Weldingwire, flux cored, too cheap?!?

I ran out of flux cored welding wire. And there is NO store in my area, which sells it. So I have to go onto the web. Prices are all over the place, but in general, it’s ~15 euro/kg for 0.8 mm flux cored welding wire.

I don’t use Amazon much, if ever. (I’m from the Netherlands btw) But now, I’ve found a DIRT cheap flux cored weldingwire. Not sure how well this link works, and if it gets directed to a english version. But yea, this is the link: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B07MMVN6N3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1CRZUZODK2XXL&psc=1

Am I missing something?!? It looks to be too cheap to believe…

1 Like

Good morning Jahee,
Your link works well. And easily translates into English.
Bottom of presentation is the Reviews section.
Some times helpful.
Ha! No reviews yet on this product.
Sometimes you just have to be the first to try. Be the pathfinder.
For this price your tears should not be too large.
Good luck
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Tryed to order it. 5 rolls, so 5 kg in total. Price: 29,50. Shipping: 29,50. Still a good deal, but I’d have to wait till november 14-18.

What would you consider a good/fair price for this type of welding wire? (0.8 mm, 1 kg, flux cored)

Also, I’m going to wait with my order, because it isn’t as cheap as expected, with these shipping costs. Monday, a local store should be open again. They sell 5 kg rolls of flux cored welding wire. But that won’t fit on/in my welder. So I might just modify my welder, so I can fit a roll like that “somewhere”. (back or side)

1 Like

You might want to make certain that the wire driving system on your welder can handle that larger spool. You could rewind wire from the 5kg spool onto an empty 1 kg spool. That way your welder would still be easy to move around the shop or wherever you are working.

2 Likes

I think that is the best option. And be very gratefull you live in a country you can buy everything on every corner. I know it is not the same everywhere.

1 Like

I don’t know metric. I always used a ten pound spool on my Lincoln machine by cutting the center out of a two pound spool and using it in the center of the bigger one. No problems. I always used either Hobart or Lincoln wire mostly because that what was available everywhere and it works well but I never liked Harbor Freight wire. Just didn’t run right for me. Never tried any other brands.

2 Likes

You mean being able to actually spin the spool? Yea, that is of some concern. I might take a (junk) bicycle apart, and use some of those bearings to make something work alrite. And yes, moving it around won’t be fun afterwards.

I’ve considered respooling a 1 kg spool. But I’d asume it needs to be very neat. I fear that it otherwise not might run right.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t find a 1 kg flux core weldingwire @ every corner. Had to ride my bicycle 25 km in total, to buy the incorrect type of weldingwire. (seller said it was flux-core, it wasn’t, so I had to make that 25 km bicycle trip twice to get a refund)

4 Likes

My welding skills are limited. And my welder is a really budget one. I just buy the wire that I can find which remains affordable. (I prefer to buy local)

3 Likes

And something like that happens always on a saterday too, when all industrial shops are closed.
Don’t bother to much with the flux. As soon as your skils develop a little, the only thing you are going to use this machine is maybe an anker.
A nice second hand mig mag doesn’t cost to much. Small botle of gas either. Cranentroep sells it for little.

1 Like

Jahee, You are very dedicated taking that long ride twice! I am a bit envious of your cycling culture encouragement and infrastructure. The industrial supply (to the trades) stores are closed on weekends here, sometimes open Saturday mornings. We have agricultural supply stores that cross over to hardware and home supply items. They are usually open on the weekends and have a small welding supply section. We also have those giant hardware stores that sell everything but groceries, and soon, who knows? Maybe a friend could loan you some. It would be difficult to reel wire off a large spool neatly on to a small one, springy stuff wants to go everywhere but where you want it. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve upgraded from a cheap stick welder, to an mig/flux-core welder. I kinda like the size, and it does what I need it to do. And yes, I’ve welded plenty with CO2, and it’s way superior. But considering my budget and (storage) space, I don’t see myself upgrading within the next 5 years. So I’ll be stuck with flux-core welding.

4 Likes

Yea, the Netherlands is awesome for bicycling. Especially my province. (Friesland) Small villages are even better connected (shorter distances) with bicycle roads, then with car roads. (horrible english, but I hope you get the point)

The bad thing about industrial supply stores (in my area) is… They sell to the industry, often times, not to consumers. And one store did sell to consumers, but then covid happened. (only in-person pick-up if you’re a company, and if you’d made an online order) Also, they usually start with 5kg spools. Not tiny 1 kg ones.

There are plenty of hardware stores in my area. But they only sell electrodes for stick welding, not mig/mag welding supplies. So there is that.

And finaly: this store when I went to, was an agrigultural supplies store. Hence it being that far away in a village where there are more sheep then people. They did have flux-core welding wire, but it was crazy expencive IMO. It would be worth it to just order it online, instead of buying it there. Even though I like to support local shops.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yupyup. Watersports and related tourism is a fairly big thing in my province. Lots of recreation aswell. Most of it is kinda bellow sea lvl also, and very flat. Dedicated bicycle roads next to regular roads is VERY common. I’ve got several example pictures of that, to show what I mean.

Also, all this water might explain my other projects, aside from my gasifier. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You should try and find someone with a really good Welder and try it out. If all you have ever used is a cheap one you will be really surprised. There is a reason why some machines can run you a couple of grand. If you do a lot of welding you will probably be willing to sell one of your kidneys to get one. Of course you don’t have to spend that kind of money to get a really nice machine.

1 Like

I’ve used higher end professional/industrial welders before. This was about 10+ years ago, but still. I do know how awesome a good (mig) welder is. I also know my wallet. My dad once bought a used one. And if I wanted to use it, I’d have to pay part of the “bottle rent”, which was 150/year already. Not sure how accurate that was/is, because of the IQ of my dad, but still. I do know how awesome they are, and I also know the limits of my really budget one. Considering the amount of welding I do, it’s good enough. (as long as I can get affordable flux-core welding wire)

1 Like

Sure. I understand. I only stick weld now because I can stock pile a lot of pounds of rod but I cannot make Argon. In my old demented brain I am overly fixated on total self sufficiency or as close to it as I can come. Of course I also understand about the money part.

3 Likes

Hallo Jahee,
Your English is not horrible. I am also Frisian. My father came from Sneek. I have many relatives in Leeowarden, NOP Emeloord, Franeker, St. Annaparochie, Hitsum. Frieslan boppa!
I also have a very cheap flux core welder. At first I tried to use the very cheap wire that came with the machine. But then I bought much better wire. Two eleven pound spools (10 kilos) have cost me almost as much as the machine. This was wise for me, now I CAN weld.
The cheap wire has dirt in it, I think. I don’t really know, but that is my feeling.
Rindert

2 Likes

Fryslân Boppe! :stuck_out_tongue:

So you might also know the “sneekermeer”. That’s where I want to use some of my boaty projects.

Anyways, my tiny budget welder does only accept 1 kg spools. So a 10 kg spool requires some welder mods. Which I’m kinda already planning on making. On monday a car parts store will open again, and they do sell 5 kg flux-core wire. So I’ll be buying some of that. The store has a good reputation, and I think they don’t sell junk.

Also, as AvE would say: you don’t know how to weld, unless you’ve started with stick welding. And a skilled welder can even weld with a junk welder. With quality tools, anyone can use hotglue. Not to downplay the skills of anyone here on the forums. But yea, with cheap wire in my cheap welder, I can create and fix holes in very thin metal. Is it fun to use? No. Will a higher quality welder + welding wire be an advantage? SURE! Does my budget allow many choices? Nope…

Anyways, the origional welding wire I mentioned is getting too expencive considering the 4 euros added cost for every other spool. (rediculous) Will be trying to buy some 5 kg spools, and modify my welder.

2 Likes