Tractor with gas?

Exactly Bob, l dont mind having big peaces in at all, as long as the voyds are filled with small stuff

11 Likes

kristijan, don´t you use actually more your single nozzle from upside on the tomo tractor?
how are the experiences?

and a question to tone:
i have looked your older posts from your charcoal era…
you have used a center nozzle downwards…protected by a kind of “bell” in way the really hot glow not touches the nozzle…have this worked, or melted the bell instead of the nozzle?..
the idea or sugestion comes from max gasman…

12 Likes

Giorgio, I soon removed the bell, the gasifier only worked with a single nozzle made of high carbon steel. This was the first experimental gasifier to find out how to go about the construction, but it taught me a lot, now I would approach the construction much differently, ideally, the coal gasifier should produce cold gas, the highest temperature of the energy released during oxidation, would split the water vapor, then preheat the fresh air and gasify the liquid water, so the resulting gases and the housing would be “cold”.

10 Likes

When fire is put to a gasifier and run and then after the charcoal is out and cold. Check the charcoal bed the next day. It will not be full of moisture but will feel dry. As it cooled off the hot charcoal bed out dry not wet. It will have moisture up in the lid of the hopper area. This is true in charcoal or wood gasifiers. Venting the hopper will help remove the moisture and dry the upper part.
When starting the gasifier back up, you are lighting dry charcoal and brands. Not wet charcoal. It is very difficult to get the firetube going in this wet condition. So like to start with dry charcoal to get things heated up then put the 20% to 30% charcoal on top after start up. It saves a lot of time on starting the charcoal gasifier and getting it up to produce good quality gases.

11 Likes

thanks Bob for the information. It’s very valuable for my thinking.

8 Likes

Giorgio, Tone made a test gasifier so l put mine down and put his on. It still gets air primarly from outer nozzles. Its a similar design to his on his tractor. It worked well but then almost all welds cracked, seems the stainless material and the welding wire were not compatible. So currently l dont have anything on

6 Likes

i remember you have used first torrified woodchips on tones gasifier…
have you than tried only with charcoal?
or the welds have cracked before?
would be interesting if there is a power difference in practice…

4 Likes

I have used wet charcoal yes. Dry charcoal wuld melt it for sure and also for sure give weaker gas. I saw no difference between wood and charcoal but its hard to precisely evaluate power on a machine like this.

8 Likes

These days I have been working a bit with speed regulation, first I made a transmission from the centrifugal regulator handle to the throttle with a steel cable, but it did not work well, there was too much friction in the jacket of the steel cable, then I did a simple transmission with a wire, and this works well.

18 Likes

Tone, I see the lid on your hopper up and smoke coming out in the last picture. While you are shoveling all the wood saw dust in to your trailer, are you putting some of the wood saw dust in the hopper to see what will happen?
Nice work and simple on the regulating rod and cable to the carburetor.

7 Likes

Thank you Mr. Bob, the sawdust is very wet, which would adversely affect the operation if I put it in the gasifier, but otherwise I am not afraid that it would not work, because even the wood chips from the branches contain a lot of dust and small pieces.

9 Likes

Lately I have become more and more superficial, I forget important things, yesterday I forgot to fasten the joints on the pipes from the gasifier to the refrigerator, today I forgot to close the lid on the “chimney”, well, nothing critical happened, just some dissatisfaction because the tractor did not work on “factory” settings, here is the picture of the evening startup.

13 Likes

That is a very nice flare :grinning:

7 Likes

Joep, this is a clean, bright flame, which is hardly visible during the day, but it has a rather low energy value, it is barely enough to start the engine and operate at idle, the tractor needs some time after starting to reach good operating conditions. :grinning:

9 Likes

Really impressed Tone and really my plan to build a gasifier similar to yours, some day. My Lister would be a real great candidate. Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

Just the proof that the saying is correct. Whenever things dont work good in a gasifier, its always one of three things. Leaks, leaks or leaks.

14 Likes

I used some wood to pull these mature birch trees out of the forest

18 Likes

The weather is almost spring here, my wife and I are slowly stacking sawn wood, but Fergie is drying fuel for short trips.

18 Likes

Beautiful Tone! You are not afraid to get stuck with the forklift? I dont dare to drive on dirt, only concrete

9 Likes

Thanks Joep! I remove the counterweight on the forklift, so it can overcome climbs and uneven terrain quite well, but it can only carry approx. 1000 kg.

9 Likes