Tractor with gas?

It sounds very good, now you make me curious if my tractor can run as well as yours.

4 Likes

Great results Tone.
Throttle controlling the air into a compression ignition engine is some we are unfamiliar with.
I am putting up an Engineering explanation on my own topic about the differences between hydrogen fueled IC engines versus gasoline fueled IC engine. Please watch in CC, translated carefully. I think he explains the multiple reasons your engine ran on woodgas once warmed up with the diesel accidentally shut off.
You are using no spark ignition, only injection timing advance, yes.
Regards
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

I will not complicate things too much about the gasifier, I will use 3 different metal barrels to make it, and I have a used expansion vessel ready for the upper part. Everything will be assembled in such a way that it will also be quickly disassembled, the hot parts inside are sealed with ash, … this is a sketch, …

7 Likes

Simple is always best! Looks great

6 Likes

You will use an opened top grate basket attached to an upwards rod shaft, yes?
The rod shaft rotatable?
Smart to heat remove from the rod-shaft with the incoming air. Energy transferring with that air
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words Kristjan.
Steve, here we have said something on this topic Properties of a good wood gasifier - #390 by Tone.
Otherwise, I think it is best to preheat the air with hot gas and radiation from the reduction zone, because this way we preheat the fresh air, do not cool the hot cone, keep the grille at a not too high temperature, which acts as a heat exchanger. If you think of a gas burner with which you heat the sheet metal, if you move it a little further away, the sheet metal will never glow.

4 Likes

Simple? Wonder what it looks like when you do something difficult, think it looks quite difficult.
What do you think about these dimensions for a 2.2 liter tractor engine? I call this quite simple, but it was difficult to bend a 3mm sheet round, without tools other than a tension band.

6 Likes

Why make a cone shape, make a barrel shape with a flat top raised restriction opening with ash protecting the top. Then you will have more charcoal reserve below your restriction zone. The ash will still protect the sides.
Bob

3 Likes

There are plans on the interwebs for a roller, but the best way I have seen to get it circular without the tools is to bend it against a pipe (or something round) first a little bit at a time, going over it a couple of times, but he was using lighter gauge material. Then you could use the bands to get the last bit of round and into the right position.

I wonder if you could get away with like a pseudo roller, like a pipe with wood (abs plastic might work better, you can remelt it then shape it) disks every like 6-12". screw the metal to the disks at least on each end and turn it about 1/2" at a time and beat on it with a hammer. Or the same concept, but use a square pipe to hold the disks in place, then add a lever and a height adjustment, then clamp it to the end of the workbench, or something more or less square, and adjust the height down for multiple turns. You could add a roller instead of the bench edge, etc. But I was just thinking of storage space constraints. Then you would have mostly round that you could finish up with the bands. You might be able to adjustable to do cones as well since you can replace the disks.

I don’t know, might be a dumb idea too.

2 Likes

You dont want to know :grin:

What Bob sayd.

Looks good but whats the nozzle circle radius? Distance from one nozzle to the opposite one

2 Likes

Yes, the biggest difficulty is that it becomes quite wide, and thus very heavy to bend. I’ve gotten to it somewhat, but probably need to work a little more on both inner and outer tubes.

8 Likes

That is why I was thinking you might need a lever of some sort. You are almost making me feel bad, I can’t get thinner material that round. :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought about 200mm in diameter, yes, I’m probably trying to make a plate, instead of the cone, but should I not weld it in the tube?

1 Like

Hmm, 200 might be a bit big. Depends of the size of your wood, ofcorse.

My Mercedes had 2.3l engine and a 180mm nozzle circle, and drove best at 1700 rpm. Thats comparable to your situation. However, for my Mercedes this was cruiseing power, and for you its preety much max power.

But hey, just make the nozzles threaded! You can easyly change them with longer ones.

Welding. Im all for that. I weld EVERYTHING. But after the hearth. You might need to replace some things. If its all welded, its harder. Also, the parts inside go trugh incredible heat stress. Its best if they can move and breath a bit.

7 Likes

If you are good at searching the site I think MattR had some kind of fairly simple tool he made for making curved plates way back on his Thrive on Wood Thread.

5 Likes

Like Kristijan said, what I did for my upcoming gasifier is I cut a hole in my tank hearth for the restriction to rest in.

You could weld in a heavy shelf to the tube and make a restriction plate that will seal with the ash.

Also I feel your pain with rolling sheet. I weighed getting a generator or a heavy duty slip roller with my Tax Return and opted for the Generator.

3 Likes

Hi Jan,
Here is a good method my friend, who is a welder, taught me. If you use an anvil that is only a little smaller than the inside of your pipe you can make it almost perfect.
Rindert

7 Likes

Yes, I was looking for something like that, but where can I find something that is 12 “and 17” round, and hard enough?

3 Likes

@Tone , is your engine a Pre-chamber diesel or directly injected?

3 Likes

Pre-chamber diesel ,…

3 Likes