Toyota Corolla Charcoal Vehicle Gasifier Project

Are you referring to me, or Gary G? What you describe sounds very weird…

I received a private message from Steve with the same wording as his post above. I replied to that message.

Hi, Garry T!

Yes, Garry Tait, I was addressing you.

And the weared thing is, that it was annonymous; like somebody trying to steer the exchange of messages and the going on conversation!

And leaving no traces behind.

Wow, that’s crazy, as I had made no comment, or PM.

What would be the benefit for someone to manipulate the conversation?

Very glad that you have identified this fishy business.

Hi, Garry T!

It may be this: I use Firefox “at this time of the year”, and Firefox just put me a
VISIBLE note inquireing if I am to accept
“Web Push notfications” !

Still a completely annonymous action with a completely hidden “autor”!
Additionally it would include background editorial actions behind the receiver’s back and control…

This is “very aggrevating”, as Wayne puts it…

Still the initiator remains anonymous in the shadows!

1 Like

Bruce,
I didn’t receive your personal message to my email about my request for more information about your grinder. That is why I repeated my request here. Could you reply again here? Thanks.

Steve,

I use 4" PVC. The end opposite the toilet flange is stopped with a coupling, but a cap would do the same thing. Trying to break charcoal between wider fingers instead of over a thin blade may be too hard for a hand crank. Any handyman or carpenter should ave a bunch of old saw blades lying around.

Bruce,

I found a used saw blade supplier. What spacing would you recommend for the blades and what did you use as spacers between them on you grinder? Also, did you use 3/8 inch bolts for the projections on the grinder pipe? Any other details or thoughts for improvements you can supply will be appreciated. I’m hoping to build a grinder like yours by the time I have to process my next batch of charcoal. Thanks.

I would use standard 3/4" material, either boards or plywood for spacers. I would also make the spacer radius 5/8" less than the blade radius. With a 1/8" spacing between the blades and your pipe, you would have a 3/4" square opening for charcoal to pass. I would use 5/16 bolts spaced on center at 3/4" plus the width/kerf of your blades. (The width of the heads across the points on 3/8" bolts would only give you 1/16 inch clearance on each side between blades which doesn’t allow enough wiggle room.)

Bruce, thanks for the additional information on the charcoal grinder. I’ll give your ideas a try when I process more charcoal.

Had a good ten mile road trip last Thursday. Climbed a couple of hills. Made a couple of stops. Best performance yet—good power. Got up to sixty once. Forty-five is a comfortable speed. Used only water, no exhaust gas. Reaction was too hot. Will use more water next time and perhaps some exhaust gas if overheating detected. As I expected, the stainless steel pipe nipple nozzle is not going to hold up for very long. Used about one gallon/pound of softwood charcoal per mile. I have a half dozen slight modifications in mind. SWEM.

3 Likes

Hi Steve, The stainless steel nozzle will not hold up for long unless you cool the reaction with exhaust gas. Adding more water will not do it. If you add enough water to cool the nozzle, you will find a lot of it condensing out after it leaves the gasifier. At least that is my experience. Glad you are up and running. Fun, isn’t it???
Gary in PA

4 Likes

That is the spirit of a pioneer craftsman… if you can do without them, then you’ll understand them better when you’ll have them.

You’r learning by doing… small steps for mankind, huge leap for yourself.

Don’t forget on your to do list on next trip: a basket of lemons to compensate for your grin…

1 Like

Congrats, Steve!
I was using my charcoal grinder yesterday. And I was thinking of you. I noticed that my two rows of spiral bolts are lined up 180* across from each other. So, If you have thinner walled plastic pipe, you might consider using pieces of threaded rod instead of short bolts. The rods would pass through both sides of the pipe with nuts inside and out to give rigidity to your studs.

2 Likes

My '89 Camry woodgas candidate also. I need to give you a visit soon!

1 Like

Thats a nice hopper on the roof… :grin:

8 Likes

Hi Everybody.
I have started a new topic with a collections of my drawings, part list, spec’s sheet, and/or operations procedures, it is call: “Drawings of charcoal gasifiers for vehicles”. In this new topic is included the work I have done for this topic. Thank’s Steve.

4 Likes

Gave Steve a visit today! Successful run of the Toyota. Had some fun and laughs. Gasifier performed well and drove a few miles. Thanks Steve Bowman for your time!

5 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

A drive down the road.

7 Likes