Tom Collins' Gasifier

Mr Tom,
You said you just had redone all of the “guts” in the gasifier. You didn’t show/tell us about it, did you?

Don I like it in a unit like that. Where do you find such things?

Tom,
Look at my gasifier and you will see l only use (aproximate) 30feet of 1 1/2 alu tubing as a cooler. But! As JO sayd, turbolence. In my case, l have a sheat steel zigzag in each pipe (allso inspited by Jans woodgas boiler). Allso aids to condensing surface area.
And allso, aluninium is much more heat conductive. And rust resistant and light. Love it.
I think the radiator wuld be too restrictive. Why not use a intercooler rather thain a radiator? With a good hot filter you culd make some great cooler…

Don, when are we goeing to see the rest of the thing? I am waiting oatiently for some time now :smile:

JO You have to go back to post 483 ( ? ) to see the guts. Other than that, all of my time has been taking my counterflow heat ex-changer apart and saving tubing. I made a new cyclone filter and had to plumb that in in a new location. That will all show up when and if I get it running. TomC------ to the shop, to the shop. I see I have gotten several replies, but I will wait till I get some shop time in before I come back down here.

NIce Don!
I’m curious, with all the soot people have building up in their cooling rails, do you have an easy way to clean these out?

I took apart a gas furnace. There are more useful things in there to salvage. I do not think I will need it but an electric radiator fan could assist further cooling.

Sorry Kristijan, I have been extremely busy lately. I had good intentions to have it ready for Argos this week but that is not going to happen. I will just bring the Tracker again. I really need to retire.:smile:[quote=“BillSchiller, post:606, topic:1225”]
I’m curious, with all the soot people have building up in their cooling rails, do you have an easy way to clean these out?
[/quote]

I will have washout caps at the top side of each tank like I did before and that works well. I think vertical surfaces are almost self cleaning with the condensate running down the sides. I never had much build up in the Tracker tanks.

2 Likes

Hi don thanks for posting the weight, it seem like light enough, i may try that syle cooler on my s10 project, hope too have it ready by next year argos, are you pulling the gas down or up for best condence cooling action.

Gas in at top - out of bottom - mainly because of easier plumbing routing.

1 Like

Kristijan; I didn’t realize you ended up with 30 ft of aluminum tubing in your cooler. I would very much like to use aluminum except for a couple of problems. I don’t see any nice aluminum pipe in the scrap pile at the iron & steel junk yard where I go for my materials. Never priced any new material. The other thing is welding aluminum. I have never been successful welding it, which would be important in order to build cooling rails.
I would agree that a radiator would be restrictive, and probably plug with soot. But the clearance in a intercooler is not any larger than a radiator so would have the same problems. Plus, the intercoolers I looked at are expensive.
You are very good a thinking outside the box. I was hoping you would come up with an idea similar to the WWII gasifier coolers or maybe something like that '28 Model A that was just posted. Any thought you might have would be appreciated. TomC

Hello Max; Would there be any chance that you could make a rough free hand sketch of this cooling set up ------ maybe some arrows to point out the “center string”, “bottom bucket”, how the intermediate bottom distributes hot sooty gas, the lower part collects the soot, and how turning the tubes activates or closes their inlets.
Please understand that I am interested in building a new cooling system using vertical tubes, and I would like to incorporate any new ideas that you may be suggesting. As I told JO, I am about to put my gasifier back together with new designed innards Most of them have come from your postings — angle iron grate, 10 nozzles instead of 5, and ash insulated reduction wall… TomC

Thanks Don M i think that might be better cooling , anyway see how it plums later, got the toy motor in working on idle air leak bugs and finish my new dash fab. Took a 2" chunk out of crosmember notch. Make more oil pan room, original toy mounts sitting right on the frame like the chevy motor mounts. Took a long time too move all the wire harnis and secure,though too my surprize no wire harnis had too be made made longer. Had too put toy style heater box in cab too have more engine space. And i for got too say, i had too put a geo metro gas tank behind the rear axel too leave room for center mount burn tube housing around drive shaft area and still keep above the bottom of frame rails clean out cans./pulled fuel pump out of toy tank/ fabed in geo tank bracket.BBB.

Tom C i hope that info on my project dont interupt your project. And if i had the cash i would much rather bought a newer s10 4.3 as the milege is pretty close around 20 mpg any way.Good luck with your latest gasifier change over model.

How to wash deposits in an intercooler ?

Hi, Tom!
It is “parked” in a developement stage…
Center strings you can see on your garden, when a burst of wind sweeps up som dust around a corner… as a swirl.

Triguaux,
The anwser might be a hot filter, althugh tarless soot washes out easy too.

Tom,
On cooling the gas, yes, l have many ideas, some are crazy, too crazy to post here :smile:
I think it wuld be nice to combine a gas scrubber with a gas cooler, and l might do something in this dirrection on my next build.

1 Like

Kristijan!
You might actually be onto something there.
As you know I blow my woodgas into the condensation tank before reaching the cooler. I have found that if I leave a few liters in there I can run quite a long time before railtemp climbs above boiling temp. It takes lots of energy to warm the water to boiling temp and a lot to make steam.

3 Likes

Kristijan; Many geniuses were thought to be crazy before they “proved” their theory. Let you genius free to fly. TomC

1 Like

BURNING TAR; A short time ago there was a posting on another thread about putting a ring around the inside of the fire tube on top of the nozzles ( for Imbert style gasifiers) I would like you to look at the pictures and see if this is anything like what was being suggested. In order to make the ring fit tight to the wall of the fire tube, I have formed a ring that fits so tight to the wall that it has to be tapped into place. I am concerned that with heat expansion, the ring will expand and buckle… I have in mind a slip joint that I can make in the ring, but I’m afraid the ring will not fit tight enough to the wall to make it air tight. TomC

2 Likes

What’s the ring for?

Bill, I always use what I.call.a tar fence which forces tar gases through the nozzle tips. This ring does the same thing when you have I short nozzles. That is what I think was posted TomC

1 Like