Tyler's 2000 Ford F-250

Haven’t been posting at all in quite a while, since I last posted I got a truck, it is a 2000 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, not a gasser so this is not the one to convert to WoodGas, but diesel is expensive, I was considering getting a Dakota or ranger to convert to WoodGas next summer as my daily so a good amount of my miles are on wood. I’ve been working on the truck to make it look a lot better than It previously did, I’ll post a pic of right when I got it and a pic of now with both 33s with black stock rims and 35s with the aluminum finish, and clear coat peeling.

3 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Very nice looking ride you have there Tyler !!

3 Likes

If you have access to vegetable oil you can mix 20% turpentine or gasoline with 80% veg oil you get a very close viscosity to road diesel. It’s only slightly thicker.

2 Likes

I was definitely considering veg oil, I have to find a good source of used oil, I work at a restaurant but I am not staying there much longer, once I’m 16 I’ll be working somewhere else if not before then, otherwise I’d just get free oil from there.

4 Likes

The other benefit of this oil mix is you can still use it with regular diesel. In the colder months I would still use more diesel than the veg oil to keep from gelling.

1 Like

Yeah, they make kits for straight veg oil conversion with a separate tank and the use of coolant from the engine heating up the veg oil to make it less thick, I don’t want to go that far on this truck, I’d rather run something straight in the tank and save my money.

1 Like

TylerG, reconsider a separated tank for any mixed alternative blend.
The ability to start and warm up on straight pump-spec diesel. Then run-out flush to straight pump-spec before nightly shutting down will save your ass.
Your fuel injection system.
Your repair wallet.
Isn’t that monster already dual tanked?
S.U.

9 Likes

Unfortunately I only have the single tank, but I could make one myself, I just don’t want to spend 2k on a conversion kit if I can do it myself for much cheaper. These are all future plans, it’s a month till I get my license still and I am doing a little lift, exhaust, and a few more small things hopefully before snow comes. So far I replaced the rear bumper, did headlights and taillights, took the front bumper trim off so it is all chrome now, towing mirrors with turn signals and running lights and heated mirrors, rear leds in the bumper, and a couple more little things.

2 Likes

No…
I realized I didn’t finish my expose on making fuel yet. I’ve been in the hospital and unable to think about it. Cody when I read your comments I had to interject.
Folks let’s remember that oil based paint is made with linseed oil, and that is a type of vegetable oil. I am not exactly sure how linseed oil polymerizes into paint but I think it has something to do with oxidation. So if you put vegetable oil in your gas tank and it polymerizes, like paint, it will coat the pickup screen for your fuel pump. So when the weather gets cold no fuel gets picked up because the screen openings have been shrunk down literally by being painted.
If you can fill your fuel tank with gasoline vapors and keep it that way with a bubbler tank, then you can prevent polymerization.

Frankly, these days I would think it easier to buy a Dakota, and build a Wayne Keith gas producer, and run the vehicle on wood, then fool with home made diesel blends. There is more support for all the quirks of the build and operation. Where as the biodiesel forums are all gone, and the chemistry is way beyond most people’s interest.

Also, diesel parts are not cheap. I have been looking for a Roosa DB2 injector pump for a Detroit Diesel 6.2l engine for years. All I can find are rebuilt pumps for $400…no NOS. I cannot imagine it is hard to find Dakota parts.

6 Likes

Is it possible to inject say woodgas or chargas with the diesel? I thought we were calling it hypermiling before but I honestly wasn’t that interested when it was being talked about. :stuck_out_tongue: