U. S. A. Cross Country trip

Hey Jakob, if it is not too far from your idea of a route through Chicago and Wisconsin, i live near Milwaukee in menomonee falls WI. As far as fueling, I don’t have a chunker or anything, but I might be able to use some of my aunt’s stored wood, and I could possibly get some free pallet wood and use a table saw or miter saw if my dad has one or the other to chunk wood. Tyler

3 Likes

Between Tyler and I we could probably have 1000 pounds of wood waiting for ya In the Milwaukee area👍

5 Likes

I am only like an hour and a half north from Corvallis, but if it is any help I could make wood chunks for the cause. What kind of endurance do you figure you will have with the pickup maxed out with wood?

4 Likes

The pallet wood is most common in two types of wood, a southern yellow pine and oak, I figure I should try to find more oak because it is a hardwood. What mileage difference do you suppose it would make?

3 Likes

This is Billy

I was wondering which part of WI you were in. Thanks to all of you. 1000 lbs in WI would easily get us to Ron’s in Indiana. Actually, it could get us to Wayne’s in Alabama, or home. Might be closer that way, but wouldn’t get to see Ron and family. When you lay it all out and start counting miles, you soon start looking for ways to shorten the trip where you can. I think the current proposed route is around 10,000 miles. That’s a lot of miles. So we will see what works out.

Carl, that sounds pretty good. I am not sure of range at this point. Jakob hauled quite a bit of wood to Argos, and a whole lot more coming back. i think he had maybe 35 or more bags plus a whole crate of Ron’s wood on. Likely we will have another vehicle along as well. i don’t plan to send my 16 year old to go out across country without a support crew. So I imagine the other vehicle would be able to carry some of the weight if we had to, at least for the big long stretches between stops. Depending on the need, I think he could haul enough to travel 800 or more miles. Argos was 1540 there and back, and he had no trouble carrying enough to get there. There are the Rocky mountains to consider, but still,… So I think we have almost figured out a route that would get us between chunkers, at least if we do the Canada route and we can cross the border with wood… There is a dead spot so far between Kansas or Nebraska and Oregon. Still need to fill a gap there.

2 Likes

There’s Gary in Coffeeville KS and also Tom Wobig in Nebraska.

3 Likes

I have property in Brandon, MB, right on the Trans Canada (hwy #1) I can stock with hardwood in any quantity needed. It would be good if another refueling stop, say Calgary or nearby could be arranged…

5 Likes

When I was selling Mesquite chunks for BBQ and Smoking, I was not allowed to ship it to Canada. It is against Canadian law to bring firewood from the USA into Canada for personal use without an appropriate permit. It is against US law to bring any untreated firewood for personal use (including both hardwood and softwood/conifer) from Canada into the USA.

5 Likes

Hi Tyler on the trip to and from Argos I got about 2/3 the mileage on pine that I did on oak. 40 miles per hopper (Pine), 60 miles per hopper (oak).

4 Likes

@JocundJake When were you planning to take this trip? Just wondering how far off the idea is to chunk some wood for you when you take this trip. Do you think Milwaukee is too far off from your idea of a route?

1 Like

We were thinking of next spring or early summer.
imageimage

4 Likes

I would be honored to have a visit from you on this trip. Just beware, once you’re here, you may not want to leave. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ok, that sounds good, I have some time to arrange what I am doing for the amount of wood I can collect from free stuff. I can rummage in the free section of craigslist, and there are always free pallet wood stacks just waiting to be picked up.

3 Likes

Once you leave my place you will have to use up the wood before entering into Canada and the same from Canada back into the USA. Unless they have loosened up on border restrictions. Better check to see if you can haul wood across borders.
Bob

5 Likes

I am 25 miles South of Seattle, have got lots of dry chunked wood and could provide an aerial tour of Seattle, weather permitting.

It is 140 miles to Bob Mackeys place in Wenatchee over some dramatic mountain passes.

3 Likes

That sounds great. :grinning::grinning: Hopefully we can make it there.

4 Likes

Yes, cross border logistics. I do agree about the no transportation of wood across the border, me being a certified arborist. Not that it matters practically, the genie is out of the bottle. We have hell unleashed here, the emerald ash borer is widespread in Manitoba now, just beginning to destroy. We will lose every ash in the province, billions of critical trees. My parent’s farm was a climax elm forest. Up until about 1992. Now elm is gone. Last summer I observed oak wilt starting in Winnipeg and the interlake. All because corporations wanted to save a buck and ship on wood pallets. (Dutch elm beetles came to New York prior to 1900). There are other Asian bark beetles around in western north America that will kill various hardwoods, some as close as Regina, Saskatchewan. Our forests are not able to cope with this kind of damage.

Back to wood logistics, it seems you need to develop a supply train across the 2 countries along the intended route. And plan on driving on dino trans border. With enough preparation there should be a supply chain.

This kinda reminds me of the first electric vehicle excursions. Or for that matter, when Benz sent his wife on the first cross country tour, seeking.out stores of benzin, (gasoline), then sold as a dry cleaning fluid for furs in shops… :thinking:

8 Likes

I am pretty sure you will also need a passport to cross the border as well now. I think the days of using a driver’s license ended about a decade ago.
We have pretty strict rules in NH about transporting wood even within the state because of emerald ash borers. But I have never actually seen them enforced.

6 Likes

USA / Canada border crossing… You will need a regular passport, or a North American passport, whatever they call it. The NA passport is cheaper. I was always going to get one, because I miss going to The Great White North for vacations or just a day trip. I haven’t been there in 20 years. The prospect of crossing the border these days with an active gasification system scares the heck out of me. I remember praying fervently to get all my stuff and a U-Haul trailer back across the border at Port Huron / Sarnia because I had taken the "shortcut’ from up-state New York through the Niagara Falls area while moving back home in 1982. The trailer in front of me got a full strip search. I got through with a wave. Prayer changes things!! It was always more difficult to get back in the USA, then into Canada as a USA citizen. I can’t imagine the process now. You could maybe get out, but not back in. Everything said about not transporting wood is true. Don’t plan on it. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yeah, What we need is someone to meet us at the borders with enough wood to get to the next stop. Or to find a local shop or pile of pallets to process just over the border. It should be possible. We’ll see. For now, we are focused on my having surgery tomorrow and then recovery.

4 Likes