Vulcan Gasifier 25 kW System

How big is you hopper ?
I’m using a 55 gal drum and my engine is under load at 2300 rpm I use a hopper every 1 ½ hours!

Are u running at 1500 rpm ?
I would suggest adding an extra flywheel.
What governor controller ?
I have the ESD5500E from Georgia generators, it is a very capable system but I do find I have to adjust mine on a daily basis because of the varying wood gas!

Thanks patrick

Hi Patrick, The hopper is 36 x 30 and will hold 20 cubic feet plus. The primary hopper will add an additional 4 cubic feet. Im not sure what controller they sent Im assuming its the same as yours. Good to know about the adjustment. Ill have to figure this into the design so this can be done outside of the engine compartment.

I machined out the LoveJoy couple today. So this will mount directly to the crank behind the flywheel. Ill order the bolts for this on Monday and finalize this part of the build. Much more to come.

Lookin good Matt.

Hi Matt
Are you going to blow your exhaust gases through the hopper to heat and dry the fuel wood ?
There are a few tricks with the actuator as well!
That hopper should hold a few hours, have you come up with a hopper feed system ? And a controler ?

That is my next step.
Thanks Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Yes heat recirculation is part of the plan; however, our lead time is very short. So I am going to omit this part of it and just stick to the basics.

But I am planing on building a chamber for the exhaust to preheat the air and then flow thru the hopper. Not sure I want to use the wood gas for this as this will just add to the cleaning maintenance. I might reserve the waste heat from the producer gas for heating and hot water. There should still be plenty of heat left over from the exhaust after it leaves the hopper as well.

For the auger Im going to stick to the air cylinder idea, this should be a bullet proof idea and is simple. Im going to use the earth augers for our system. These are abundant, inexpensive and I can get one when ever I need one. The motor is a 1/2 hp DC motor with a 40:1 reduction box. So it will have plenty of power. Hope to have started this part of it by late next week.

Hey Patrick, the actuator they sent is just a box with a lever on it. What is suppose to read the RPM? Am I supposed to come up with this part or is something missing?

Hi Matt
There should be a magnetic speed sensor that you drill and tap in to the bell housing, it picks up from the teeth of the ring gear.

Matt what governor have they sent you ? Was it a kit ?
Speed sensor, ESD 5500E and then an actuator ?

Here is what was sent to me. Just these actuator boxes with nothing else.

Matt was it a kit they sent you or just a actuator?
There should be a ESD 5500 E speed controller and a speed sensor (pick up).
Just google the ESD5500E , I got mine from eBay where they were selling a kit.
If you watch my youtube videos you can see the controller and actuator.
That is the same actuator that I have.
This is the speed controller.

OK now it all makes sense!! Not sure whats going on if either I misunderstood or they forgot to pack this with my order. What I thought I was getting was the complete kit for $350.00 additional cost. Does this sound about right? Or is this controller more than this?

Hi Matt
This what you should have got. I payed $395.00 +postage .
“Electronic Governor-Speed Controller-12 volt 5500E Universal Governor Kit”

Did you order two actuators or a kit ?
How many machines are you building?

I tried to find the kit on eBay but it seams they have taken the offer off.
You will have to talk to Tom or Chris at C.G.G.

I think send them this photo and the description.

Thanks Patrick

Hi Matt
Check these sensors out as a possible hopper level sensor.
http://www.balluff.com/balluff/MUS/en/news/Search-for-Better-Proximity-Sensor.jsp

Patrick

Hi Matt
What do you mean be an earth auger ?
Some thing on this lines?
They jam up easily!

Hi Patrick,

Yeah Ill have to contact them and see whats going on. Yeah I thought I was supposed to get the whole kit. Yes those sensors might work and this is where I want to go. But I dont have enough time to find out. The air cylinder will work Ive done things like this before. Yes the earth auger sort of looks like that but they have a longer pitch. A little pointer is your housing has to have very tight tolerancing or it will jam.

Hi Matt
Are you going to fit a compressor to the system to supply air to the cylinder?
Please could you explain what you mean by tight tolerances on the auger to prevent it jamming ?
Are you feeding wood pellets or wood chunks?
If wood chunks are you going to screen it first ?
Thanks patrick

Here is the model of the machine, this is just a crude model for us to follow. So many details are left out, I will fill in all of this later on when time permits. But you can see where there will be the platform for reloading the secondary hopper. On the primary I located where the air cylinder will live, I may need to get a longer one. 12" seems a little short now. The rod will be protected with a kevlar boot and will seal it tight and protect it from tar and heat. There will be a 8" flashback port on the primary hopper and this will double as an access port. On the secondary hopper opening the lid will be automated with an air cylinder. This I think will be a cool feature as you will activate it from below and let the smoke out before going up there. Also this will be controlled with a low pressure just enough to seal it, but will allow for pressure release.

Bellow the loading platform there will be compartment for batteries and a small air compressor for running the air system. This should be a very low consumption system so just a small compressor will only be needed. The control box will be mounted to the large hopper and located next to the gasifier. Inside the framing there will be a panel system to enclose the system from the elements. This will follow our existing format, another feature is the media filter will have a side access door and will pull out on a glide system. There will be some quick disconnects and just slide out for easy media changing.

Matt are you going to use the frame as a cooling rack ?

Hi Patrick,

Yes screened chips are the intended fuel. The auger has a long pitch. The auger should have a round housing just large enough for the auger to fit in. I have a guy that is helping me with the auger part, He works for National Bulk Equipment in Holland Mi. This is what they do. So I am going of off what he is telling me to do there. But what I gather if it is loose what ever you are pushing will get hung up and wedge in the open spaces.

The cooler is a large version of our liquid cooled condenser. These have proven very effective for us,and are very compact. This way this waste can also be directed to remote radiator for space heating.