The wisdom of Steve U

Joseph I think they worked on the overdrive unit because that was the problem I was having before, it would shift into overdrive but would just act like it was in neutral. Now it will pull in overdrive but just shifts back down upon any throttle response.

1 Like

I was camping on Daufin Island in Alabama a few years after a day at Wayne and Lisaā€™s ā€¦ The guy camping next to us was a transmission guy in Mobile ā€¦ I told him about our chattering lock-up and the other issues ā€¦ He figured I had maybe 5000 miles left ā€¦ What he DID tell me is that when he rebuilds a tranny he sets the pressure way higher ā€¦ think it was like 20 PSI higher ā€¦ Very simple adjustment on the dump valve on the transmission oil pump ā€¦ Truck still runs fine and I never did nothing 30K later but it has some electronic issues now ā€¦ Just thought Iā€™d mention that ā€¦ I have to gently back up and my wife is trained because simply when this truck dies Iā€™m retired :o) ā€¦ Mike

My ā€œWAGā€ Because wood gas doesnā€™t have the power of petro, could it be you have your boot in it more and are tripping the step-down. Some one who knows something about thisā€” can he adjust the step-down or even disconnect it and rely on the shift lever to kick it down a gear when necessaryTomC

He could, but adjusting the kick-down (TV cable AKA Throttle Valve Cable) would be much better then disconnecting it. Also, on my truck (which is a 96) the torque converter lockup and overdrive shift are very close together and happen around 50 mph. These trucks have I think 1st and reverse on a band, and OD is not on a band, it is its own planetary set so it cannot be adjusted. Also, do you have the 46 RH or the RE? one is electrically shifted and one hydraulic. If you look under your hood on the sticker on the hood, it will say. It may say DGE or something like that but you can look up what trans it corresponds with online.

If you do have a RE I think that the 3,4 shift and torque converter lockup clutch are both on a relay in your power dist box. However, if that were out youd have other problemsā€¦ hmmmmm This really sounds to me like your kickdown cable is not adjusted right so it always thinks you are in passing gear. try stomping on the throttle a few times while on the freeway, forcing it to shift down and then back into OD see if it ever shifts into OD. should drop a thousand RPMā€™s.

While under the dash of my truck I think knocked the brake light switch out of adjustment and after parking I noticed the brake lights on . If I barely lifted the brake the lights would go off. I adjusted the switch and corrected the problem .

The reason I mention this is if I want to down shift without going to heavy throttle I gently tap the brake and the truck will down shift.

I will experiment to see if the truck will shift into OD with the brake light on .

Hello Gary .

I had one other thought that concerns the linkage cable from the throttle body to the trans. Might have gotten hot and stove up or out of adjustment.

When I was planing my trip out to the salt flat I was experimenting to get the most speed in the shortest lenght of time . It seem that 3900 rpm was the place to shift . If trying to go more than 3900 there was acceleration but not as much as going to the next gear.

If I held the truck at WOT the trans would not shift to the next gear. If I let off just a little it would shift fine but I wanted to say at WOT.

I disconnected the linkage from the throttle to the trans and could hold the truck at WOT and shift at any rpm with the gear shift .

To eliminate any linkage problem you may want to disconnect the linkage and see if the truck will hold OD and heavy throttle .

I tried adjusting the kick down linkage, it effects the range of where it kicks down but I donā€™t think it has nothing to do with the shifting in and out of the od. On another note I think I may have set a new world recordā€¦I drove to work on wood yesterday morning. Arrived at work and around 10 minutes till seven A.M. Worked our normal 10 hour shift, 5:30 P.M. and then had to work O.T. till 11:30 P.M, for a total of 16.5 hours. It was raining when we got off work so I was just going to run on petro on the trip home. Got in the truck, turned on fuel pump, opened air valves and headed home. Went about 2 blocks and truck started running rich, I figured I was pulling left over gas in the system into the intake. Looked at my temp gauges and cross over was already over 250. Started turning off fuel pump and closing air valves. Truck ran perfect all the way home on wood. Has anybody else ever let there truck set that long and still maintain a fire, I credit it to my new hopper lid being air tight, but really have no idea. However this morning with truck only setting 6 hours before I left for work it was outā€¦go figure

2 Likes

Doubtful. Usually staying lit that long indicates extra air somewhere in the system. You must have used some dry wood too, because usually the steam will snuff out any remaining coals.

Hello Gary .

I just made a quick 35 mile trip and tested the brake light switch I mention above . With the brake light switch on the truck will shift through all gears and into OD but will not let the torque converter lock .

With very dry hard wood I have had the truck to set over night and light up on its own but only a couple of times .

With the pine wood I usually use about 4-5 hours is about as long as it will hold fire .

I never noticed that before Wayneā€¦I am going to try it too. Do you mean you ride the brake just enough to engage brake light switch?

Chrisā€¦When I leave for work in the mornings I only put enough wood in the hopper so that when I leave for work that evening it is easier to light. I actually made it back home after the extended hours at work with out adding any wood. This morning when I went to load a bag to go to work it was just a couple inches above the nozzles. I just canā€™t imagine it setting that long and not burning my wood down enough that I wouldnā€™t make it homeā€¦ And yes the wood was good and dry, it is some of the oak I been drying on my wood stove for the Argoā€™s trip. But why would it go 16 hours and not 6, I told the wife if I didnā€™t know better I would think someone had driven the truck before I got off work. She saidā€¦Donā€™t look at me I donā€™t know how to drive that thingā€¦lol

1 Like

Hi Gary, Iā€™ve had non-air-tight connections on both ends of the flex pipe from heat/ex to heat/ex and have had several overnight stay lit episodes. Iā€™m guessing a tablespoon size ā€œfireā€ will keep it lit and not use much fuel. Please figure it out so we can all enjoy ā€œauto light on a WKā€ :raised_hands:

did you forget your incomming air valve (pusher blower side) Maybe when you were driving you started ramming air up into the nozzles?

1 Like

Hello Gary .

" Do you mean you ride the brake just enough to engage brake light switch? "

Yes , This morning while testing and the road to myself I would feather touch the brake . The truck would shift through all the gears but the torque converter would not lock in until I completely got off the brake pedal .

In ordinary driving and I want to shift down just a little I find it is smoother shift to tap the break ( torque converter unlocks ) and then accelerate vs pushing the accelerator down until the torque converter unlocks .

On mine, a quick let off of the accelerator petal does the same thing, but it will usually lock back unless in a good pull. Joseph H, did you say there is a relay up front to control this??

Yeah I think the RH (hydraulic shifted) and RE (electric shifted) both have a relay in the Power Distribution Box under the hood for the TC lockup clutch. However, I think on most models this also controls other things in the tranny AND the motor so if its not working its likely something else. The TC lockup solenoid in the tranny however is separate. The relay is labled Transmission or Trans and is by the AC clutch relay. I think the wire is Orange and Black for the TC lockup. Some people add a separate switch for it so there trans doesnā€™t ā€œgear huntā€

I test the lockup by touching the brake pedal ā€¦ It should unlock right then ā€¦ Glad you figured it out ā€¦ Maybe you are a 2 foot driver ā€¦ I drive stick shift now ā€¦ Itā€™s either in gear or not ā€¦ :o) M

1 Like

Successā€¦every since Steve U. mentioned the backfires and heat on the tps being hard on it that is where I went looking first tonight. Sure enough it looks like the throttle shaft got so hot during the self cleaning episode on the lake trip that it melted the little nubbins inside the tps where the flat end of the throttle shaft drives the sensor. Hurried to town to catch Oā€™reillyā€™s before they closed got me a new one, put it on and trans working just fine. I feel so much better now about the long trip to Argoā€™s. Thanks to everyone and there input. Maybe we all learned something. That is why I like these open discussions. And yes Wayne my brake switch will kick it down really smooth and easy, leave it to you to find that out by fiddling around under the dash and getting your brake switch out of adjustment. Iā€™m not a bit surprisedā€¦lol Picture not great but think you can see there is nothing left to drive the tps.

5 Likes

Glad to see your fixed it Gary. You said you put it on your trans, did you mean throttle body? got me all confused now lol

Hurried to town to catch Oā€™reillyā€™s before they closed got me a new one, put it on and trans working just fine.

LOLā€¦actually it says I put it on and trans is working fine

1 Like