Tractor with gas?

Okay Tone, drawing revised.

I think the gases and charcoal will now flow by the the lower nozzle air, but I am hoping that the air does not burn up the gases that have been already made this is why I made a path for gases higher up into the burn restriction bottom to flow by. But my lower nozzle will have a valve to control the air supply to the nozzle. More to think on in my brain on what is happening here.
Bob

7 Likes

Bob, this sketch is probably close to the optimal fuel pipe, but I would remove the upper restriction opening (7.5"), so that the fuel fills the lower pipe unhindered, and lower the lower nozzle a bit, so that the air intake holes are about 1"-2 "higher than the lower edge of the restriction pipe (the nozzle, which is short, is less exposed to thermal shock, the lower ring contains ash for insulation and the upper one as well (Rindert), so only a small part is exposed to high temperature). Good gases that descend filled with fine coal through the restrictor pipe and reach the area where fresh air is supplied, they would of course catch fire if there were no fine coal in this part, and in this way the coal consumes all the oxygen (as is known, hot coal is very aggressive for oxygen, because it even takes it from water vapor.

8 Likes

Sunday drive to my wife’s forest, there are quite a few trees on the ground that I have to take home, Fergie has a lot of work to do.

15 Likes

Bob, that’s kind of my idea

9 Likes

here are some pictures of my down draw gasifier

14 Likes

Okay now I see what you are doing the resticion tube is stright open at the top. And down at the lower nozzle now becomes the restricion point where the gases speed up and changes the pressure of the vaccum with the charcoal bed. The charcoal is free flowing straight down to the point where the lower nozzle adds more air for to the charcoal to make more CO. I would think adding moisture here at this point could be a way of making even more hydrogen gases with the CO already being made.
Being able to regulate the air going through this lower nozzle with a valve could be very benificial with different operation loads of the engine. This gasifier unit in the drawing will be operating a larger horse power engine 2.5 L and larger V-8 's.
Thank you Tone for this new innovative idea of this new fixed vertical grate tubing to preheat the incoming air and cool the exit gases going out of the reactor firetube zone. Also with this lower charcoal nozzle to help clear the ashes as it makes more gases.
Bob

4 Likes

this gasifier gradually clogs and i would like to try a small nozzle at the bottom of the firebox like Tone builds in his gasifiers
What do you think about this

I thought I would test this 6-hole nozzle at 45 degrees

5 Likes

depending on your construction, I would try my luck like this and fill the gasifier with moist charcoal or add wood

8 Likes

Be sure to cap the end like Tone does, with a bit of a brim to the hat.

6 Likes

Bob, I’m glad you understand the point of this design, well, we have to realize that when gasifying wood, there is an abundance of water vapor, even though it is removed somewhat in the condensing zone, some still makes its way through the heating pipe, even through the hot area of ​​operation. lower nozzles, I personally think that it is better if the gas remains somewhat moist than if there is not enough water vapor.

6 Likes

“I personally think that it is better if the gas remains somewhat moist than if there is not enough water vapor.”

Like with many things related to wood gas, it depends. Usualy, and with relative constant gas demand motors that is true. But in most high turndown ratio aplications, aka most transport vehicles, specialy smaller enhine ones, you realy want to sacrifice some power/performence over smooth operation in the lower part of gas demand. This is easyer achived if the gasifier runs “dryer”, either by condensing out warer or mixing in charcoal

10 Likes

Lately I’ve been writing and philosophizing too much, well, and this thought or experience… much more liquid accumulates in the condensation zone than in the front of the refrigerator, the ratio is more than 1:5, if the tractor is running on the spot, between and driving is probably 1:10. I also notice that this is not significantly affected by engine load or gas flow, so that good gas is produced even at low load. I interpret this as the conversion of steam into hydrogen is still taking place below, while the temperature drops above, and with it the expansion of water vapor, and thus the balance is maintained, but when the consumption increases again, the hot zone expands upwards, the heat begins to radiate in a wide area area, which results in a large expansion of steam and gases in this part

6 Likes

here is the kind of cinder that accumulates on the bottom plate of the gasifier.

I hope that the small nozzle at the bottom will blow the ashes before they melt and agglomerate

7 Likes

I found this thing at the srap (probably an abandoned project)

I was thinking of making it a heat exchanger to gasify it. it would take the place of the cyclone to cool the gas and preheat the primary air

9 Likes

Great find! I was thinking about doing something similar for my heat exchanger instead of welding in all those metal pieces.

Garry C

5 Likes

tone , you dont write to much…your conclusions are coming from practice and observations…you are a deep thinker in all what you do…sharing this with us is a benefit for all forum members and outside readers and is worth gold!
your tractor works really “super”, and this is the best prove…
thanks for sharing
ciao giorgio
p.s. probably this week is my tractor transport…i found another more close nearby…

14 Likes

What Giorgio said times ten.

I would think that running gas through those small tubes would plug them with even a small amount of soot. I think I’d enclose them in a cylinder, like you would use for a cyclone and run cooling water though them to cool the gas as it passed through the cylinder.

7 Likes

I agree with you on that Tom, but I was thinking of having the incoming clean air go through the tubes.

Garry C

6 Likes

hi tom
my intention is to circulate the primary air in the small pipes and the hot gas in a large pipe wrapping the small pipes

8 Likes

hello thierry, what is happened with your nice stainless steel gasifier on the oliver tractor?
was this a design with bottom nozzle and up-draft?
i have found the same beer-barrels in stainless for the next gasifier…
ciao giorgio

4 Likes