Vulcan Power Station

Hi Matt, Have you looked into Edison cells?
Dave

Yeah Dave, I might have to experiment with this tech later on.

Well I did take some video but the files are messed up and I can not get them to play on any player. Thats OK this customer ordered two more of the 2 kW systems so Ill get another chance to take video. They are going to make a very generous investment into my company and are also going to help with further development. They have multiple companies and have a lab with high end equipment specific for gasification. So more to come on that.

So moving on Im now working not only on those two, 2 kW machines, but Im also working the more advanced 5 kW CHP system. This machine features the fuel injected twin with liquid cooling. I think I mentioned some where on here that it was direct injection, that is not the case. It looked that way in the box but it is multi port injection still impressive for a little motor. For this build Ive built a more advanced ES-III gasifier. It features stainless steal guts and is heavily insulated with ceramic insulation and heat shielding. I found a very good alternative to building the reduction cones from scratch, McMaster Carr has butt weld stainless steel pipe reducers that come in perfect sizes and match the imbert specks very closely. They are much more heavy duty than I can make and it makes easier for to manufacture this. I ordered a 4 x 6 reducer and a 2 x 4 reducer and then inverted the 2x4 and inserted it into the 4x6 then welded it together. Ive tigged SS before but never mig welded the stuff. I was very surprised how well it is mig, it welds very nice and clean. Another feature is the ash clean out, I did this on the Farm All and it worked pretty well. There is V shaped channel at the bottom of the machine with a 2" pipe nipple welded to each end. One of the caps will have a plunger on it, to clean out the ash you remove both caps and use the one cap with the plunger to push the ash out of both ports.

Well more to come on this build, lots of work to do yet before it looks like a machine. Hope to have this guy up and running by the end of the month. So Ill keep ya’ll posted as things progress, Im very excited about the 5kW CHP this I believe will be the machine that will define my company.

Matt: Looks pretty good! Great to hear about the company connection with lab etc.!

I have to say that the plunger style cleanout is pretty ingenous.

Matt, I like your ash clean out too and I am planning something similar only with one pipe cap and a spring auger like they use in animal feeding applications. A fitting on a crank handle or a cordless drill should spin the ashes out in short order. This auger will bend so above bed cleanouts are a lot easier without dealing with hard to seal doors.
Don Mannes

Yup that is where I am planning on going with this too. I think the jeep wiper motors will have the power to get the task done as well.

Wheew!! finaly got two more done. The last two months have been busy, I built three turnkeys and two other gasifier plants since the beginning of July. All turnkeys all required on the fly engineering. The 5 kW system was the first of its kind and the 2 kW systems are now going through their manufacturing engineering phase. The pics show the first production version of the turnkey systems. They will undergo some fine tuning to make them more friendly to manufacture but are now very close to what will be required for faster manufacturing process.

Both of these 2 kW systems are going to the lab for testing, things will evolve even more as we learn the capabilities of the machines. The gears are already turning.

Ready for a week off :slight_smile:

Matt,

Very nice clean looking units.

Don and Matt,
I used a bulb auger for my ash cleanout, passing the shaft through a tee and drilled plug. Just another idea to consider!

Hi Billy
That is an absolutely brilliant idea!
I wish I had seen that it a month ago!
You could have a bolt/threaded rod extending from the bottom of your grate to just touch the auger blades and that could agitate your grate at the same time !

Thanks patrick

That is indeed a great idea. I still hope to incorporate one in one of my ammo cans. Thanks for the pictures too.

that is very nice, I too will build something like this.

The AFR’s will now become standard equipment on the generators from now on. Very cool little gadgets.