
The Gear Tool → then Russian (auto generate) → then Auto Translate → will open up an all languages scroll listing. Select; click. And read along, follow.
S.U.

5 Likes

Yes, it works. You need a little patience, but it is not difficult.
Rindert

4 Likes

Serg ,Thanks for showing us some of the history of charcoal and wood gas , very interesting to watch , cant wait for someone somewhere to dig up old movies of there times during earlier times .
Soon as lockdown ends (again ) over here we are going to visit a guy that has a lot of original Gasifier stuff stored up in his shed ,fingers crossed its not too far rusted out .
Dave

11 Likes

The history of wood cas car in the USSR. Documentary. part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlRaqqaF_o

11 Likes

Thank you for this SergeiL.
Most interesting to me was the information on Mr Peltzer. First name Peter? His developments, designs and claims for higher hydrogen and methane percentages at lower; less destructive, not ash slagging, temperatures.
His special lower resistance filtering. With less pressure drop than even a cyclone. Allowing him for the time, world class engine power. Better than the Germans, French and British.
Minutes 8:06 to 11:16
What I think Joni has bases his later Kolyvan systems works on.
The publication you highlighted out in Part 1.
Joni going with an added mini bikini grate.

I look forward to the Part 3 taking Soviet works out to 1959.
Regards
Steve unruh

8 Likes

I begin to feel that Russians have done millions of man-hours of development. True?
Rindert

2 Likes

The third part of the video.

11 Likes

Wow, Sergei!
This one is pure gold.

Anyone who has pursued raw cut sap full fresh firewood lengths for woodgasification for engines: the missing core answers are at 15:40 minutes.
The earlier filter attempts made are pure gold too. Mostly it was about accepting good-enough-for-the-engines; versus Lab-Geek gas cleanliness.

Best Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I’m glad that you liked it, I attached a link to the book in the video to the video (although it is in Russian, I think everything will be clear from the diagrams)

3 Likes

Yes, not a little, piled on by the power of the planned economy

3 Likes

Yes.
View in YouTube and open up your two book-photo Links in the Read More expanded.

The first book . . . shows nearly every single hearth style tried and analyzed we talk about here on the DOW.
Shows more mechanical mixer styles than I have ever seen on one publication.

You second book link translates as:
Bobkov N.P. Gas generators TsNllME working on freshly cut half-meter firewood and logging wastes
Half-meter would be 21-22 inches. “Fine” split of course.
Steve unruh

6 Likes

Google text English translated starting at 15:40. Sentences breaks in this translation are lacking. Some words use not the best. Read for meanings. Not perfections.
". . . in 1949, 4 people from the Institute of Wood were renamed to OVD with them from the same institute where they assembled their first gas generators wild links make a gas generator on half-meter raw wood what said before gas generators had to work in northern latitudes where a short summer and cutting, drying and storing chocks (chunks) was a difficult task, but it is quite within the power of anyone to chop raw logs by hand so as not to spend money on infrastructure, the bastards (said admiringly) made a generator on wet logs, freshly cut wood, (and then) fan blew air under pressure from the gas generators and threw off the parts of the lid, thereby getting rid of the moisture, which made it possible to dry the fuel on the go . . . "

And film-video clips Sergei has incorporated shows they did this in-gasifier forced air blow drying while moving and working. You can see the released hopper lid pipe vapor moisture.

Half the mixers diagram picture show float valve liquid fuel bowls. So they were systems starting the engines gasoline.
The diagram shows the forced air blowers as belt/chain shaft driven. Had to be from an already running engine.
Gasifier hearth diagram illustrated with two rings of perimeter air-in jets. the upper air jets for forced flow drying.
The blower outlet flow wye valves to be able to blow force into the hearth/hopper. Or suck flow pull the downstream separation-filtering train.
S.U.

4 Likes

Hello Sergei, I watched your contributions with enthusiasm, you nicely presented and described the development and construction of gas generators by Russian engineers. Thank you very much.
Tone from Slovenia.

9 Likes