Wheelchair accessible Dodge Ram

Wheel chair accessible Dodge Ram and camper.

7 Likes

Wow Calvin, you are a great fabricator with both ideas and workmanship. Your wife is a lucky gal to have a husband like you.

3 Likes

What Don said !!

I believe you could build anything .

3 Likes

Calvin, what Don and Wayne said. That is some beautiful workmanship you have there.
Enjoy the camping you two. God Bless.
Bob

1 Like

Hello fellow wood gasser’s
Thanks for all the nice comments about my modified Dodge Ram wheel chair conversion.
And thanks for watching the video.
I did this modification 5 years ago. It’s a 2 wheel drive . I raised the cab & box up 4 inches & lowered the floor 4 inches.I had to also lower the doors & make a new rocker.i made 2 hinges for the back door so as to open them all the way.I made the electric over hydraulic lift & fasten it to the frame. Also a locking device to lock the power chair to the lift, like a fifth wheel lock on a semi.
Being I raised the cab up 4 inches I had to manufacture a new fan hub & raise the fan up as well.I shortened the back seat as well.
All the bushings in the lift linkage I made from melted aluminum Pistons .
This project took me about 5 months.
It works great.
I thank the Lord for the guidance…

8 Likes

I was not able to watch the video when you first posted it, but now that I can, I see that is some really nice work there. I think I must add this to my playlist of ingenius machines.

3 Likes

Great work Calvin, made all the bushings by melting down pistons, Genius!!! Herb

3 Likes

Calvin, did you use a sand mold to cast that Molten aluminum or something else? Thanks, great work! HerbH

2 Likes

O my, I was glued to that presentation like a mars landing event. Great job, and I know it means sooo much to your wife. Happy travels, you deserve it.

3 Likes

Hello Herb
I use 12 inch pieces of pipe various sizes & stand them up on a 1 inch thick piece of plate to absorb the heat & pour the aluminum into the pipe.
After it cools down I put it into a bucket of water.
When it cools right down the aluminum shrinks more then the pipe and comes out , providing the burrs inside of the pipe were ground out a bit.
I then chuck the aluminum pieces in the lathe & make bushings , pulleys or what ever.
Calvin…

3 Likes

What a craftsman you are Calvin , puts everything I have ever laid my hands on to shame because not only does it work real well it also looks the business too , well done .

Dave

2 Likes

Thanks Calvin, now I have to ask you how you melt pistons, forge, oven, torch???
Making your own aluminum parts is a step beyond fabrication, hope you don’t mind sharing!!!
20 years ago I had to buy a round 8X12in chunk of aluminum to machine upper and lower blower pullies for my A, I don’t remember what it cost I just remember it was a lot!!! Your saving lots of money pouring your own!!!
Thanks for the info, Herb

2 Likes

Excellent work Cal, I’ll have to get my son to watch your video. I’m sure he’ll be ad impressed as I am.

1 Like