U. S. A. Cross Country trip

I have been getting trailer loads of wood scraps from a cabinet shop some of it is firewood length some up to 4 ft long but about half of it is already cut to the right size for the trucks. I probably have two tons of chunks bagged and ready to go. I figured I will need about 8 tons to do the tests and the trip. Every thing in that cage looked great. Will probably just have to bag the wood out of that cage It should work great.

2 Likes

Wheew!!! Will you be pulling a fifth wheel?

No I am even going to try to not pull a trailer at all. the 8 tons will include the amount of wood I would like to test the truck with. I will also need wood to drive back and forth to school every day.

4 Likes

I have been slowly moving your chunks out into my greenhouse. At first I threw them all in a giant bin but the pieces in the center were not getting very much airflow. I spread them out on the floor of my shop, which helped, but then they were very much underfoot… Here is the new setup:

I grabbed about a dozen pieces to test the moisture, and they are now down to an average of about 32%. I am confident that they are on track to air dry by March.

Here is the drying rig I built:

It did drive out some moisture, but not very evenly. Some pieces dropped 20%, others hardly any, despite rotating the drum every now and then. A few pieces got charred, but nothing caught on fire at least. Seems like if you were really desperate you could dry wood this way, but it would be an uphill battle.

7 Likes

That looks and sounds great It also looks like a lot of work went into that I feel very honored. The same goes to all the other guys cutting wood for me I am very honored that y’all would spent your time to help me thanks a lot.

11 Likes

Jacob

Will this work about 10percent moisture . Racing fuel. Can make bigger chunks but worry about bridging lmk. Shatters easily

5 Likes

Looks good
How much are you going to have.
How many pounds.

2 Likes

The pieces weigh 8-10 lbs each I have around 100 of them

3 Likes

Well the Idea is take a shorter trip from here to Jacksonville Florida to get the Atlantic side then from there to port St Joe Florida to get the gulf of mexico part. We were going to do that starting tomorrow but I came down with the flu yesterday so we put it off for a couple weeks. :sneezing_face::sneezing_face:
Then the plan for out west and Canada Just got all changed around again. I figured out yesterday that I will have almost the entire month of may off so I think I plan to take the trip out west then instead of at the end of march because then i can slow down and enjoy it more because I will have another week and a half and I wont have to drive 18 hours a day. I think the basic route will be the same. Probably go from here to Salina Kansas I have family there with wood. From Salina to Louisville co to Rindert Wessling’s then from there to Dr Larry’s In Corvallis Oregon. I plan to go on out to the coast with Larry. From there to Oregon city to get the wood from Carl. Then head from Oregon city to Seattle WA then on up to the Canadian border. for the way back I plan to hit East Wenachee then to Louisville Co then to Nebraska to Tom Wobig’s then head home. That was the plan before the time of the trip changed I don’t think they will change much. Does anyone I my list have something going on in May that I need to figure around ? If it does not work for me to come by let me know.

3 Likes

I’m kind of glad to hear you say that Jacob. :smile: I used to go for broke all the time too. All it got me was broke. :crazy_face:

And May is no problem for me.
Rindert

3 Likes

So, when does that put you in Minnesota?

4 Likes

I can understand the no Canada leg, but that’s too bad. Bur oak would have your unit producing to the max…

5 Likes

May is fine with me, and will give the wood a little longer to shed some pounds. We have been having nice sunny weather here, and the vent on my greenhouse is opening, so its at least 80 degrees in there. 18hrs of driving per day doesnt really sound like much fun, so I am glad you will have more time to take it easy.

7 Likes

I have at least a ton of dry chunked wood but bring your own bags.

Have a spare bedrooom with queen sized bed or will gladly pay for a motel about 5 miles away.

Airplane ride for 1 or 2 if smaller.

I will also fill your gas tank to help getting over the mountains.

You will be amazed at how undeveloped the USA is when in the West half.

Sent from my iPad

11 Likes

Hi Michael, do you own or rent the aircraft?

1 Like

plans have morphed again, so we’re looking at going a different route to head back east. I’ll let Jakob tell you about it.

2 Likes

I want to know if you’re still stopping in Minnesota?

1 Like

Sorry to be so long getting you a direct answer. Lord willing we will be stopping there.

4 Likes

Jakob, if you are not on the road yet I would seriously reconsider the timing of your trip.

10 Likes

Hi Tom. Nice looking fuel!!!