Tom Collins' Gasifier

Thanks Max i got the whole picture of how too make that all work, Thanks for shareing your experties experiance. I am about half way too driveing on wood I just keep saying few more days. A lot of pluming is getting wired up now today.caint be too much longer, too be fire in the tube.

5 Likes

Yes Max,

I understand what you ment. Relative humidity will rise when pressure highers in shockeawe. I just wanted to show how the chockwawe effect other things too.

1 Like

Can it be that
The absolute humidity of the coal gas is in principle very low if the reactor is maintained at high temperature (over 1000C).
While in wood gas the water vapor is more abundant.
What do you think?

1 Like

Absolutley. Wood has exess of chemical water that is able to crack to H2, while charcoal has not. This is why we can add water in a charcoal gasifiers reaction zone.

If we had 100% conversion from wood to woodgas, useing wood with 0% moisture, the gas wuld be dry. But, we burn wood with at least 10% moisture content, and some water produces with incomplete wood to gas conversion.

5 Likes

Coal is often the simplest solution!:grinning:

2 Likes

Bump!
Tom, what’s happening in Crivitz? You’ve been quiet for a while. Snowed in or busy mowing the lawn? Maybe welding secretly? (which is forbidden)

2 Likes

I was reading some nice opinions here in the posts on this thread.
The only way to get gas dry is to cool it below dew point to condensate the moister out.
So, install an extra airco pump and heat exchanger should get the job done…
The cooler the gas gets before entering this airco cooler, the more efficient.
Because the cooler the gas, the less water can be physically hold in that gas…

Getting the gas below ambient… now that is a challenge…

3 Likes

An idea to think about. If you sprayed water on the evaporator while going down the road, wouldn’t you get evaporative cooling? Or maybe cover the tubes with absorbent material and let the water wick up from a container.

3 Likes

That is a great idea, same as cooling a radiator in the desert…
The airflow from driving together with an evaporative element works for sure
Combining solutions in any form… lovin it

Tom, it doesn’t bother me that you talk about your builds…

As Einstein said once… Imagination can bring us to the moon… and he was the one talking… :grin:

1 Like

Hi Kristijan,

Not completely true… Only pure carbon and pure oxygen will produce dry gas…
Any hydrocarbon will produce H2O on combustion, as will any cracked tar…
If in the molecular chain is a H present, it will produce H2O… and that H2O is not always reduced again in the charbed, hence the gas is moist.
Charcoal has the lowest %
Coal has a higher %
Wood even more…

3 Likes

Winter is still hanging on. I never did anything to close my shop in better so it is cold working in the there. I did try doing some forbidden welding, and I guess because it was so cold, I hurried through, and ended up warping the pieces. When I screw up like that, I loose interest, so haven’t been back out. Seams like I do this every year. I missed going to Argos last year for about the same reason — the winter project went into the spring. Well for sure, I’m not going to get my project done sitting down here, enjoying talking to you you. TomC

1 Like

Hi Tom, you and I are in the same situation. I have to weld out side and it is just to cold in the winter, now it is raining. Hope it will dry out soon. I have never had much luck at welding when it is real cold. I like my metal warm and dry, and my hands and body too.
Bob

4 Likes

Say Bob
You should try welding in the wet
It is very stimulating!

3 Likes

No thank you Michael, I may have a electronic reaction from electrocution. It would spoil my DOW fun.
Bob

You see, that’s what I’m talking about. If you only had posted - if we only had known - that would never had happened. We would have pushed you through that stage - no problem :smile:

3 Likes

Hi, Tom!

At this time I am trying to assist a young chemist who has a lot of energy to build new style solutions to his car.

As this goes on, I do my best to find explanations of how and why a methode or practice is presented.

It is natural that others may take some interest in it too, but it can hardly be of any greater value if somebody starts to assert that the presenter thinks this, or is motivated by that, completely out in the blue…far off from reality.

I think nobody enjoys assertions of thinking and doing headless things…if it is not a good joke.

I think it is better and more fair to ask about uncertain things than claiming that somebody says this or that.

And one can put fair questions on one’s own “page”; they will usually be answered in some way…

4 Likes

Hello Max;
This is the second time you have posted this exact post. I understand that you help many people with there gasification projects. That is admirable. I have no idea what you are talking about with the two following quotes;[quote=“gasman, post:592, topic:1225”]
if somebody starts to assert that the presenter thinks this, or is motivated by that, completely out in the blue…far off from reality.
[/quote]

This is my page and so by your rules I am allowed to ask this fair question. What have I said "that the presenter ( obviously meaning you) thinks, or is motivated by that------reality?
Then the part about claiming “that somebody says this or that”. If I mentioned something that someone else has said, and I don’t remember of doing that, I would only do it to ask confirmation on your thoughts of the subject. TomC

Hi, Tom!

For short: No more than anybody else, do I like that words are put in the mouth by others. I do not want to return to this subject.

I would like to discuss “cooling hot gases”. I just finished re-reading the post that Pepe put on about a 28 Model A and a an Opel Kadet. Both using WWII gasifiers. The Model A’s gas cooling system, is just the size of the A’s radiator. The Opel has just a small tower right on the gasifier. Today on the other hand, we have tubing running all around the bed of our trucks.
I had over 15 ft of 3" exhaust pipe covered with 4" heater piping. The gas entered the 3" pipe at one end and the air entered the 4" at the other end— counter flow heat exchanger. When I cut it apart, I found that the 3" tubing was so thick that it absorbed the heat in about the first 2 or 3 ft of that 15 ft pipe. Then the heat was transferred to the 4" pipe in the last couple of feet of piping. Not the pre-heat I had hoped,
I still have 38 ft of 4" schedule 40 pipe around the bed for cooling. Where the gas goes into the cooling rails, the rails get hot, but by the time it comes out, the tubing is still just warm. That rails is VERY heavy and I am wanting to loose some weight.
So I am trying to understand the WWII cooling systems.TomC