Time to Build?

LOL ok I know NOW is the time to build BUT…
Im wondering how long it would take to get a truck up and running on wood gas from the time I pull it in my shop?
Im pretty average in skills. Planning on following the instructions in the premium section as close as I can.
Is it complete enogh to just repeat what I see done or will I have to do a lot of thinking and individulized engineering?
Does it make a difference If I use a Dakota like I hear the vidios are of?
Or would a Dodge V-10 be just as good? Better? Would getting the 95 instead of some other year make much difference?
How about a Ford 460?
Would the year of any of them make a lot of difference in following whats done in the vidios?
Yes I realize my milage may vary but what Im looking for is your best guess on how long a convertion would take and the best base to start from?

Hi Rodney,

Wayne needs 250 hours to build a truck and he’s an expert. I’d plan at least 350 or more hours for a first time truck and unknown quantity. But honestly getting it running is only the first step, then begins the learning process. Just because you can build a helicopter doesn’t mean you can fly one. Unfortunately there’s no training process in place - you will have to go slow and try not to wreck the system while you learn.

If you’re looking for exactly what Wayne’s got then you should get exactly what he uses, meaning a Dodge Dakota or V10 Ram. If you are happy to tinker and customize a bit then go for a similar sized truck and you’ll have to work out the differences on your own. Your mileage may vary, literally.

The year does matter, too old and you miss out on the benefits of modern engine design, too new and your car may be too smart for you. Anything made in the 90s is probably OK. Tell us what you have in mind and maybe we can help.

We built a 1988 GMC 3/4 ton with a 330 hp vortec 5.7 liter engine that ran really good until the timing chain ate thru the cover and dumped all the oil. The full size bed with extended cab was great. The truck was the first one we gasified and we learned a lot from it and then it died from the transmission failure. The truck will pull trailers and will run good with a larger gasifier than the Dakota uses. The Dakotas are like sports cars and not really trucks. So a lot depends on what you are going to do with it.

The Ford 460 motor is very good for gasification. Wayne used one for over five years working his farm everyday.

New wood gas users should seriously consider thermocouple probes that will give real time temperature readings as you learn to operate. This will help you keep from overheating the gasifier and save you a lot of time and money in repairs.

New builders and operators tend to get air leaks frequently in a new system. Air mixes with wood gas to produce a hot flare inside the gasifier and will cut steel. This is where the probes will help you see the sudden increase in temperature. As you get settled in with operating and get the weak points in the system tightened up, then the probes will help you operate with the best efficiency.