Tom Collins' Gasifier

I have no idea what size tip it is. It came as a set from harbor freight years ago and I used it all this time for everything without changing it from the cutting tip.

4 Likes

Yes Tom that’s it.:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: There are charts on line for tip to metal thickness sizing. I would get the smallest one to weld with, I think an O, or 1 if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Sorry guys but I just have to post this off subject— My nephew has been up hunting since Sat. We have had a blow normal temperatures, so after three days sitting out there in wind chill temperatures of about 17 F and shooting three deer, he decided to take the day off. He just showed up at my door with all his goose hunting clothing on, and asked me how I get to the river for canoeing. The river isn’t frozen yet and he bought a new fang-dangle boat that is a lot like a canoe, but is a catamaran, with a seat all down the middle and I guess you paddle it like a canoe. He is going to float the river on his day off from hunting deer. He is NUTS. Did I tell him that??? Hell yes!!! It is what it is. TomC

11 Likes

You must be old or something :grin:

7 Likes

Tom,
You may consider to retract if a steak is about to enter your table :grin:
Sunday we were invited to daughter’s place for wild boar burgers.
I’m really glad she developed an interest in hunting. For some reason I never did, but I can relax now and stick to my wood :smile:

9 Likes

Yes Don, that is a fact. When I get a little more time I will tell you a story on just how old I am getting.

Yes JO, I fair quite well for not being a hunter. Usually they give us a deer for letting them hunt on my land, and then after we eat it all we go to their freezer for more, because they hardly ever eat venison. One deer this year is going to get chunked up so the ladies can can it. My wife and her sister got to talking about how good grandma’s venison was that was canned. In the mean time I’m with you. A couple of more hours work in my cold shop and I will have it sealed up for heating. TomC

7 Likes

Pressure canned meat is well worth the effort.

If you have access to ducks or geese, try canning them - a couple tablespoons tomato puree, a tsp or salt, what a treat, best way I’ve ever eaten them. Plus a great way to process wildfowl, so they aren’t taking up space in a freezer.

7 Likes

Given this is a woodgas list, I would think smoking them would be far more appropriate. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You have to love a woman that hunts!

7 Likes

Hello Friends; I am looking for an electrical technician for a little project. I have had too many problems with thermocouples and readers. The best one I have found is a 2 channel “instrument”. ( would have to go out to the shop and look at it to tell you the name) Anyway, I used it when going to Argos a few years back and it worked the best of any I have had. It has it’s own battery (AA or AAA) so eliminated the problem with trying to use the car battery — which in most cases doesn’t work. The only problem I have with it is, it has a timer that shuts it off after a minute or so. It is a big hassle to restart, you have to make choices between degrees F and C and I think K. Also pick your channel which is just another look at the present reading and picking between the two. Driving through Chicago at night in the traffic, that was almost impossible to do. So if I send it to you or buy another and have it sent to you can you remove the timer so it is “on” or “off”. TomC

3 Likes

Hmmmm!!! No reply to my request for an electrical person to modify my thermocouple reader. TomC

1 Like

Another request— can one of the Europeans help me find Max Gasman??? I know we have had little to say about Imbert gasifiers, so maybe he just doesn’t have anything to say. None the less it has been months since he has posted. I have sent him several personal E-mails, with no answer. TomC

4 Likes

Tom, this is what I use, all run off of reg 12v from truck; https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Type-Thermocouple-Exhaust-Probe-High-Temperature-Sensors-Threads-2M-EGT-/372441421443?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Thermocouple-Meter-LED-Display-K-Type-Industrial-Gauge-XH-B310-BG/113559928113?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D0e23fa963cfa48c49ffaaf76a3e7aeb2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D253950667045%26itm%3D113559928113&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yes Tom, I was just thinking of Max yesterday the same thing, @gasman Max are you out there my friend, We miss your informative input and Ideas on DOW.
Bob

1 Like

Max did mention awhile ago about having computer problems of some sorts.
Bob

1 Like

Tom,
About the tc-reader-timer. I have little experience of tc-readers but a WAG is the timer is integrated in the reader’s circuit board and that’s where I’m lost.
There are several threads on here on guages. It seems several people use tc equipment. I can’t make suggestions myself because I use a $5 meat/oven probe for my hopper. The reader is always on and it has an alarm setting. Powered by one single AAA battery which lasts for years. Works excellent.

I do live in Europe and closer to Max, but still not next door.
I was thinking the same thing too the other day.
I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to get in touch with him outside DOW.

2 Likes

Tom, that portable thermocouple meter’s timer is probably built into the “chip” that is running the meter and not re-programmable. I am not advising you to take the case apart, but if you did, you would find battery contacts, a few membrane switches, and a miniature IC sweat-soldered to the circuit board then covered in epoxy resin. That is just the way things are in this modern world. Like Al suggested, get a panel-type meter that runs off of 12vdc vehicle supply, or a separate (smaller) battery pack if you need an isolated ground.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the response. Max is a very private person, so I’m not surprised that we don’t have anyway of contacting him. At one time, I new his real name, but as usual, I’ve forgotten it— as if that would help us.

Mike, thank you for the comment about my TC meter. I had a slight understanding about transistors, but I know NOTHING about chips. I was thinking it was an individual timing component and it could be bypassed with a hot wire. I think you made me understand that a chip is an extremely small component that can NOT be modified.

JO; I did take your suggestion and purchased a “meat thermometer” like you had said. It looked good, but had only about a 1 m lead on it. I was planning to take apart a telephone cable, which contains 4 very fine individual wires and using them to splice into the thermometer’s cable to make it longer. Unfortunately, it was in the shop at the time of the fire. ( I think I paid $15 from Walmart.
I was just thinking that calling between countries in Europe, was more like calling between states over here. You and Kristijan do talk on the phone don’t you??

Al; Thank you for the suggestion. I didn’t know we could get readers like that, that didn’t need a separate power source. I think I will order a couple, and hopefully they will fit in my panel where the ones are that I use to use.

Again Thank you all for your replies. TomC

PS “wind chill” tonight and tomorrow will be -40 F. ( did I figure correctly, that would also be -40 C ?)

7 Likes

Hello Tom.
I have a couple of these Type K Thermocouple readers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Type-Thermometer-Sensor-TM902C-Temperature-Meter-Thermocouple-probe/283245324161?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D39f233929165428884e6b39003aa6030%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D192740333610%26itm%3D283245324161&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
It costs about USD$5.00
Then I get this probe:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-3M-Thermocouple-Cable-K-type-100mm-Probe-Sensor-100-1250-Degree/301920545150?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D39f233929165428884e6b39003aa6030%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D192740333610%26itm%3D301920545150&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
It costs about USD$3.00

I disconnect the little cloth covered probe that comes with the meter from its connector and hook the connector to the new (metallic shielded) probe.
This setup is internal battery powered. I haven’t found this same style device that reads in degrees F, but I can handle degrees C okay.

By the way, George Adams and Pete Stanaitis (me), who live on the west side of Wisconsin have done a lot of work with thermocouples and higher temperature readings, if you need some help.

Just a note for future thermocouple work: You generally need special lead wire from the thermocouple itself to the instrument to maintain accuracy of the readings. This is because there actually is a voltage generated at the junction of (almost) any two dissimilar metals. The voltage generated at every junction with the wrong connecting leads can either add to or subtract from the actual voltage generated at the thermocouple.

8 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions Pete. I have to have a reader that reads in * F. Past “o” and “100” I can not visualize * C.
As for the thermo-couples themselves, I believe I have always purchase from the sight that you listed. I like that they have the “+” and “-” leads color coded. If I get the readers that Al suggested, I hope the ends of the TC that is on the meter is marked so I can hook the new TC’s up properly. I think a lot of the problems I had with TCs was connecting up power and TC leads to the readers. I’m not worth a darn when it comes to electricity. TomC

1 Like