Will This Engine work?

I am a newbie. My question is can I use a 2005 chevy 4WD 1500 Ext Cab with a Vortec 4800 V8 SFI gas engine to convert to Wood Gas?

Thanks

3 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I made a 2011 GMC Sierra 4.3L run on woodgas.

Figure out which fuses run to the fuel injectors and fuel pump, in my case it was the ENG labeled fuse for the injectors. For stop and go town traffic I would only shut off the fuel pump and let the injectors dribble.

3 Likes

Hello Bill and welcome to the DOW ( drive on wood )

I don’t know if you have had time to read through the library but some information that might help.

5 Likes

Wayne,

I am honored that you replied. I read over 600 posts in the general starting with your first post. My question was not answered. Most used your choice a Ram V-10 or the smaller V-8 in the other doge products. Because of the computer in the GM vehicles are probably different than the Dodge I was wondering if anyone used the 4800 V-8 SFI. I did not see anyone using it. I will be buying your book and get access to its information and also access to all of the other posts.

7 Likes

Thanks Cody. I am sure I will be asking many question during my attempt to convert my old truck to DOW.

6 Likes

No problem.

I’m currently putting a Wayne Keith gasifier for my 76 GMC Sierra. While woodgas worked in my 2011 I’m still paying for it so I don’t want to tick off my bank.

Definitely look at the Wilbur Smith build that Wayne did, dimensions can be the same, only thing that would change would be choke plate size.

4 Likes

LS motors are interference motors. If you get your intake valves sticky at the very slightest you will smash every intake valve. OBD-2 is is OBD-2 it dont mater what the make is.

4 Likes

As far as I know, all the engines folks here have wood gassed are interference engines. That normally means a valve trying to occupy the same space as the piston. I think tar locked valves are a different kind of problem.

1 Like

I dont know about the Dodge motors but SBC’s will free wheel, LS motors wont. Been there done it.

If the valve is just sticky after a shut down and you hit the starter; you will be rebuilding that engine and spending lots of money getting those heads fixed.

2 Likes

most any ls engine can be had at my local wrecking yard complete runner for 3-700$ depending if you want a wire harness and computer with it, they are real affordable now here in western washington

4 Likes

I picked up an entire truck for 800 bucks with under 120,000 miles on the motor.

3 Likes

My local U Pull It yard has them ready to go in a nice package deal. Usually taken from totalled Yukon Denalis and Silverados. Not sure what their prices are though.

1 Like

You will get used to these threads wandering around Bill. Your engine is basically the same as the 5.3 and 5.7 and should have no problems any other OB2 engine has other than the plastic intake manifold found on most engines now.

4 Likes

Tom
I have seen the plastic intake manifold mentioned many times. My truck has one. What is the issue of plastic v metal?

Thanks,
Bill

Someone with experience with one will explain it better but basically it will be necessary to clean some soot out of your intake runners and if you have cast iron or aluminum manifolds you can more easily do it by burning it out.

4 Likes

There is also the risk of the plastic intake breaking apart if you have a backfire, which does happen especially if you’re too quick to mash the pedal.

Even with a relief valve it’s best to have a metal intake for those instances. It isn’t terribly hard to find one for a GM engine, even my 4.3 I can buy a cast iron Mercruiser plenum.

As far as cleaning, Mike LaRosa(RIP) used boiling hot water slowly poured down the intake via the throttle body while the engine was running on gasoline to steam clean it.

4 Likes

Got it. Makes sense.

1 Like

Look at Marcus’s latest video. Pretty much the opposite of ported and polished heads.

2 Likes