VG4D Flat Head Generator

The Farmall F-30 is pretty close. Look at about 2.03 in this video and they have a good shot of the rear and you see shoulders on the rear axle. Farmall also shipped with steel wheels similar to those which I think are actually duals.

Hey Jeff.

I have used these little belt driven governors on three machines . A gasoline welder, a 350 chevy in a bulldozer and the pictures are on my sawmillā€™s Mercedes motor .

I couldnā€™t see any name or numbers and right off hand donā€™t remember where I got it :cry:.

Regarding add on governors, I made one up myself years ago for my homemade welder. I never got pictures but the one in my head. I built it as a kid, so you should be able to do it.

1 Like

This one is only $800.00

http://gilmore-global.com/product_types/governors.html

Maybe I could modify a Far all governor or make my own like Andy did.

Balls to the wallā€¦!!!

For 800 you can buy the full farmall running motor with with a governor and get the tractor for freeā€¦ lol

2 Likes

Only one governor at Surplus Center right now, but I have gotten belt drive governors there for as little as $30. I just looked around a bit and got sticker shock, though.
Iā€™d start googling around till you find a deal you can live with.
Some search terms:
belt drive governor
Pierce Lockcraft
Hoof

I did see one from a ā€œ4 cylinderā€ ford engine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoof-Belt-Driven-Governor-for-Stationary-Engine-from-a-Ford-4cyl-Ind-Engine-/252821596281?hash=item3add576879:g:LIAAAOSwzgBYzzaG
$49.99.

Pete Stanaitis

Not that it is applicable to the AMC i6 but I noticed ebay has a couple of different electric governors for generators for around 50 bucks.

If you are going to make one, i would personally be impressed with a flyball. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Pete

I had forgotten where I got the governors but I thought I paid $30 - $35, 20 years ago .

In the late 80ā€™s I got one at the local hardware store. Iā€™m sure it was under $100. Now I saw one at $1400.00ā€¦!!!

I could adapt one but the itch to build one is setting in. The $50 electronic ones are just a Chinese controller, no servo or sensor. But Iā€™d rather do my programming with a lathe and welder.

Air might be an option but the ball thing would be the checkers.

A lot of belt drivin governors were used on combines in the fifties ,sixties & early seventies, I rebuilt lots of them.
Check farm yards for old Oliver combines)
Calvinā€¦

3 Likes

They arenā€™t right for your project. You would need to add like a TBI kit which is modded from a GM truck parts, and you are changing the whole fuel delivery system. I just thought it was interesting you could get the board to allow for constant rpm and with rpm limiting which is needed for the AC frequency regulation for isosynchronous generators for 50 bucks. it is actually overkill.

Iā€™m still in the flyball camp. :slight_smile:

The fly ball just looks too cool. They are one of the reasons I always wanted a steam engine just to actually be able to say look at this cool old mechanical system someone came up with.

But I was thinking the auto mix valves that some people on here have shown which are driven by electric motors could be the start of a full fuel system where you use electric throttle control and a speed sensor to build a governor controlled engine. It would be perfect for a tractor because you could set the throttle and regardless of what rpm you pick the speed sensor could be added into the fuel supply and mix to hold speed. That said i really hate the idea of electronic controls on a motor that vibrates all the time. I keep thinking simple mechanical cables work great on internal combustion engines. I feel like electronics on these motors adds more failure points then they are worth for the most part. Funny comment comming from me as I did almost 20 years as an electronics controls engineer.

1 Like

I guess they all work out in the end.

Back in the day when I installed a belt gov on a sawmill engine I tried to use a push pull cable and I learned that good linkage was a good idea so now Iā€™m thinking to combine the governor into the carburetor. Course now a longer fuel/mixture path might become a problem. I have a few junk Detroit governors to play with but I should check out the Farmall design because that is a rotate motion where the Detroit is a push pull, if I remember correctly.

5 Likes