Thermal Usage Gasifier, Is Tar Or Cracked Tar Better?

I’m curious about making a super simple/cheap woodchip gasifier for the sole purpose of making hot burning gas, not running it through an engine. My thoughts are to make a small portible unit that could feed woodgas to either a propane stove burner or to 1/2 of a oxy-woodgas cutting torch.

I’ve heard that tarry gas will produce a more power in an engine, but would it actually burn hotter in a cutting torch vs fully cracking the tars into closer to engine-grade gas? I’m thinking that tarry gas may burn hotter overall, but not burn quick enough to be used for cutting/heating torch and just end up making a very long flare instead of the intended small concentrated torch.

If we think tarry gas will burn quick enough with oxygen to be effective, I would just be able to make a small FEMA unit to supply the needed burner gas.

Unless you’re burning it right at the gasifier, any tar you make will plug up the works. That propane burner has fine passages, as does a cutting torch.

For a direct stove, the tar is not an issue. As soon as you try to pipe the gas somewhere, it has the potential to collect tar.

I thought about that about 20 seconds after I hit the “save” (post) button… :stuck_out_tongue:

Brian you would have to compress it some how to get it in to a torch to mix with oxygen as an oxy acet set, so your compressor would also gum up with tar!
Keep the ideas comming
Patrick

Brian Ham, have you followed the work Agua Das did with his Dasifier? Here is a video where he is casting some bronze bells. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08tj4NWUQY
He is using a refrigeration compressor as a high pressure air source, but I think I saw somewhere where he said it would work with a tall chimney. Here is another site showing some photos of a construction: Dasifier - Dick's Foundry Adventures
Ray