Wood Chunker Parts (N/A)

As most of you know I am abandoning chunk based wood in favor of chips. That said, I no longer need the axles I purchased to build a chunker. If anyone would like to build a chunker with axles, here’s your golden opportunity. I’m giving them away - I don’t need 'em, the old man doesn’t want 'em in his yard and I never plan to use them.

The scrap value has gone to nearly nothing, so they really aren’t worth my time to load and haul so they’re yours, FREE but you come and get 'em, and you load 'em! I’ll drag them up the hill to the road, and there’s a hill where they can be loaded onto a flatbed, but I don’t have a loader so some grunting will be required. I’m not separating them, so you gotta take both, because one will be a real PITA to move and load and I don’t want to deal with it. If they aren’t gone by then, they are headed to the scrap yard no later than next Tuesday (10-20-15).

I’m a bit light on the details but here’s what I have on them;

Removed from a Freightliner Tractor that was in an accident
Rockwell Differentials
3.42 Gears
They are Half-Leaf style Air-Ride equipped.

Contact me via email; [email protected] or text at [redacted]

No voice calls! My phone is my internet and remains locked in data radio only mode, it doesn’t even ring.

1 Like

Hi Henry, Bear in mind that some day the SWHTF and gasoline will be 5 or 10 bucks a gallon. Stick with it …
Chips will give you grief unless you plan to auger them in … A solid charcoal base is very important … Chips over chunks works way better or this has been my experience … Has anyone heard anything from Greg Manning ??? He’s a chip guy …
Don’t quit on us … Regards, Mike LaRosa

1 Like

I’m not quitting on you, I’m just done chunking wood. I’m not lazy either - when a job needs doing I get on it. That said, I don’t believe in searching for more work to do.

I can easily earn enough $ per hour to buy enough gasoline to go farther than I can go on the wood I can chunk in the same amount of time, sans sweating, smelling and light up time. Granted, when TSHTF it’s still a good option to have but there is a better way!

Finding the larger wood for chunking is becoming problematic and requires transportation of the larger feedstock to your processing area or transport of a larger chunking apparatus (Chris has a pretty good design going right now). A chipper is easier to transport, purchase and aquire parts for. Due to the smaller sizes of chips (vs Chunks), there’s less air gap between them when hauling which means higher fuel transport density. Also, I like having the local utilities and tree trimmers deliver my fuel ready to use for free, that’s hard to beat. Why haul and chunk it when they’ll chip and deliver it?

I am going to auger in the chips and auger out the ash, on both my stationary and mobile units. I’m also adding electronic ignition so I don’t reek to high hell when going somewhere nice. Continuous operation with an 800 mile range is nice too (not for trucks, smaller autos only). Think remote start for your gasifier…

Clean Hands, Clean Shirt, No Foul Odor, no stopping to fill the hopper - It’s be a brave new world…and it’s coming!

I don’t auger chips in and don’t seem to have a problem with them… mind you I’m only running tractors and small engines… I will make a bigger unit at some point… I believe it’s doable… just a matter of time to do it.

I had several truck loads of chips dropped off by the power company when I first got interested in gasification. a big percentage of them are long and stringy, and I really doubt they would flow through a gasifier. storage is also a problem. they will compost pretty quickly unless you dry them and store them inside. If you can make them work, I would love to hear about it since as you say prepared fuel delivered free would be just too much fun.

My for sale posting has apparently become a chip fuel discussion, which was not my intent as this is supposed to be the for sale only area of the forums. Chris will most likely move this to a new topic if it becomes an ongoing conversation about chips. While I would very much like to see increased interest in chip based gasification, it needs to be said that a design other than the WK gasifier is needed for a chip based fuel. Such a design would likely need it’s own section, or possibly it’s own website depending on how Chris and Wayne feel on the subject. Unless of course Wayne thinks we could modify his design for chips?

That said, I’ll wrap up my thoughts on what’s been posted thus far;

Andrew,

If they are long and stringy then they were shredded not chipped, always verify what equipment the trimmers use before taking delivery! As for storage, you should always dry your gasifier fuel, and actual chips store well in silos (but ONLY after they are dry - fire hazard).

For the Naysayers out there, chips can be made from the least desirable shrubs, bushes etc. This means there is almost no competition for them, and as such, there is very little likelihood of them ever becoming a pricey commodity. Should they become monetized, you can always source them yourself as with chunks, but for far less labor. Also, if you have to produce them yourself they can be made from the brush that naturally grows almost everywhere, a few acres of land left to grow naturally will yield an incredible amount of chippable brush in annual growth alone. And, because custom equipment isn’t required, you can obtain parts very easily. A well researched purchase of a chipper that uses generic blades can sometimes be re-bladed for less than the cost of sharpening (unless you sharpen your own, which you SHOULD be doing). In a pinch a push mower can become a make-shift chipper as demonstrated by Mr. Abadass!

The last point that I wish to make is that the bark of the wood contains more energy than the wood itself, and chipped brush, branches and shrubbery contain a lot more bark than chunked slab wood. Just fill up a hopper on Cherry and go for a drive. Small limbs, LOTS of bark VERY good power, my Big Block performed significantly better on a hopper of Cherry than a hopper of Oak. The additional bark may produce more ash, but if you’re utilizing the biochar (and you certainly should be) that’s not a bad thing, especially if you are auguring it out of the lower compartment and into a reasonably sized holding container, say 20-30 gallons.

I’m focusing on a trailer based build, not a truck. There is more room to work with and far less to work around which allows you to install larger tanks for ash, condensate, etc. And, unlike truck mounted units it can be made to be very discrete!

'Nuff Said, this is a for sale thread! Anyone not on the chip bandwagon stands to get a good deal on some heavy duty chunker axles!

I may be interested in one of those axles if you still have one by the time driveway fabrication season returns. I have no Idea what the value would be on them.

The front axle has the power divider on it, if you aren’t familiar it’s basically a pneumatic clutch. When air pressure is applied it couples and connects another driveshaft (which exits the rear of the pig) and drives the second differential behind it.

The second differential is a traditional one, but my memory is a little fuzzy on whether or not it’s a limited slip or Pozzi. In drivers training we were specifically told NOT to drive with it engaged, so I’m thinking the rear is a pozzi but not 100% - perhaps Peter or another big truck guy would know for sure?

In either case, the front WILL require having the spider gears welded (as Wayne has done on his) and will likely be more complicated due to the power divider. The rear axle may or may not require welding (as per above). If you do not require the power divider then the rear is a better choice.

I sough out a full assembly because I was planning to mount them both under an old pickup that I was (and probably still will be) converting to a plow truck. By mounting them in place of the stock rear axle, and leaving tires on the rear axle only, one would chunk wherever they needed or wanted to. As long as the air supply to the power divider and rear axle air brake release is common, only a single air valve is required. When the air is turned off and pressure released the rear axle air brakes will lock (parking brake) and the divider will disengage, allowing you to chunk safely - even on hills. When you want to move it, you’d apply the air, engaging the power divider and releasing the rear “parking” brakes.

Obviously this setup wouldn’t be road legal (Nor safe) but for an around the farm yard dog or plow truck it would work nicely and you’d have a self powered mobile chunker that could be powered by a gasifier. Unless you wanted to get all sorts of creative you’d only have front driving brakes, but on your property at low speed they would be sufficient provided you are careful (and capped the rear lines).

Another application would be stationary use with the power divider output being a PTO source. Alternatively, if your yard dog is a 4wd you’ll have to disconnect the front drive shaft from the front axle (as the gear ratio of these axles is unlikely to match the front pig of your pickup) so it could serve as a mobile PTO source, still quite handy!

If one wanted to retain 4wd and normal rear brakes (Plow application), you probably could put the vehicles stock rear axle behind the power divider, but you’ll need a rear lift kit in order for the chunker axle to have clearance as it’s considerably large than a stock axle, even without tires on it. It could probably be done though.

Lots of applications for these, would you be interested in the front, rear, or both?

Probably the rear. I’m trying to" keep it simple stupid."

Original post has been updated… these are now being given away!

Hurry up and come get em.

1 Like

Well free is my favorite price! Isn’t henry somewhere in michigan? I could drive over there this weekend.

2 Likes

East Lansing. Give him a shout… [email protected]

1 Like

The axles are actually in Olivet, MI about 1 mile off I-69S however I have to work the weekend (12 hour days i’m afraid) and it’ll take awhile to get them loaded. Could you do Monday or Tuesday? I’m off both days.

I’m in the middle of e-mailing you for details.

1 Like

Looks Like Andrew is going to pick these up,… glad they’re going to someone in the community, would have been a shame to scrap em.

8 Likes

Big thank you to Mr. Henry for the unfinished chunker. Made it to my house without losing it on the highway. Now just got to get the woodburner ready for it.

5 Likes

My HF belt sander worked nice but slow. I sold my PTO chipper and might have the big mill chipper sold.

Glad to help out Andy. I hope you get some use out of it, I really hate scrappin’ perfectly good things just to get rid of them.

Put up some photos or a video when ya get something made from it!

1 Like