Tom Collins' Gasifier

Thanks Al. I didn’t know that I couldn’t use a welding torch with propane— I tried it and you are right. I had a special tip for my cutting torch when I cut with it. Are you saying to brazen with propane I can use a regular oxy/act cutting torch? TomC

4 Likes

yep, adjust your heat down.but it has to be for propane-2 piece tip

4 Likes

We just used the smaller simple copper tips used for welding, rather then the cutting torch tips for more control.

You can always make an acetylene generator and your own acetylene. lol

2 Likes

Don, Can we see a picture of your cutting torch, tanks, however you have it rigged?

1 Like

Sure thing Rindert, I will do that next time I get to my shop.

5 Likes

Hi Tom if you have any interest in trying a new rope door seal, i just seen some ceramic rope seal, with or without the outer wire mesh, so maybe can just buy the wire mesh a size larger and use it as dool seal stableizor with out all the silicone stiffening, might help with door sealing better.At cera-materials.com company.

3 Likes

Here is their home page.

:blush:

2 Likes

Good place to get ceramic fiber if you want to try that design for a WK gasifier. Don’t know what the other products would be for like carbon stuff. TomC

2 Likes

Hi tom yes the ceramic blanket helped on my WK . since my Wk was over weight thick on the burn tube and radiators around the intake, it took too much time heating up, had i followed the book and built on the light side of the book, it would have heated up Quicker. So the blanket seemed too heat up faster ready too drive. The rope seal i was refering too i havent tryed yet, i dont know if they sell just the wire mesh seperate from the ceramic rope or not.Seemed like might be worth trying rope seal with the wire mesh outer. Then again the wood rosin might make it stiff anyway.

2 Likes

A pottery place might sell the rope by the foot if you don’t want to buy 100ft of it. I would contact the local potters guild to see if they know a source for it. Chances they do as it looks like it is used for a kiln seal.

2 Likes

Hi Tom,
I am a bit behind . . . .wife just had hip replacement surgery. I am the go’fer, chauffeur, laundry-man, cook, exercise-nag, grocery shopper, etc.

Do NOT even think about shop/garage heating with a wood gasifed vehicle.
Do NOT even think about shop/garage heating with a charcoal powered vehicle.

You purpose intent with these is to produce at least an 18-20% strong carbon monoxide “killer” gas.
This is 8-10X as strong as the stinkiest old gasoline vehicle.

Do not park a wood/charcoal gasified vehicle system INSIDE until is has gone COMPLETELY hand on cold anywhere you can touch feel it!
Otherwise the still hot internal charcoal will be out gassing CO. Pressurizing the system. You WILL have outgas CO leaking.

A proper wood stove/furnace system is always under negative keep-safe internal outflowing draft-induced pressure.
Why I hate rocket-stoves!! Not safe in shut down, cooling down modes! Geek-killers.

The only two ways to safe park a gasified vehicle inside is to:

1. never have lit off; and heated up the gasifier system. Used a secondary, on-off safe-fuel; (battery-electric, propane, gasoline, diesel) to move it inside.
  2. after gasifier using, let that vehicle sit outside for at least 12 hours/overnight until completely gone cold and non-reacting.

This IS in all of the Swedish/German gasifier safety regulations and training/operations manuals.
People died learning this.
People and pets will die ignoring this.
S.U.

12 Likes

Hi Steve,
I wish your wife a speedy and complete recovery. My dad had hip replacement
and the only caveat from his doctor was “don’t ski”. He was fine with that and
the replacement never bothered him. We were all thankful!
Pepe

5 Likes

Hi Steve, let your wife know I am praying for a speedy recovery for her and I am praying for you also, for strength and good health for you in taking good care of her. May God Bless You Both. In Jesus Name.
Bob

4 Likes

Hi Steve wish you the best takeing care of the better half as they say.The wood truck heating thought might have been my mistake, I menchened it, thanks for detailing why not too heat with it in the building, as you said negitive preasure is needed like a normal wood heating chimney effect draft, and no inturnal preasure gassing up in the shop.

4 Likes

Steve, Thanks for the warning/reminder. About 30 years ago I was called to install a security system in a house that would be left uninhabited because the owner suddenly and unexpectedly died in his sleep. Since he was over 60 years old, it was assumed he died of a heart attack in his sleep. While running wires in the basement, I smelled hot fumes and discovered the furnace flue pipe had fallen off of the furnace. Our unfortunate home owner was poisoned by an appliance that produced CO as an undesirable by product. My gasifier produces CO intentionally, with a concentration as high as possible. Better safe than (unable to be) sorry.

7 Likes

I wish your wife a fast and successful recovery. A few years back when I fell out of the back of my truck, I broke my hip and they wanted to replace my hip. The doctor said he could screw it together. Worked out good.

You said alot about what not to do to heat a shop but nothing I can do.TomC

4 Likes

Steve, hang in there as house husband, my new hip is going on 4 yrs. doing great. She’ll be back at it in no time.

4 Likes

Al; By two piece tip do you mean a regular propane cutting tip? I had a regular propane tip and it was two pieces and put out a “star” pattern flame, not just a single candle like flame. TomC

4 Likes

That is all I ever use with propane and oxygen. Just back off on the oxy to heat without the star flame.

6 Likes

Thanks Don; I have been given 3 cutting torches one is an CGC ( compressed gas company) which has been out of business for so long I can’t find anything on the net about it. One is a Marquette which looks to be in fair condition. The tip looks like it might be a Victor copy. The other is a big old cutting torch without the mix chamber. I bought a new Hobart mixing chamber and one weld/braze tip. Either I have to buy the Hobart cutting torch and propane tip, or buy a propane tip for the Marquette. It is a little big for welding/brazing. Man, so many problems.

What size tip do you have for propane cutting and weld/brazing— would you recommend it??? Thanks again Don. TomC

3 Likes