Thrive Off Grid

Not sure if this is common everywhere but in Ontario a perfectly fine tank passed the designated age will not be filled up by the fuel companies and you cannot get home insurance. Of course those who it affects most are the poor who wouldn’t be investing in biomass boilers anyways…

2 Likes

Yes, it is true and it is dishonest.
TSSA is corrupt.

I am a hard working union man but this is not honest and is harmful to society and especially older folks on pension.

Thanks for sharing Mr. Matt!

Great design that is easily tweaked to purpose.

What is the target market - for investors?

For now I have to market as a tent stove heater and camp out door cook stove due to EPA restrictions until we can get it internally tested and then EPA tested. Then we can offer it for RV’s small cabins, Marine, tiny houses, supplement heat etc.

Im sure it will pass with fly colors as it makes no smoke at all once up and going. However this will be a new experience for me dealing with EPA testing. First we need a flew analyzer and then have to shell out money for the real testing.

Then if we do get investors we will then attempt to get it into retail outlets. First Amazon and then who knows, it all cost money and I make gasifiers. lol

4 Likes

I sense a desire to make quality things from you Matt than so much as money making. ( You do this because you love results of hard work )

I respect that a very great deal.

3 Likes

Well I come from a background of building high precision machinery. Once you build at this level you can never look at the world the same again. Unfortunately I am very limited by a number of things what the market is willing to pay and the resources to build cost effectively at the highest quality level I can build at. Right now I just live with what we produce, but I know it can be done better and also more cost effectively. We will get there though, once we get current design documentation locked in stone I will outsource more and more things to companies that can do things better with out limitations that we have at our means of manufacture. Eventually I will shed of lot of work and we will once again be more focused on next level development.

4 Likes

Sight glass finally came in. Well I did expect it to soot up, but it began this much faster than I had anticipated. So I think im going to install the tighter grate to lean it out some, I think that will be a big help. But regardless, it will need a means of easy access for cleaning. That will require some redesign to make happen. Also this hopper on the angle is a no go. When it gets low and begins to burn out, its like a gasifier and the smoke condenses and is leaking out the lid seal. So I am going to design this version so its straight vertical and also add a vent to vent some of that moisture out.

6 Likes

So today I tore it back down and clean out the sight glass. Then when I put it back together I inserted an SS screen inside the sight glass tube. So far this seems to be working but I just fired it up, so need more time. However, yesterday it started right away. This time I dont see anything on the glass yet its been about a 1/2 hour. The screen is turning black and this is ok as long as you see through it. It it works then we could make a mini chimney sweep to brush the screen to clean once in a while. Hope this works cause this is a really cool feature of this stove.

7 Likes

That is like an art object, sure hope it doesn’t soot up

3 Likes

Well the screen did seem to slow it down, but still not enough. So Ill have to experiment some more, but this will need to be put on hold. Im going to forge ahead with out it for now and make the revisions to simply make it function as intended with out the sight glass.

I have another low buck gasifier planned and need to put some time into that for this spring. This one should be simple, affordable and easy for us to manufacture at low cost. I have parts on order to build the kit. But like a previous kit I tried before; it will require some DIY and some additional purchased parts. More to come on that here very soon.

Well Ok now it decided to clean itself out lol. Stupid thing make up my mind!!!

Ok so I think I need to improve the combustion and flows. This I already have plans to fix. It has an issue with ash accumulation just below the grate after its ran for a while. This cause some flow interruption. Then this is much like a gasifer where its accumulating hopper gases with wet fuel as a result when the fuel levels get low. So this with a combination of the lower flows issue is causing to cold combustion and soots.

Yeah I had just refilled the hopper and that new feul started to process and she took off. As I was just sitting here I noticed it started clearing a hole. So I kept stoking it up and it nearly fullly cleaned the glass. So not ready to give up yet.

7 Likes

Is there a cleanout tray to empty while it is running?

1 Like

Yes there is supposed to be a removable tray, but on this one I got lazy and just made a door.

2 Likes

Ha! That is where a little hand crank auger would come in handy.

6 Likes

Don, you know if Matt puts an auger on this, he’ll have an Arduino to automate it to cycle it every 6 hours. :slight_smile: Maybe that’s a hint.

6 Likes

And if he puts an arduino he’ll have to put on a fuel hopper sensor. And if he puts on a fuel sensor he’ll have to put on an auto igniter. And if he puts on an igniter he’ll have to put of a WiFi connection …:joy::sweat_smile::laughing:

8 Likes

Well I was trying to avoid any electrical operation with the exception of the draft blower for faster start ups. But that is optional in not required. For its intended deign purpose this stove works quite well and will have the versital features Ive designed into it. The sight glass however may go away on this version and Ill just call it good. For a simple cook stove converted into a full on heater its does ok.

However hahaha. Next version of this will be a dedicated indoor stove. I am going to design this so the glass is out front and the hopper will be at the back with twin heat exchangers wrapping around it heating it. That should help with the moisture in the pellets. This will have sort of a shoot coming from the primary grate leading under the sight glass to a tighter grate. Secondary air will feed up through this grate and fully burn off any char pellets that cant get through, All ash will sift through this grate into a tray for removal. Of coarse CAD model first and then build. Right now Im designing a shipping container home, using three 20’ containers featuring a loft. This is a very detailed model, it has the containers built exact to the real things, all the truss and stick construction and flooring. Right now Im creating all the dry wall panels and installing those. This model is just about as much work as building the real thing. Im glad Im building in model space first, I would have messed it up a lot and it would have had to make due with mistakes. Model of that will come soon, I may get an architect to approve these plans and offer them later on.

1 Like

Here are some snap shots of the container home. Its a little over 500 sq ft including the loft. external walls are hidden to see inside. I still have to punch holes an walls for windows and doors yet.

6 Likes

you guys have forgotten the popcorn and hot chocolate dispensers

Hi matt is this going too be your house in time or are you building a house on the property you bought for the shop, ?.

1 Like