Vulcan Gasifier 25 kW System

If it is directly coupled to the alternator you will need to run at 1800 RPM for 60 hertz.

There are governors available on Ebay at reasonable prices, maybe you do better locally.

Well it turns out I had the controllers the whole time I just didn’t look hard enough. They packed them inside the generator and I never went as far as taking off the service cover. These machines are going abroad and require a different frequency. I think they are specked for same as what Patrick is running.

Most likely will be 50 hertz then which mean you will need to run at 1500 RPM. You will get about a 20% drop in the horsepower you are used to at 1800 RPM.

Hi Matt
Where are the units going ?
Here in Africa ?

Hey guys, these are going to Indonesia, Yeah that sounds about right. 50 hrts @ 380 Volts 3 Phase. Yes this is why I went big with the engine.and am planning for the 4.8 Vortec LS-1…as an upgrade option.

More progress, on this thing. I have the Hopper just about done and have mounted it on the machine. Still need to build the automated lid and build the drive for the auger yet. Im ordering some parts for this so Ill resume this in a couple of days and finalize this part of the build. We should have the filter system in place by the end of the day tomorrow. Im hoping to have the electrical box installed by the end of the week. I think the opening in the auger housing is too small I might crawl in there and open it up a bit to the one side. Probably going to put a shaker on the long panel as well and this will activate with the auger motor.

New here Sir but It seems if you were to edge the inlet of the auger with a strip of stiff bristled brush about an inch overlap from outside toward center it would direct your feedstock away from the edge where the potential to bind is high. It would have give in either direction where the solid pipe will be unforgiving. It may not need it except for the entrance to the tunnel. Possibly just a brush on the entrance to keep things directed below the inlet pipe… may be enough.

Better yet a rotating circular brush to level the entrance of the feedstock, but that is over complicated, unless it was easily geared to the auger. Just thoughts Sir.
Cheers.
Shaun

P.S. Very pro work.

More progress, now its starting to look like a machine. The engine and generator dont look so big any more. lol

The filter system is mounted in place, the auger is together and we have the stairs done, plus many other fine details. But much more to do yet, my plan for the blower isnt going to work out, so I need an alternate plan. Probably going to mount this on the cold side of the condenser. This wont be as clean as Id like, as this will stick out side of the enclosure, but function over looks is more important.

Tomorrow I should have the auger tunnel connected to the primary hopper and blower hooked. Then the fun begins with all the electrical on this thing, Im hopping by late next week this one will be finalized and ready for paint and then testing.

Hi Matt
How it you monster coming along, have you fitted the speed controller and actuator yet?
If you have a moment some vid of your feed auger in operation would be very much appreciated.
Have you tested the hopper air cylinder yet ?
Thanks
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I had to put them on hold and take a break from it, Im working on updating the CAD for our 2014 models. All machines need to get the generation 5 upgrades. This is pretty much a complete redesign internally. We got an extension on the delivery and have more stuff ordered. Once I get our 2014 M-II detail prints and assembly drawings done, Im going to cut my guys loose on them and I will resume the 25 kW system.

We have another one sold that the customer specked the Lister engine. We should be receiving this in a couple of weeks. Im planning on early February to start that build.

OK back to work!!

We are making new progress on the machines. This first is nearing completion now, but lots of small details to finish yet and time is hard to gauge. The other machine is now in its assembly faze, it should go together quick as we have built most of the components at the same time as the first one. We just didnt have the room to build both of em. We are going to wait until we move into the new building before we tackle the Lister version of this.

Im now finally focused 100% on the electrical. We just finished the panel system and this required the hopper and everything to be disassembled. So I was not able to do any wiring, until we completed this and were able to get it back together.

I have one of my guys working on the rest of the mechanical while I do the wiring. We still need to mount the radiator, alternator, finish exhaust, pneumatic system, rpm governor, condenser cooling system etc. So still lots to do yet

Im hoping things will be really close to completion this weekend and we can test next week sometime.

Here are some build pictures, I bought an exhaust bender from Woodward Fab. This bender was supposed to be a good bender and not crush the tubing. That was not the case with ours, I had to make a few mods with trial and error but we finaly got it to work and still a bargan for 600 bucks.

The tunnel connection for the auger will get revised for the next one. This one did not turn out as clean as I would like, well get it right on the next one.

Hi Matt
Looking very nice.
Can’t wait to see the video walk around.
Thanks patrick

Looking good Matt… keep up the good work…

Nice work Matt !!

Thanks again guys,

Well still not quite done yet, I did as much as I could this week on the electrical and Im still not done. But we are getting closer, the four core radiator is in place and we mounted the chiller for the condenser under the stairs. We just need to mount the fan yet and then plumb it all in. The air system is custom built, I could not find a DC air compressor, so I built one. It is just a DC tire pump with a portable air tank. I have electronic pressure switch that will control it at 20 to 30 psi. The working pressure should be under 10 psi, but this may change later. Im waiting on some air fittings to complete the air system and it will be complete. This air system may seem elaborate for a single air cylinder, but this system will be built up later on to control air valves and an auto lid opening system later. It is still a simple system and will be cost effective later on with our own manufactured valving and will give us the flexibility to do other things as well.

I have the electrical box just about wired up now, I need to wire in the speed controller yet and then I can start stringing wire to the components. So this should be done tomorrow. My guy I had assigned to finish up the mechanical was a no show this weekend. So still lots to do there yet, as soon as Im done with the wiring we should be in good shape to finish this up this week and start testing.

Hi all,

Well we are rapping things up on this one, I am now debugging and fine tuning it. We ran into a few issues with the auger jamming, I bought another auger that is 1" smaller in diameter and put a flex coupling at the drive end and it seems to be working fine now. The air cylinder system is working as planned and so far is working great. We are drying fuel for more testing now and hope to have video soon. It is scheduled to ship next Friday if all goes well. We did get the engine to fire up but ran out of dry fuel soon after, so we didnt get much run time or time to fine tune. But this machine is making very clean gas, not speck of black any where in the hay filter.

http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/010.jpg
http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/011.jpg

Wow Matt, Nice job! Looks like you are in your new building too!

Hi Matt
Looking very nice, how much run time will you have on a hopper ?
You definitely have enough room to swing a cat in you new building!
How’s the governor working ?
Thanks Patrick

Thanks guys,

Swing a cat lol

Yeah the new building is so nice, now I can walk around with out tripping over every thing. Lots of room and lights!!

Yeah still not sure on the run times to really give an accurate estimate yet. We really have not even established the machine yet, but its looking very promising.

The govoner I think is doing its thing still have not quite figured it out yet. When we had it running for the short time we did it was wildly fluctuating. Its still on the stock settings yet, but once we can get it up and running with the gasifier running in its proper parameters Ill start to fiddle with those. Might need your help on that :slight_smile:

No problem.
What rpm are you running ?
Do you have the manual for the governor ?
Not just the two page leaflet the GG send with the unit!
Once running you have to check voltages and frequency going to and from the probe. Then you may have to bridge out two of the terminals to get the controller in to the right frequency range.
Also I have put a fan on to the actuator to keep it cool or it hunts!

Here is a link to the manual.
Down load and print.
http://www.sande.cl/files/catalogos/CONTROL_GAC[1].pdf
Thanks
Patrick