Traveling with woodgas

I am new and will build a system for my truck . my question is this has anyone ever had any hassels from the law when traveling or parked say at a walmart ? I want to do some traveling because this opens a way to do so cheaply .

The short answer is a well tuned system will not smoke or belch enough to attract attention. That’s the key. Other comments are sure to follow. We joke about putting signs on our trucks that say: “Carl’s BBQ” or “Carl’s Asphalt Repair” as a distraction. :slight_smile:

A local merchant asked me today, pointing to my truck, " What kind of business are you in?" I told him I was mostly into monkey business and that that stuff on the truck was making wood into fuel for my pickup. Then he replied with a big smile, “Oh, now I understand!” Of course he did not understand anything except that I was harmless, that my truck was O.K. It’s the same at Walmart and everywhere else. Nobody really sees a thing.
Two weeks ago I was welding on the sidewald outside my shop in town. I heard two men aproaching, so I tilted up my helmut and here comes two cops on a Saturday morning strole. We chatted a while and they walked on. My truck was right there at the curb and I was welding up yet another twist or turn in the pipe coming out of the heat exchanger. They looked at and never saw a thing.
Sometimes a big red pickup will get impatient if he’s behind me pulling away from a stop sign, but he just thinks ill of me, not the truck…I think.
Traveling down the highway is a total blast!!!
John

"I am new and will build a system for my truck . my question is this has anyone ever had any hassels from the law when traveling " Yes !! But keep in mind I was travailing 20 mph over the speed limit when he hit me with the radar.

Often when I take people for a ride I go through our local Walmart to show we are not noticed .

I have given people a lift in the truck and they never realized we were driving on wood.

I have been through your area ( SE MO ) several times and no one paid any attention.

Thanks Guys . This is good news . less problems the better .