Vulcan Gasifier

I think the first chunkier that Andy posted would make good “domino size” chunks using slats out of pallets.TomC

1 Like

Hey Matt; You said you purchased a HB Plasma Cutter and it worked ok. I went to Green Bay to HF today to buy one. They wanted $650. Most of the guys were talking about in the $300 class. Is that what yours cost??? TomC

1 Like

Nope I paid $800.00 for mine. I bought the $300.00 machine and practically gave it away. If you just need to cut stuff the cheap ones will serfice just fine. But if you want some power and a higher quality cut then go with the HF machine. Our machine has been quite reliable as well still going strong, knocking on wood

2 Likes

Matt; HF only had one model Plasma Cutter. Do you think the $650 one I looked at would be the one you purchase, except the price has come down. I was encouraged when you said your HF worked so well, now I think the price is up in the Hobart or Miller class.TomC

1 Like

Yes its the same one, its prolly on sale right now

2 Likes

Tom, if you’re shopping for a plasma cutter, also take a look at the Everlast SuperUltra 205 for $750. It’s a multifunction machine with dc Tig and stick functions along with the 50 amp plasma. It’s a dual voltage inverter machine so you can use it on 120 volt when you need to use it in the back garage. It has a 3 year warranty and real tech support if you need it. It seems like a good choice between the high priced professional stuff and the Harbor Freight equipment. I have the Everlast machine but have not used it yet so I can’t report any real world experience. If you want to try my machine I can haul it up to Crivitz. Hope this didn’t sound too much like an Everlast commercial :slight_smile: Just my 2 cents worth. BTW-I will email you about Argos if you are going again this year.

4 Likes

What he said, our weld shop carries them now. The torch looks like they are good quality. Keep us posted on your experience.

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer Kevin. I would love to have a combination welder/ cutter, but that means one more gas I have to keep around. I ran out of oxygen the other day and when I bought the next refill, my thoughts went back to plasma cutting. I would not get rid of my oxygen / acetylene tanks, but would have to fill them less. Still something like $180 a year rent on tanks. That is 50 cents a day just to have tanks sitting around.TomC

2 Likes

Wow, I played a $100 for a life time lease on both tanks. Picked up another lease a few years ago so I don’t run out during a project frenzy.

I looked at plasma again and decided to just order a few $6 propane nozzles. Later I’ll get the T hose and regulator. Maybe trade in one act tank for another oxz tank.

Onwards and upwards.

2 Likes

I used a Victor cutting torch for years with acetylene gas until it got really expensive and then found out that the regulator and same cutting tip works with propane too. Been using it ever since on propane without changing anything. The only thing I found out is that you get more heat for starting the cut by holding the light blue flame tips a little farther from the work than you do with acetylene. After I got my plasma cutter I now use it only for heating stuff or cutting stuff away from electricity.

3 Likes

I feel very lucky…I got my Oxygen and Acetylene tanks 25 years ago for a $250 life time lease. The new 75/25 Argon tank for the Mig was $270 for a one time purchase / no gas. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago and had it filled for $65.

Everything seems a little higher than one would like but still within reason compared to others on the site… I haven’t bought any Acetylene for 20 years so I may have to look at using some propane. Not sure how much I still have on hand, with my luck it has probably all leaked off over the years, we shall see very shortly, haven’t had a reason to use the torch until tackling this project and coming out of project retirement!

1 Like

Hi Don, I’ve been using propane for 40 yrs. I even braze with it, but I use propane cutting tips for both. The tips use to be expensive, but I got a #1 two piece tip for $7.00 off ebay. Al

3 Likes

I have some nice gasoline blow torches.

Mostly for fun, but they heat things.
Often thought about an oxy/propane set but 95% of what want to cut I can do with saber saw.
Nothing I need to braze I can’t bubble gum with the flux core 90.

When things get real bad I farm it out.

2 Likes

As I understand it the two piece nozzles make a big difference when using propane. Propane and others attack R hose and the diaphragms in act regulators but they will run that way for some time.

Ordered 000 and 00 nozzles.

If I decide to cancel my lease I give them the tanks and they refund all my money. I’m lucky there…

2 Likes

II guess I’m just a smuck when it comes to welding tanks. I bought my first tanks in Akron, O in about 1970. When I moved to Calif, they said they had to be tested before they would fill them. Had them tested and filled and the next time I got gas they just exchanged the tanks. The next time I came in they just flat refused to fill my tanks. I have been renting tanks every since.$60 a year per tank.

Ok so I’m still looking for a plasma cutter. Don, I have heard it said that I can use my present oxy / acc set for propane. On your recommendation I am going to try it. I have a small propane tank that should be fairly full in the shop.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestion.TomC

2 Likes

Tom,

Hadn’t thought they may not fill my old tanks…
I didn’t know they needed periodic testing. I may be in for some fun very soon when I try to refill.

My thin metal welding skills have always been with the torch and bailing wire. That is the way I learned in Welding class in High School. Then practical aplication after that at my Sawmill. Got to get the Mig up and running and get some practice in, but I can always fall back on the torch in a pinch…

3 Likes

I understand that very well. My hobby was body work and everything was O/A and wire. With the Mig. Get the feed and temperature set for the wire you are using. Do not change these after you find the sweet spot— just vary your stick out and how close you hold the tip. For the metal thickness you leave every thing the same and vary the speed of your motion. Just a tipTomC

2 Likes

Here is a brand new project I am adding to my bucket list. I have been interested fuel cell technology for as far as I can remember. This is really the root technology that got me here. I first wanted to learn how to produce hydrogen and got very deep into the ultra efficient electrolysis cells. That technology lead me to wood gas and well; here I am. The last few years I have been researching materials on and off. The Solid Oxide Fuel Cell seems to be the type of cell that will work best with syngas. These not only process hydrogen, but also the CO and methane. This cell will be a graphene based unit with a special ceramic electrolyte. The ceramic electrolyte is the hard part, it must have proper density and porous enough for the ion exchanges to take place. I have a concept ceramic material that is easily obtainable that I might be able to control thru compression of the cell. Has it been done before or will it work? I have absolutely no idea. However, if I get any reactions to take place I will call it a success and make this open source so it can be made better. But like many of my projects, priorities must come first. But we are on track to begin new development later this spring so hopefully Ill have the time to build this. Its really not a big project to build this cell and materials should not break the bank too bad. Ill probably have less than 400 bucks into this build. If it dont work Ill still enjoy the experimenting, When I get some more time Ill get an expoded view of this out here :fire:

4 Likes

I wonder if 3D printing technology could be applied to either fuel cell or even lead-acid battery manufacturing processes to improve efficiency/reduce weight and size?

2 Likes

Possibly on the ceramic coatings and definitely on new upcoming battery technology. Graphene batteries are on the way and promise to be affordable.

2 Likes