Using an S10 pickup

I have a 1995 S10 laying around with a 2.2l 4 banger, 5 speed manual, single cab, 2wd. Wondering if this would be a good candidate? Thanks

1 Like

@don_mannes I believe you have some good input here? Didnt Mr larosa also do a S10?

2 Likes

That is what I have also. Mine is a 1996 year with the obdII computer. It runs good on wood gas even though it is under powered but gets me from point A to B. 1996 model year has the metal intake manifold and automatic spark advance with no distributor.

5 Likes

What size did you run for your fire tube? And what did you have to do with the ecm and ignition system?

Hi Dustin.
My firetube started life as a 1/8" thick air compressor tank 14 inches in diameter and then I lined the inside with 2 inches of ceramic wool so it ended up between 10 and eleven inches.
The 1996 year is obd 2 computer system and has a knock sensor that I was told advances the timing until it senses a knock and then backs it off a little. I have the “Torque” app in my phone that shows engine diagnostics and it shows spark advancement up to 45 degrees automatically so I did not have to change anything.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info, just trying to figure out how to build my first wood truck.

1 Like

45° advanced , Thanks Don I hope my 1996 Subaru Outback with the OBD 2 that can do that also.
Bob

2 Likes