Tools, Tips and Tricks

Heavy rain, thunder, lightning and a powerout.
What to do?
I made a cup of coffee on the kitchen wood stove and the sun showed up again. Sitting sipping on the porch but still no power - I’ll have another cup.

10 Likes

What are you cutting? Is it heavy? Is it up off the ground on saw horses? Does it have sharp edges?..… Where is your extension cord going to be when that sharp heavy pieces falls down???

13 Likes

Thumbs down to that! Second worst experience I’ve had with power tools. The other one was having to use an angle grinder to cut exhaust off and it caught and scared the crap out of me when it jumped. I never lock down the switch on a power tool because I’ve always been paranoid of that.

8 Likes

Been there done that. Lol
Bob

8 Likes

That is also why they invented hard toe boots
Endever to persevere

9 Likes

Cody’s comment reminds me of problems when hand drilling large holes with powerful drill motors:

Pete Stanaitis

5 Likes

Copper seal from capillary tube 3mm, wrap the tube to the desired size, cut it at an angle of 45° and solder the joint with copper solder

7 Likes

Here’s a quick and dirty way to solve a hydraulic oil leak

6 Likes

Cody , a sealant for sealing hot joints and narrow contact surfaces

9 Likes

This may have been posted before :man_shrugging: How to hand sharpen band sawmill blades. cheap easy and effective. plus my big secret reveal. - YouTube

7 Likes

Tried searching the forum for a wire wheel that will actually last a length of time. Couldn’t find the post. Who knows of a good flat and cupped wire wheel that fits a 5/8" Arbor?

3 Likes

Not Harbor Freight. You will look like a porcupine after using their flat wheel. I’ve been using Dewalt and they have lasted. Just got them because I was at Lowes and it was convenient.

6 Likes

CodyT try viewing this guys for directions on wire wheels:

#1 of course is safety.
#2 effectiveness as related to time-to-use and costs to use.

Not so important to find which brand is the best. But to find which brands-suppliers to avoid due to #1, and #2.

Just me because I am Washington State “Home-Of-Amazon” who meddles entirely too much into my state’s politics.
I’ll favor much to walk-in buy and even pay more. Local hardware stores. Chain AG stores. Then maybe the big box home&improvement stores.
My wife; two of my three sisters; have no problem feeding the Amazon engulf and devour beast.
Any buy-out small items shipped-in I want from USPS; UPS, FedEx. Neutrals. Unbiased.
Steve Unruh

Hmm. I should add better rate the best, and most effective face shields too. Power wire wheeling has been the most bounce up off your chest, up under, eye pokers in my experiences.

6 Likes

I agree Tom, but on some of them were made different and have lasted. Must be a different manufacturer.
It is a craps shoot when buying them at HF.
Bob

6 Likes

this is why we call it the hazard fraught :joy:

3 Likes

I like to call it the Horror Fright :joy:

Their Hercules brand is pretty decent for power tools. My angle grinder has been through the wringer and still runs.

4 Likes

I have one of those too and it’s worked well. I used to buy Menard’s brand Master Force tools like angle grinders because I’ve been through so many of them and Menard’s brand has a five year take back to the store warranty. I don’t know if they still do.

3 Likes

My old HF angle grinder finally guit. Lots of use. The brushes wore out. If I can find some brushes it would run some more. My new one a little bigger more power came with a extra set of brushes, good deal and thinking on the manufacturers part. The brushes are built bigger more heavy duty. We will see if this grinder last longer with extra brushes or not. Its a Craps shoots come on snake eyes. Yes.
Bob

4 Likes

I’ve used a couple of the HF angle grinders. The cheapest one, ~$10, didn’t last. The ~$30 is okay and still going. But my favorite is ~$30 Skill. About the same amps as the HF one. Its a little heavier but really cuts a lot faster, for some reason.
Rindert

3 Likes

Thats the angle grinder I bought at HF it comes with the extra set of brushes. It can handle 4" 6" 7" wheels with grinding guards shields to go with it. Easy to adjust the it too. I like it so far. Lots of power.
Hope it lasts for years.
Bob

3 Likes