Vw golf on coal gas

One of my books recomends 45 feet (14m) of 2" tubing for the cooler for use on a 2.0l engine runing on wood gas.

This sounds like a bit much?

As I do not have a pickup I would like to keep it down in size, not sure how though.

A production intercooler would be nice and could maybe work with a hot filter?
Would copper tubes help?

2 Likes

I think the intercooler would be too likely to clog.

Copper is heavier and relatively expensive. Not saying it couldn’t be done. I think that cooling fins would greatly increase the cooling effect for a given area, but the issue would be how to practically achieve the construction.

1 Like

Hi, the cooler on my Ranger is a little too small. I get some water down stream towards the engine, so I put a low spot in the pipe with a drain valve, seems to work. You could also put a drop out trap to catch it.

3 Likes

Do you have a temp gauge at the engine intake, if so how varm is the gas?

1 Like

That number seems about right. I use about 12m of 2" piping + cyclone + a P19 condensation tank + hayfilter. Still I’m probably feeding the engine some water vapour in summertime.
Apart from loss of power on longer trips, it’s my experience moist gas will corrode your TB. On my VW Caddy throttle plates were eaten. On the Mazda, the screws holding them are about to disappear.
The more cooling the better.
Intercoolers could maybe be used if you do hot filtering prior to cooling or if you’re willing to flush them every day.

4 Likes