Tools, Tips and Tricks

Now I see it! Pitch is not constant over the length! Wow, nice piece of work :grinning:

You can buy loose blades, no problem. I just did for a costumer. The stock screwblade was to thin in his opinion. Ok, we make a special one for you :grinning:. Special price of course…

6 Likes

Cody, I have made control cables using SS thin gauge cable and liners from MIG welders or plastic tubing. For my non-critical uses, the replacement of a mower, tiller controls, or our wood furnace draft and damper, they hold up OK.
Kent

5 Likes

That’s some amazing work Francois. I don’t have a clue about how I would go about making those shapes, even with the jig you made for your press.

9 Likes

Francois, Thats a lot of btu per hour. I would love to see pictures of the boiler. What do you use all the heat for?

7 Likes

It is a boiler of two MW/h, with hot water, to circulate in a dryer belt finally to remove the humidity from the sawdust to manufacture pellets.

7 Likes

Here I have spliced a dimmer switch into a short extension cord. The volt meter gives me an indication of how hot the soldering iron is going to be.
Rindert

7 Likes

Tell me about rheostats and electric motors. I am wanting to make a filter with a blower out of a 5 gal shop vac. I want to vary the blower speed but I find conflicting information on-line about whether connecting the motor to a rheostat would damage the motor or not.

3 Likes

A router speed control should work for a universal motor like on a shop vac.

3 Likes

Is there a router speed control that is a separate component, like something you would attach to a router table and then plug the router into?

1 Like

I think you can get those, they plug in before the router to the wall.

1 Like

Horrer Freight has these.

7 Likes

Sure you can do that. I have an old vacuum cleaner that I use as a blower for various things I do. Black is hot when you’re talking AC so I would put it in that wire. Here is my blower, putting air to my forge.
Rindert

Warning. Use rheostats only on brush type motors. You will kill an AC motor it you put it on a rheostat. If you don’t know what I’m talking about it’s safest to just use on/off switches.

9 Likes

Anvils made from Railroad Rail Sections:
I hope this is not too far off topic, but it IS about fabrication.
I recently made one more railroad rail anvil. This one is a bit different, since I am trying to make the anvil’s horn as strong as possible:

13 Likes

Maybe he is intoo BLACK MAJIC-- i seen those BS claims before, if it did some how roltate both motors, it would take a thousand of them too have usable power left over, most likley.

2 Likes

Ditch the flux core and use stainless wire (308l works for most) and pick up a small bottle of tri-gas. back shielding is mostly necessary when the welds must be perfect and free of contaminants (i.e. food grade piping). do not shield with the 75/25 it must contain argon. if you have much to do, a cheap tig would be a worth while investment.

4 Likes

A little tip, so easy probably all know it already, but if only one like it, it’s worth sharing :smiley:
Showeling chunks or charcoal in a bag can be cumbersome, especially if one uses net-bags like i prefer to. It can be a real pita, you need atleast four hands to hold them bags open…

All thats needed is a plastic bucket without bottom (usually fixes itself if left outside during freezing temperatures :roll_eyes:)
Some binding wire as hook’s (yellow arrow)

This bag-bucket can be hanged from a rope, or standing with help from some wooden legs.

12 Likes

Another tip if someone missed it: sometimes i have noticed i’ve needed a flushing port, or for inspection, drilling a hole is’nt a problem, but sometimes it’s cumbersome to weld a threaded bung or like, to close the hole when not in use.
On cooler parts of gasifier systems these works extremely well: expanding plug, used for marine applications.

Can be found fairly cheap on boat supply stores (in Sweden-Biltema)
These fits in both sheet metal and thicker pieces, just drill a proper size hole.
Made of sea-water resistant brass, don’t corrode by woodgas.

12 Likes

Tip:
If you put dry teabags in your boots they will absorb the odor, but the tea tastes so bad that it’s almost not worth it.

15 Likes

I feel relieved i only drink coffee :smile:

8 Likes

Is there is consensus on a good cheap HHO generator? At some point, I am going to need a small torch that can melt high temp silver solder (minimum of 1,325°F (718°C) ), and I don’t want to store or use gas like propane or mapp inside as I don’t have the right ventilation.

8 Likes