Thrive Off Grid

Here is one of two M-1 MAX builds. I should have this one ready to run by end of day tomorrow. A bit more work than anticipated and it a lot bigger than anticipated as well. This thing is huge!!

This a cross draft design Im trying out, it has built in water drip direct to jet. Hopper capacity is 2 cubic foot and it will have twin silica bag filters. Need to finish up the access cover, lid, and wheel chassis and dolly handle and it will be ready for paint. :fire:
IMG_1576 IMG_1577 IMG_1579 IMG_1580

14 Likes

Looks really good Matt :+1::+1::+1::grinning:

4 Likes

So I fired this puppy up tonight. Had a few issues getting going, I suspected the cross draft was not working so I punched through the partition at the top to bypass it going into the filter. I probably should have troubleshooted this a bit more. I think my fuel may not have been processed small enough and I may have been coming on too soon with the water drip I dont know. But for a good while it ran pretty stable but it dies out long before the hopper is empty. So I think too large of fuel is causing my issue.

One of reasons I wanted this cross draft was to get heat out of the hopper so I could integrate the water tank. Now that I have this bypassed this is an issue as the water in the tank is boiling.

So I have a few options, I can raise the pick up tube so the inlet higher up, process my fuel smaller and put some vents in the water tank both internal and external. I figure a bit of steam mixed in the gas maybe a good thing to help keep the valves wet.

IMG_1588 IMG_1590 IMG_1591 IMG_1592

10 Likes

Looks great!!!:+1::+1: let us know what you figure out.

3 Likes

I patched up that hole and drilled a new one higher up in the pick up tube. I smashed up my fuel into smaller pieces and gave it another try. It worked!!

I drilled hole internally into the top of the water tank as a safety precaution.

So I think I got it, I just need to make a crusher / processor now and I think Ill be all set.

This one here is mine, the second one will ship out to Washington when complete :fire:

7 Likes

I thought about that. I made (and breathed) a lot of dust doing that. Anymore I cut my wood chunks smaller before I put them in the tlud just so I don’t have to breath dust.
Rindert

Just posted these pics because this tlud is so simple and works so well. I learned a lot just from two coffee cans. Yes the wind screen helps a lot. Here cooking some salmon. It’s a place to start if you have zero experience.

9 Likes

Put a full hopper load of fuel in this thing to see how long it will run for. It has a pretty fast water drip and is running stable. It had a hard time getting going, might be the left over fuel from last night. In the future Ill smash it down before reloading.

Start time was 1:45 PM

IMG_1594

6 Likes

Do you mean lighting up or making gas?

4 Likes

Engine would not come up to rpm, took about 5 minutes before it took off.

2 Likes

I think my jet needs to be a few inches longer. Its not burning down evenly or is this what we want?

1 Like

Hi Matt , when restarting up on old charcoal its always best to give it a stir around and try and get some newer coals in front of the nozzle so to make it more reactive , another reason that its best to try and get the size of your charcoal between 1/4 and 3/4 inch also keeps rat holes down to a minimum .
I use a small wood mulcher with hammers and a 1 inch screen in it driven with a 12 volt dc motor with a gearbox from a wheel chair plenty of torque and nice and slow so little flying dust works great for me .
Dave
Just found this item for sale on market place its a ice crusher so tempted to buy it for the $50 he wants just to see if it would crush charcoal

9 Likes

What size ? dominoes ? dice ? corn flakes ?

1 Like

Im smashing the fuel down to about the size of a quarter.

1 Like

Nice thank you, Yeah Im a noob here all over again. haha Thank you guys for the advice

2 Likes

Hi Matt,
Size does matter, a lot, the upside is the ease and reliability of the system with good fuel prep.
I get my best results with a spread between 3 and 12 mm (1/8 to 1/2")
Sieving that is a piece of cake.
The gas temperature stay’s low, the gasifier relative cool , gas stay’s dry.

When you overdue the waterdrip, then your charcoal becomes moist and a pain to restart next day.

I adjust waterdrip according to my load needed, with a baseline 1 drop per sec, (20 drops equals 1 ml ) = 0.18 liter/Hr for each Kg of charcoal consuming.
The max i went up to this date = 1 liter /Hr per Kg charcoal, but then i am running the engine at max and use the exhaust wall surface to turn the water into steam before injecting that into the gasifier

I tend to run the level of the charcoal bed not lower then 24" above nozzle, that certainly helps ,in my case, to have good power output.

6 Likes

Ok yeah I can only get about 2/3 of the hopper that will run stable. So that make sense.

Yeah the water drip is impressive, when I get it good and hot I can dump quite a bit of water into that thing. I think a more refined with steam flashing and automation controls could really improve this.

Cheers, thank you for your input :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Matt , is this still a cross draft ? or have you converted it into a updraft ? can you do a sketch or explain how you have the inlet and outlet positioned and the distance between the 2 if it is still a cross draft .
Thanks Dave

1 Like

Thanks for the numbers Koen. How big is your motor/generator with that 24’’?
And what happens if you throw the charcoal dust in? There is effort in that too. A waste to throw in the garden.

2 Likes

I look at the dust or “waste” as a plus for the environment, biochar. Add it to the compost pile, and you have taken excess CO2 out of the atmosphere for thousands of years, and made a permanent improvement for the soil.

5 Likes

The hopper at the nozzle level extends 11" back. There is a gas pick up tube welded to the back. However this does not extend all the way to the jet level. Originally it was 6 inches higher. It is now about 10" higher giving the gas a larger area to penetrate through.

The gas pick up tube extends up to the top and transfer the gas to back bag filter chamber.

3 Likes