The "What followed me home" thread

Not sure how message ended up here, oops… :grinning:

1 Like

This rig followed me home yesterday, but the tractor can’t stay. :disappointed_relieved: The baler won’t tie but the gear box is good for a chunker.:grinning:
DSCN0024DSCN0023

11 Likes

With a little work and some spare parts you can fix those knotters… my baler wouldn’t tie two knots in a row and definitely not at the same time when I bought it. But my suggestion would be a NH baler the parts are just cheaper and more common. If you want advice on why one doesn’t tie i can probably help you figure it out mine was really bad.

3 Likes

Thanks I will remember that. I have another New Holland baler I think ties, if I get ready to do hay I will probably use it. This one was given to me because my uncle got tired of working on it. I need a chunker, I plan to use it for that.

7 Likes

Gearbox for chunker all kinds of sheet metal to make charcoal gassers and what ever else you can think of. Whole bunch of fun coming your way

9 Likes

Well, I went to the dump this evening, made some deposits and withdrawals…

Most notably this came home.

Note the electrical problem…

I haven’t checked for continuity and resistance yet, but the cut cord generally tells the story. People are something when it comes to selfishness and waste…

7 Likes

Great find, Garry! Just a thought, I have sometimes cut the cord of discarded electrical appliances because I thought they were so broken as to be a fire or shock hazard. Someone at the dump may have cut the cord and put it in the #2 insulated wire recycle bin. Worth a few cents, but it adds up.

4 Likes

I had that thought too. It could be, but I have yet to run into that situation, mostly it’s to render an item unusable. I do think the copper went for scrap or elsewhere.

Given that the unit looks in great condition I’m expecting it will check out fine. Also, being an enclosed appliance not meant to be close to anything, I am comfortable with salvaging it. Worst case I can imagine is that the shaded pole fan bushings need oil, possibly the fan stopped turning.

I also appreciate when people throw out electrical panels, particularly Stab-lok… :grinning:

4 Likes

When copper was high I know someone who would go to the dump and cut off cords he saw for the scrap but it is pretty cheap now.

4 Likes

I always cut off the power cord/plugs from scrapped out electrical equipment. This was never to foul up a future re-user. Ha! I only junk out when many times repaired and truly junk.
Why cords cut off?
Reuse them later on some other project.
Tight/NO-buget gasifiers I’ve wrapper cover stripped back and wired up blower moters, hopper shakers and grate stirrer’s motors using the fine stranded black, white and green wires. DC system re-purposed and I will not use the former AC polarized plugs as too easy to set up for an operator make-electrical-smoke Ooopsie.
S.U.

10 Likes

Look what is following me home today

http://www.bolha.com/kmetijstvo-gozdarstvo/kmetijstvo/motokultivatorji/motokultivator-acme-muta-1344654117.html

There is currently one exessive item on the it. Above the engine… :wink:

13 Likes

Wow, you actually bought it :smile:
With the pto and all the accessories, every chore at your place can soon be executed with charcoal power :smile:

6 Likes

A friend of mine is into those types of walk behind tractors. He started by telling me how great they where you just needed to swap attachments. Last I knew he had about 4 motor units so he didn’t have to swap anything anymore. I just laughed and thought yup I saw that comming.

6 Likes

Wow, your’s has an extra carburetor attachment. What are you going to do with that.?

2 Likes

It wount for much longer Billy :smile:

I tryed it yesterday, runs like a dream. It has a preety much undistructible ACME motor. But l was kinda disapointed, it turned out useless for rototilling. The wheels are much too fast. 1th gear shuld beabout 3 times slower. Now its time for some head scraching.

7 Likes

Not sure you can fix that with tinny tires seems like you will need to change some gearing to slow it down that much. My case ingersoll will walk along almost 100% by the tiller alone sometimes to break up hard ground I actually have to put the tractor in reverse to hold it back. I wonder if you could get the tiller going then just slip it in neutral once it is walking under tiller power? The case ingersoll 448 is 100% hydraulic so it is easy to leave the tiller running and change the ground speed. But I am amazes at how little tire power i need to move it when I use the tiller.

4 Likes

Tryed. No way. My fealds are much to steep, thats why l bought it in the first place.

But thats a idea. A hydraulic system is a possibility. Might be simpler thain rearnging the gearbox

4 Likes

Then just till down the hill in neutral and power back up with the tiller off. Lol

3 Likes

LOL…:blush: You’d have to make sure to not leave ruts for rain water to wash out the hill.
Those little walk behind tractors are amazing little creatures. We have a david bradley with only a turning plow, but I really like it for small plot farming. We are working on a charcoal gasifier for it. I am going to try to use a 20 quart stainless steel pot for the gasifier with a glass lid. The hope is to use the machine as a demonstration model for gasifier technology. Maybe people will be able to see what’s happening inside the pot. But maybe it will just cloud up. we will see.

But I am now very curious to try the Thai style pipe gasifier. that Koen posted. Very interesting, very simple

5 Likes

ACME motors… we have a ton of old ones in the warehouse here. Used to come standard on all BCS machines through the mid 90’s. Need any manuals, let me know LOL.

4 Likes