Wood chunker project

Yes it does need to be beefy. With the flight being 2in from face to face, and .75in thick that leaves 1.25 between so I am guessing and I guess hoping in that ballpark. I know it will vary based on moisture and dia of material fed in, as well as speed. My tractor is a 540 pto, so that is where I am going to start. Have you seen the Laimet PS-10 like I mentioned.
David

Seems like someone should start a screw chunker thread. I think Dave’s unit is going to be a hydraulic chopper and the auger is for moving material like processed fuel or ash.

Yes David, I have seen the Laimet. Gassers say they like it. I’m wishing for a blockier chip. You can’t beat the speed of those!
Terry

I was just wandering if a brush grinder would work? Down here in fl. we have lots of tree trimers that have large limb grinders for chunking up brush could this be used for gasifier fuel. Mayby the throut of the cutter could be opened up with a torch to take biger bites out of the limbs, or boards to make biget chunks. I have opened them up lots of times to change the blades on the flywheel that spins the cutters, and I think that one could be modified to take bight bites. they uselly have 4 cutters, that makes the chips about 1 to 2.5 inches long by about one half inch thick. has anyone ever used these kind of chips?

David,
This is James Ulrich, I am in the process of building a chunker like what you are doing. My cylinder is a five inch bore, twelve inch stroke, with a 2 1/2 inch shaft; which should make the return quicker. I would prefer a four inch shaft. All in good time. Mine will be twenty four inches wide like a Guillotine. My frame will be made out of four inch square tubing, quarter inch wall thickness. I plan to cut up to 10 inch thick wood. Attached are some pictures.

HEY JAMES SOUNDS GREAT, I WILL BE POSTING PHOTOS OF MY LATEST PROGRESS, BY THIS WEEK-END I HOPE, MAYBE WITH BOTH OF OUR IDEAS WE CAN COME UP WITH A GOOD CHUNKER, WE HAVE MADE THE BLADE AND INSTALLED IT, THAT WAS A LEARNING EXPERIANCE, IN THE BEGINNING I THOUGHT I WOULD BOLT ON THE CUTTING BLADE BUT I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK THAT WAY, SO WE WELDED IT ON TO THE SLIDING BAR, WE HAD TO BUY SPECIAL WELDING RODD , MADE TO WELD TOOL STEEL TO MILD STEEL IT CAME OUT GOOD, BUT TIME AND TESTING WILL TELL. I THINK THE KEY TO OUR SUCESS IN THIS CHUNKER WILL BE IF WE CAN GET ENOUGH SPEED, BUT I AM ONLY TRYING TO BUILD A CHUNKER THAT WILL SUPPLY ONLY ONE GASIFIER, DAVID-O

A lot of good ideas.
I think Waynes chunker is very powerful and could be added to to accept wood in a vertical fasion
by installing a stop inside the drum area limiting the length of chunk and with a guide
(slightly less than vertical) to stand the wood in.
Table saw can premeasure the width.
Could make a lot of chunks in minutes.
Maybe double duty by setting up both sides of the rearead to chunk?

Just thinking.
                           Brian

waynes chunker is great, ( BUT YOU SEE HE HAS A LARGE TRACTOR WITH A FLYWHEEL ) TO POWER THE CHUNKER, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A LARGE TRACTOR, AND ANYONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE MORE THAN ONE GASIFIER WILL NOT NEED THAT MUCH CHUNKS, SO WHY OVER KILL ? I TRIED TO BUILD A CHUNKER LAST YEAR POWERED BY A SKID STEER, IT DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER / TORQUE TO CHUNK ANYTHING OVER 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER, WAYNE TOLD ME HE DID NOT THINK IT WOULD WORK BEFORE I BUILT IT, HE WAS RIGHT, I THINK A CHUNKER EVEN A SMALL ONE WILL REQUIRE A BIG AMOUNT OF POWER TO RUN IT, IF YOU WANT TO CHUNK SOMETHING BIGGER THAN A 2X2 , I THINK SLOW SPEED HIGH TORQUE IS THE WAY TO GO, NOT HIGH SPEED LIKE A BRUSH CHIPPER,

David,
James here belowed I have attached some pictures of the cylinder that I had to re-build, blade, and the framework. I am hoping that I will be able to cut 6 to 8 in. thick slabs, 15 to 20 in. wide. Hopefully, will know soon! I am going to try and run it with the hyrdalics off the knuckle-boom; which is powered by a 3 cyclinder lombardini disesl engine-27 horsepower. The cyclinder that I did have had a 40 in stroke, I have cut it down, to an 12 in stroke. I will try to weld this blade to a piece of 0.5 in. plate.

1 Like

hey james, hope your,s works , good looking blade , i had to cut and weld two together, i could not find one long enough, where did you buy yours, if i ever need to buy another it would be nice to have a single blade

1 Like

David,
Hello. James here. I just got online looking for blades, Tenn.-Saw Shop in Memphis. I talked to the lady their, and told her I could use any scrap blades, or anything they had that was cheap. She found me this one for $20 plus shipping. Needthless, to say I was happy. Its 3/4 in. thick, 48 in. long, it was used for cutting paper. I will have to cut in half, but that will in return give me two. Are you planning on coming to the the Woodgas Meetup in Indiana 2012. I think I will be there Friday afternoon, or Saturday.

I’m a printer and you can probably contact your local printers and ask who does their blade sharpening. After you sharpen so much off they are junk as far as for a paper cutter, but still have a lot of metal left. A local print shop might even have some old blades laying around that are of no use to them. Blades range anywhere from 14" to 60" Hope this helps.

Hello James Ulrich,

Thanks for keeping me in mind on the gang saw you found but I have got too much going on right now to follow up on it. I may build one this winter if I get time. I think I have all the materials already here.

See ya next Saturday

1 Like

yes i will be there, all day saturday, hope to see you there, DAVID-O

1 Like

Does anyone have the details of the wood chunker on the vedbil sight? It appears to be a miter saw with a crankshaft and a square piston undeneath the saw.

1 Like

James Ulrich here, How are you coming along on the chunker? I have been working on mine, I want to get it fixed before I start on the gasifer for the Dodge V-10. I will try to post some pictures within the next few days. I think the chunker, will work better than a saw because you won’t have the saw dust. I can’t type and my daughter is typing this for me, but she is extremley busy so I can’t respond alot. But I will be sure to post pictures of my chunker soon.

1 Like

I thought I would put up a little clip of the chunker eating a limb.

http://youtu.be/FAE_W5okd14

1 Like

Hi Wayne, Can’t view your link but I did fire up the (electric) buzz saw and cut up 3 sacks of chunks tonight. Took my neighbor (and dog) to the lake in the cav … It ran perfect … High speed was about 60 … I lit it off for him a couple of times … Nice light blue and it didn’t back up the pipe. I guess the new cyclone has no leaks in it … it was around 40 degrees when we went there … Lots of condensate out of the cooler for a change … Bumper didn’t come off or sag … :o) … He’s a mechanic and understood it all … That was refreshing … Mike

Here is an interesting wood chunker Russian I think…

http://s.ekabu.ru/e9/b5/da/e9b5dad00eb9aaea50e5c0e0dcf15ae8.ogv

Hey PierreG.
Thanks for putting this up.
Unfortunatly it shows as a 16.3 mb down load that would take ~56 minutes foe me.
Could you or someone clip a picture out of this or give a brief description of its capabilities or comparison to Mr Waynes system?

I have to do these long down loads after local midnight and the wife complains mightily. Hate to have to pay this price for something all on text I cannot read or for just a few pictures if it is Russian they usually do have long descriptive picture captions.

Thanks
Steve Unruh