Took the bike to the show today

Took my charcoal powered mini bike to the car show today. I couldn’t believe the interest. Everyone seemed to really dig the bike but when they found it also ran on charcoal they really hit me with the questions. Although it runs OK on charcoal I didn’t run it on charcoal there. I had intended to run it through the parade but with belt slipping issues and no time to correct them I chose no to. I did bring my battery charging gasifier set up to run and show. It has no carb or fuel tank just a couple ball valves. It is very predictable with a five minute to flair or engine grade gas and starts almost instantly every time. It will ideal very slowly or just scream. It has a 3.5hp @4000 rpm Fuji /Robin engine with no govener. It will rev till it sounds like it is going to have kittens. Every one was very impressed with the way it performed and with no fuel system there was no doubt it was running on charcoal. There were only 3 bikes there , mine, a very nice clean wide glide, and a super nice custom bobber. My rattie old pos taking home the gold.

22 Likes

Way to go Jim! You earned it. Goes to show that good ole ingenuity is more interesting than the shiny stuff.

3 Likes

Wow Jim, that is cool!

1 Like

Congratulations, so cool Jim, people want to see something different that isn’t the same old same old that every body has done before. Good job on your bike.
Bob

2 Likes

once more Gold for the dark side… :grin:

3 Likes

Love your bike!! Culd you maybee tell me some specifications on it? Displacement, charcoal consumption, drive range… Charcoal powerd motor bikes are my first love :blush: and an unforgoten one…

2 Likes

Keep up the good work Jim.

Looking good :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve seen pics of these before, but would love to see some pics of whatever innards you could easily expose. Nice custom “bobber” and wide “glide”. OK, what are these items?
Pepe

3 Likes

Kristijan , It started its life as a Check built 125 cc somewhere between 1948 and 1953. I found it at a swap meet in Iola WI about 4 -5 years ago. It was a rolling frame with about 1/2 the disassembled engine and trans in a bucket. I put it together using only junk on hand. The engine I used is a 8 hp Briggs & Stratton I think is real close to 300 cc. I chose it because of what I have it was closest to the right vintage and was also black with a matching patina to the bike. It also was large enough to present a challenge getting it into the frame. I have no idea of top speed but do know I don’t want to ever find out! It is at this time geared to high but the front tire is original and neither are safe to go very fast at all. As far as fuel consumption I don’t know that either. I put it together 2 years ago and only drove it about 10 minutes on charcoal then .The rings were bad and valves not sealing. I tore it down to rebuild back then and just reassembled it within the last 2 weeks missing the show last week I got it going just in time for this week. There are still many things needing attention and has only had one ten minute run on charcoal this time around as well. This is my fifth engine on 1of three gasifires I have built. All of the others have been heavily loaded on all runs with sizes ranging from 98 cc to 400cc and all seemed to burn close to a gallon an hour although I have never measured very accurately. I did have one run on the little 98 cc Kawasaki engine and two year old charcoal that used about twice that This bike will never see any real street use and be mostly used as a promotional tool.

5 Likes

Pepe they were both $20,000 plus Harley Davidson motorcycles.

3 Likes

The best car show story ever Jim! Maybe frame that picture you posted here and hang it on the wall with your story

4 Likes