Tractor with gas?

Tone, is it the same engine on your Ferguson as mine, do they look the same?

10 Likes

Jan, my Fergie has a very similar engine, it is not an original Perkins like yours, but a licensed product made by the Serbian company Rakovica. (some fans of IMT tractors claim that the Rakovica engines are better than the original Perkins engines.

6 Likes

Do you know if there are swirl chambers on these engines?

3 Likes

Yes, this engine has swirl chambers, in the picture I marked the covers that form half of the swirl chamber

7 Likes

Do you have it on your engine too?

2 Likes

That’s right Jan, scroll through my posts above that have pictures and a description of installing glow plugs

4 Likes

Installation of spark plugs, … I found an old ignition coil at home, it gives a bad spark, but it worked. Next week I will get a new ignition coil and finish the rebuild.

20 Likes

That is very nice construction Tone :+1:
How did you build the 90° gear?

12 Likes

At home I found ignition coils from a older Fiat engine and tried to connect, well, the spark is strong

17 Likes

Goran, I made the angular transmission at home, I bought a raw gear pair, adapted it to the axles and hardened it, quite precise work, I hope it will work,…, :woozy_face::grin:

14 Likes

Who could do that? Not many. :star_struck: :star_struck: Certainly not me.

14 Likes

Hey Tom .
Count me out also :unamused: :confused:

13 Likes

Impressive! :open_mouth: very, very impressive!

11 Likes

I don’t know what to say. I can only agree with the above statements. You’re the man, Tone!

12 Likes

fantastic, tone, now without diesel fuel!!!
only the oil sheiks are not happy about…

9 Likes

And now you can running adjust your ignition point for RPM, loads and system temperature.
Hot spot will always be limiting.
Learn to love your spark plugs. Have spares.
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Congratulations for this invention probably unique in the world!

Nice realization leaving the diesel injection pump in place and usable according to the demand between 0 and 100%. Great, Tone thought of it and tested it.

I would like to know what is the efficiency in using 100% wood gas compared with the diesel pilot injection used before.

9 Likes

Hi EdyH.
Which efficiency do you want him to answer?

Engineering mathematical thermal conversion?
The least thermal units of fuels used?
The most tractor working achieve with each fuel type, or fuels blends? Only actual working done imho is what should be the measure.

Or the most able to use his own on-site grown fuels versus BigSytems bought out fuel?
Ha! Then his own 100% woods and woods charcoals now on spark ignition will Win!
100% fuel replacement efficiency.
Tone himself and now KristijanL. have both discovered with diesel pilot ignition . . . out of diesel fuel . . . it stops being able to make work.
Regards
Steve unruh

6 Likes

Hello Edy, thank you for the kind words. I only made a few short runs on 100% wood gas, so I can’t give an “official” report yet. I can say the following that it works very smoothly, the power is a little worse than with hybrid operation with diesel fuel, I also have to play around with the settings of the working revolutions and the power regulation, this works perfectly for me when starting with diesel fuel. I also intend to make an automatic gas mixer that will maintain the mixing ratio, since in hybrid operation this changes according to the required power.

14 Likes

Tone, excelent! Hope to see the official report soon!

Steve, for about a year now l burn old fryer oil in the tractor. Its free and probably a form of pil will probably always be available.

I will wait for Tones official report but this tractor gives us a wery unique oppertunity to compare all the sistems on one engine.

My findings so far are that 100% woodgas works well in engines that are oversized for the vehicle. Those monster engine V10s and V8s for example. Or my BCS mower wich has a way oversized engine for what it needs. Now, with all the vehicles l woodgased so far, that was not the case and realisticly l always ended up burning about 20% petrol. And still got noticable less performance thain on petrol.

Such is the case with my tractor. It barely has enaugh power on diesel (18hp) and converting it on spark and woodgas wuld make it preety much useless… not to mention all the fuss with governors etc. So far Tones unofficial report confirms my predictions exactly, but lets see what happens after some more tests…

Why do l write this? Because in hybrid, diesel mode, the tractor works perfectly! It literaly does give me best of both worlds.

• saves 90% fuel
  • doesent give a shit about air fuel ratio. Lean, rich, it all seems to run the same.
  • governor still limits the rpm
  • unlike a spark plug, wich ignites the mixture localy, a spray of diesel will ignite the fuel at more thain one flame front. Great for the slow burning woodgas!
  • the heat from woodgas burning makes the diesel burn cleaner. No black smoke.

Both fuels together literaly work better thain each on its own. I am hasitant to fully engage the woodgas (my filter is purpously restrictive because l fear knocks - 1/17 cr) but l think it is entirely possible to achive the same power on hybrid thain with pure diesel. Converting the same engine on spark l wuld realisticly expect 50%.

15 Likes