Trip to The Go Green event Thayer Mo

The wife and I had a good trip to the GO GREEN festival in Thayer Mo.

We hit the road mid morning Thursday ,drove through Birmingham and on just over the Mississippi line to Fulton and offloaded 9-10 sacks of wood at a McDonalds out building as I do often traveling long distances knowing on my return trip I will be coming back by and get the wood. We then turned north traveling along the Alabama and Mississippi line on county and state roads.

We went near Mississippi highest point (806 feet) and crossed the Natchez Trace and then drove west to Corinth Ms., north to Jackson Tn., Dyersburg and crossed the Mississippi River just south of Caruthersville Mo. And on to Kennett Mo. for the night.

The next morning we drove southwest and crossed into Arkansas near Cardwell Mo., drove west from here to Walnut Ridge AK and then North West to Mammoth spring AR where we had motel reservation.
We spent a couple hours there and drove a short distance to our host Jim and Kim Hart in Thayer MO. We spent a nice evening with Jim and Kim and drove back to Mammoth spring AR. The next morning we drove back to Thayer Mo. to the Go Green event and had a great day. We spoke to several hundred people; I put the truck on display at 8:30 and talked most of the day. I remember the fist time I set down was about 3:00 in the afternoon. I even talked and demoed while I ate dinner. (Not to be confused with supper)

As we were closing shop I had the opportunity to take a radio personality for a 15-20 mile ride (He was impressed and will be doing an interview for a radio show. ) Afterwards Jim and I drove about 20 miles to Grand Gulf State park and on to his house where he fed us again. Back to Mammoth Spring for the night.

Sunday Morning drove back to the Thayer Mo. to the Harts for coffee, retrieved the trailer and wood that I had left there and back to the event and displayed the truck for a couple hours.
We left the event about noon crossing into AR drove southeast crossing the Mississippi near Memphis. On through Tennessee into Mississippi stopping in Fulton at McDonalds to retrieve the wood we had ground squirreled, on into Alabama and home.

I had planed on Mrs. Keith taking pictures of the welcome sign each time we went into a new state. It work well for a while but waking her up to take a picture of a sign come past her at 60-70 mph proved not to be such a bright idea.

I don’t want to sound like I am bragging on the little truck but it ran flawless. No where on the trip did I have to add any gasoline but I did once just to demonstrate to the rider the extra power if I ever needed it. (Mike Evans the radio personality). I never needed to shake the grate and the vacuum ratio between the top and the bottom of the gasifier stayed right where it should be. When driving on the pine I was using, most of it being plucky, I could expect to get about 60 miles per hopper fill. Once I filled the hopper with good oak and got 97 miles. I have no drought if not pulling the trailer and driving a little slower I could get a hundred plus miles on the hopper full.

I thought of all the vehicles we saw lined up at gasoline stations on this thousand mile trip. The only choices they have are to pay what the oil company demands or walk. When I pull up to my wood pile the choices I have are pine, oak, poplar, willow, hickory and how much to load.

Spent the night in Kennett MO.

Wild life in Tenn.

Cotton in Missouri.

Rice in Arkansas

Last fill up before the McDonalds wood pile

Wayne, I like that last picture where Lisa is reloading the trailer … Stay well, Oh, happy birthday this weekend … Mike

Well done Wayne, glad you had a safe happy trip. Hoping I can do some of that someday. Tell us more about stashing wood at McD’s?? Also, do you worry about your wood getting rained on as you travel (or stash it)?

Hello Carl,

I use plastic bags and usually fill them about ¾ and never had any problem getting wet.

When I explain to the McD’s manager what I am doing and that the McD’s chains have always let me offload a few bags of wood behind their building to be retrieved on the return trip they always oblige. Sometime I think they are thinking they will get in trouble with the upper management if they refuse.

On state and county roads I may put some off at mile post so I can find it easy on the way back.

One problem when I am out SWEM I don’t like to come back the same way I went.

Glad to hear things went well for you & the Mrs. Realy liked the last paragraph. I guess the hickory & oak are premium & the rest are …well… not quite as premium cause it all beets gasoline.

Hello Wayne,

After reading your itinerary, I figure we probably passed each other somewhere near Corinth, MS on Thursday, as I was on my way to Huntland, Tenn. Glad to hear your journey went well. The Wood Hawg is down for a while for an engine upgrade. I like the idea of rat holeing wood on the trail. I have a lot to learn about long distance travel on wood.

Richard

Hello Richard,

Sure wish we could have met up as we crossed paths. We were in no hurry Thursday and Friday we were just SWEM.

Looks like you spent the weekend in my back yard and I in yours.

Good deal you putting up this trip info Mr Wayne.
Shows today practical useage of woodgas power.
Ain’t No Free Lunches in life.
Since a fellows gonna have to pay one way or the other best to be the one in control of the exchange.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hi Mr Wayne,
It sounds like there was a lot of interest at the festival, and you and Lisa had a restful trip :).
Thanks for posting the pictures. Ron L.

Good Morning Mr. Steve,

Thanks for the note.
The only way I can think of to make the trip more enjoyable would be to have a good wood supply about every 400-500 miles. Maybe one of these days we can have a network of wood station across the US and Canada.

Hello Mr. Ron,
We really enjoyed the trip and saw country we haven’t seen.

If you get out riding make sure you come south. I owe you a lot of wood.

BBB