Tractor with gas?

Two different paths - either slip the char into the dump and save it for other purposes - or what you’re trying to Tone, burn it all. Unfortunately at this stage the char will be heavily contaminated with ash and it might be hard to fulfil the reaction. Your experiment will tell.
Btw, what does the diesel consumption look like after six hours? Still 10%?

7 Likes

JO, thanks for the help with the explanation, otherwise charcoal mixed with ash in the presence of superheated steam is supposed to form a rich gas, maybe even methane, I will definitely keep you informed. I have to admit that I didn’t measure the fuel level right at the beginning, so I don’t know the exact consumption, but without wood gas I would have consumed about 15 liters, I will also report on that.

5 Likes

I have in mind two ways to perform the installation of the bottom nozzle, what do you think would work better. ???,

:thinking:

3 Likes

I vote No 1 for sure. Simplest to do too, just put a metal disc plate on the grate and the cone will build up

5 Likes

I like nr1 too.
As for the nozzle i thought about a spring-loaded valve, a very light spring, opens when vacuum increases, keeping the nozzle shut at idle.
But what you say makes sense, regulation probably not needed.

5 Likes

I have one of those MF35’s with the Standard engine at the shop. I saw it for sale - contacted the owner and said sold - thinking it was one with the 3 cylinder Perkins - which is very similar to the 3 cylinder Fordson Dexta I have and really like for my needs. Then - kept my word and bought it anyway when I found it was a 4 cylinder and a bit rough around the edges. I was hoping to use it to run my buzz rig or even better - sell for a profit. It was winter and covered with snow. I never got it running. It would fire occasionally but not every cylinder in succession. I think it has a bad head gasket in addition to a bad starter. Life and the fire got in the way. It needs a new home.

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing Ron. seemed a shame that it just sits there sinking into the dirt. Then Tone’s work inspired me to at least think about doing more with it.

4 Likes

The lower nozzle is built-in, I added a basket to keep the charcoal near the nozzle. I did a test, the power is more than excellent, if you suspect that the proportion of diesel fuel is high, look at this … the fuel is so muted that the engine stops without wood gas.

16 Likes

It was fun to hear, it seems like you got this just right, very good. :+1: :+1:

7 Likes

Well done, Tone. Hat’s off :tophat::+1:

7 Likes

Thanks, but I’ve already become vain, with my videos :japanese_goblin:

7 Likes

Just another skill set Tone. If you are going to do something may as well do it good. You are getting good.

7 Likes

That’s what’s so refreshing about DOW - you’re allowed to brag a little, with a wink, about gasification ashievments, wood piles and things like that. If not, there would be no pics and videos to watch - boring.

10 Likes

Greetings JO, if it says so in the catechism “for wood gas”, then will this sin be forgiven me? You would be a good pastor who would have nice words of consolation for sinners and female sinners. :grinning:

4 Likes

Haha, I have no doubt.
But I would rather see Mr Wayne as the pastor, preaching the woodgas testament. I’m more of a novice, like Judas :smile:

5 Likes

Tone,
Would you say that you have more power when you are using woodgas than diesel fuel? I have thought this might be possible.
Rindert

3 Likes

Greetings Rindert, this slope, which I drive in the video on wood gas in fifth gear and easily overcomes it, only on diesel fuel also overcomes it, at somewhere the same speed. The power is actually similar, but I have to say that such gas starts to form when the gasifier heats up and inside some more wood over the burning charcoal, when I tried only charcoal, the power is significantly less. The results are interesting, almost unbelievable, I can’t explain them, obviously caused by high compression and intense ignition with diesel fuel combustion into detonation, where all combustible substances burn at high temperature. A compression ratio of 1:16 is obviously already the upper limit for wood gas operation.

10 Likes

Just one more piece of information, I took measurements on my diesel generator on wood gas and I can say that the diesel engine at 2500 rpm develops somewhere 1 kW of power per 100 cc of working volume. The IMT 533 has a 2300 cc engine, which would mean 23 kW of power, or 31 hp, and diesel fuel is expected to produce 26 kW or 35 hp at 2000 rpm (factory data).

8 Likes

It does seem odd that there is a loss of power on charcoal but you are not adding water and your raw wood does. Also I think that a diesel would be much more forgiving of a little tar than a sparked engine would. Now you need to put heads together with Bruce and start producing your own supplemental diesel. The final piece to the self sufficient tractor puzzle.

10 Likes

I don’t like that comment Tom. I LOVE that comment! One day i will get back into bio diesel and black diesel. Need to find the appropriate truck first and that will come long after the v10 build. But seeing a diesel on wood is very inspiring!

11 Likes