The knowledge to build a Co2 Converter

I just want to chime in a bit about the BTU’s in wood vs. charcoal… Right now, the wood gassers have the charcoal guys beat on that argument. Yes! A lot of BTU’s are “wasted” when we make charcoal. However, what if the charcoal retort was extremely efficient? What if that charcoal retort actually used that “waste” heat for a myriad of useful purposes, like:

• Hydronic heating (house)
  • Water distillation/sanitation
  • Wet feedstock drying (radiator with fan)
  • Refrigeration (adsorption refrigeration)
  • Etc.

So, although we can’t say that our BTU’s are used on the same gasification system, we might be able to say our BTU’s were put to good use. Even Steven… But only if the retort is very well insulated, and the waste heat is completely soaked up in some kind of heat exchanger, and then used accordingly.

If you buy my argument so far, this is where I think the charcoal guys can actually jump out ahead a bit with steam and exhaust gas. Because charcoal is almost pure carbon, it’s a fantastic catalyst for a number of cool reactions. Yes, I know, I know… Steam is basically water that is brought into the equation. We’re not playing fair because it wasn’t part of the same pile of wood. But from a practical standpoint, it’s super easy to get water and add it to the tank.

For me personally, I like the versatility of being able to use charcoal for fuel, or for the garden…

Troy

Might as well make use of it/ any way you can / or at least know how to if needed , I would actualy like to make a wood or charco gasifier for as many aplications as posible.if the demand for petro keeps climing,so will fuel prices/food/any thing related too heating fuel/thus causeing a NEED to make your own fuel or starve, be homeless, repo’ed, or not enough to make ends meet useing conventional fuels at the will of the one percent.Maybe the manopoly would like us all in tents like half of syrea and irac.and so on, looks allmost like hitler all over again too me, BBB

Water brought into the equation… it did cost energy to make it steam an then to crack it into Hydrogen , after that you can use the energy from Hydrogen.
It is just a way to drain all energy ( the heat ) from the input material and the whole process, to bring things in balance and the waste of BTU’s to the minimum.

If anyone say’s that bringing water in the process is adding external energy into the process… don’t forget that the conversion of water to energy consumes energy …
That energy should come from wasted BTU’s, or in our case, from the excess heat in the glowing core ( to prevent overheating )

Water is very strange molecule… is an dipole battery… as battery can absorbed an electrical charge and released after… during my research I have found that … http://youtu.be/SatGtCtcu_Q

The thread here is about actual builds and working units.
These units are using “old knowledge” and are based on real life experiences with simple understandable means.

I think the topic here is well defined within some limits.

Dough i already expressed myself towards you, that i would love to have a dialog about your research and findings, this dialog will have to take place in its own topic.

May i ask you , at the most friendly way possible, create your topic about your knowledge, i will participate in the utmost respectful way towards your knowledge and experience.

But please leave your research, if it is not at the same level of using technology, out of this topic.
You can have a dialog with me here, in this topic, wether or not my system would work, but not trying to make this a topic why we should build your idea’s and how come…

So, again, you are more then welcome to talk, discuss, dialog about what i claim, but not about any modifications i should make according to your findings.

Thank you.

I edited the content and removed the words “debate”

Just a word on this. Drive On Wood does NOT “welcome debate”. Actually, if you read the Terms of Service http://driveonwood.com/terms, it specifically states “all topics that get into debate territory will be removed.” I must now begin to enforce this.

We’re not here to argue our way to the best gasification ideas. We’re here to build them and learn from each other. If you want to teach us Marco, lead by example - build one of your units and demonstrate clearly how it works. The same goes for Koen’s CO2 converter - until it’s available for us to see and build, we can’t get very far by discussing it.

The theoretical stuff is where we seem to be falling off the wagon. Lets refrain from all the theory for a while, and just concentrate on practical building.

================

Until further notice, threads concerning the theory of gasification, or any other debates, will be warned and then closed.

The so called converter is already a practical build and the basic and practical principles are , as above postings show, fully explained. The patents are not disclosed, the practical science behind it is made public and available in the earlier postings.

How do you estimate the furnace temperature to adjust the CO2 flow?
I never see probes on your gasifier.

measuring the Co2 content in the outgoing gas helps
i use probes as well, but not always visible on the pictures

I presume that the water flow is set according to a desired firing speed? Perhaps milliliters water per pound of coal burned

exact, ratio water / coal combusted

To avoid having to adjust the ignition advance, how much water is necessary to make?

in my experience i never changed the timing of the ignition.
it started always flawless.
of course the engines should be in good condition with sufficient compression.

first try without the water drip, and work your way up to get the feeling for it and work towards both end max limits.
learn how much would be to much, how little would be to little.

in my design, there is some self balance: water not evaporated, will not reach the core so more oxygen from the air will heat the charcoal
more heat in the charcoal will generate more vapor, replacing the oxygen, reducing the temperature

this will be a smooth balance, depending the engine load of course

Depending we returned co2 or steam in the reactor does it change the engine behavior?

Yes, and the smaller the engine, the more you can notice the difference
mostly with hydrogen, the engine reacts more crispy

Is based on the sound of the engine you decide on the proportion co2 / steam?

I haven’t changed the timing on any of the small gensets that I have run with our wood gasifier.