Victoria's Corner

Nice work steve, it can be an other supply of bio mass fuel, though it seems they would behard too dry out, or can you dry them after they are pellets, let us know the tar level, or are them pellets for heating fuel.

Do you think news paper would work also.

Kevin the drying is part of the pelletizing process. This fuel is ready go right out of the mill if its done right.

Hi Wood Gassers,

My students just finished a nice pellet mill for me:

I am just waiting for next week to get in some testing time.

Stephen

8 Likes

Hi Wood Gassers,

I finally had a chance to test some of my large diameter leaf pellets. The results are encouraging:

The big surprise was the ash content. It was only 7% by weight. I was expecting much higher. I believe wood is 1-2%. I will check this next week using the same test method. The next stop is a gasifier run.

Stephen

11 Likes

Can you use junk mail as well? Seems like it would go though the same system and we all get more then enough.

I wouldn’t use any glossy pages, they hardly burn in open air. Probably do an open burn of a page you are thinking of using. If it lights hard and barely burns, it’s a no use.

1 Like

Dan,

I suspect junk mail would be a problem. Paper is mostly cellulose, clay for gloss, and a binder like starch. There is no lignin to hold it together. I’m not sure if the starch could do the same job.

Stephen

2 Likes

Oh well so much for that idea. Atleast I have a wood stove to put it in. Just thought maybe it would be another way to get ride of it. I really like your setup to use chips as it allows you to use what would normally be waste.