Volkswood 1971 bug-truck with Imbert gasifier

i said sorry =) i jumped the gun =(

11 Likes

ok so i went out and took the unit open in a few spots and holy crap everything is WET like dripping water out no tar just a ton of water and b4 the filters its black water but ther is no tar b/c i can touch it with my fingers and it wipes off cleanly and it dosent stink!! i hate the smell of wood tar!! lol =) i didnt realize it untill it was too late that 1/3 of the block got like water in the bin wile it was in storage so the block was like litteraly WET! =( LMAO it still ran =)

4 Likes

i finally found the video i was looking for this video has the core built but nothing else on it and i describe the dimensions and theroie video was made 2 7 14 so when i said this car was made in 2013 i was mistaken it was made in 2014 =) this car won 1st place rat rod at the show that year =)

3 Likes

Your nobody in the car world untill you intake looks like a mile high monument of some sort lol my liberization from the naturaly asperated energy cast is almost completeit has a car and a throtle body b/c the carb is so it can run gasoline and the throtle body is for running it on wood…i think it looks awsome lol =)

10 Likes

It does look awsome. What kind of blower are u using?
Rindert

1 Like

its an AMR 500 =) they are used on minis and subarus =)

2 Likes

Thats so tall you might need guy wires to keep it from blowing over in a storm.

4 Likes

Actually a micro roots! Cool. I worked on devo of turbo for 1.9 TDI.
How much boost? Do you get back all your power compared to dino?

1 Like

Another option is the VW turbo off the 1.9 PD engine.
The waste " picket style " gate system on the older ones lets it spool up faster than a normal wastegate turbo.

You do not want a lot of boost here.
Especially on gasoline without internal modifications, but the high octane of producer gas and slow flame travel mean it will run with 3 to 5 PSI and you can recover all your lost power without the parasitic loads a super charger brings.

Cheap too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-2004-2005-Volkswagen-Beetle-Jetta-GTI-1-8-Turbocharger-Turbo-/273504256246

Looking at this and I am scratching my head for a moment.
That just does not look right.
Because it is not…

WATCH OUT
Aftermarket replacement, but not the same as the OEM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD-Jetta-Golf-Beetle-1-9-TDI-BEW-04-05-06-KP39-Turbo-OEM-Borgwarner-Volkswagen/173709731260?hash=item2871e825bc:g:00UAAOSw9tlb0PjO:rk:10:pf:clock1030:
And noe more thing it has that madening electronic waste gaste possition sensor.
There is a simpler version used on the pre 2005 TDI.
You do need vacuum to operate this too requires a Vac booster or a very clever man to use the vacuum created by a gasifier/filter drop to drive the control. ( I would still use an over boost sensor of some sort maybe add an arduino and keep the electronic wastegate sensor… all this adds complexity in order to safe a few pounds of wood… )

3 Likes

its suposed to do aprox 5lbs of boost @ 2:1 overdrive =)

2 Likes

ya the super is self regulating it will only produce aprox 5lbs no regulation required i used this sys as opposed to the turbo dew to the lack of complexity

2 Likes

Hmmm. 5psi is about 1/3 atmosphere, so should increase air/fuel charge density by about 1/3. Sooooo, .7 x 1.33 = .93. Whould you feel that your engine is making 93% of the power it did on petro?

1 Like

i have no idea yet as i have not run the engine in this configuration yet

1 Like

How are you going to brace it?
Will not take much vibration to cause trouble.

2 Likes

this is how im going to send it it has a brace going down to the old fuel pump boss =)

1 Like

I think there is a real risk your studs will get pulled out of the block.

1 Like

you do know they are threaded in right and the bottom of the intake manifold is bolted to the case at the T in the manifold i think it will be fine =)

1 Like

i dont think its going to vibrate around the way you think this one looks fine and it basicaly has the same brakets

4 Likes

here is another one same basic setup

3 Likes

If other people do that way should be fine then
Watch it just the same, yours is longer more weight and there remains a chance for a sympathetic resonance to shake things.

3 Likes