Wood Fueling Stations

Maybe we can start a thread dedicated to self service wood filling stations around the country. We could plot them on a map like the Indiana get together. I live about 5 1/2 miles off I 65 in Cullman, Al. Anyone heading from as far as Wisconsin to the beach in Gulf Shores,Al will drive right by. I am gone during the day, but could leave wood for fellow woodgassers. What do y’all think?

Hi Darren,

Sounds great. Here’s a new map: http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/RefuelWoodgas

Please add your location if you are able to supply 500# of wood or more to a travelling woodgasser. If you charge for this then put your price.

1 Like

Great idea Darren, Chris. I have wood, and live in wood country, but since I’m not quite driving on any yet, I have as many unknowns as I have wood. It’s dry H/W, (and pine) but not sure if it is a good size. I don’t have bags, so B.Y.O.B. Once I finish construction, (soon I hope), I can concentrate on fuel production for myself and others. I’ll mark the map, but just remember, there are some unknowns. Proud to be, in the wood family!

I put my mark on the map. We now have three fuel stations.

Richard

Awesome idea. Unfortunately, I don’t have much wood available yet. Once I get some production down, I’ll mark myself.

I am on the map.

I chunked up a batch just Friday.

Hey All
My place is on the map plenty to go around !!
Happy to help a fellow traveler Pm me for address.
HWWT Sean

Hi Sean, I like your video. Now that is a nice little wood pile!! :slight_smile:

On this fuel thing. James Ulrich and I are willing to be fuel stops once we get up and running. James already has a chunker and he owns a sawmill. He’s around London KY just off I-75. I’m in Breathitt Co. around Jackson, KY. We are wondering how the price for the wood fuel would go. By the pound as pine is light and oak is heavy and the BTUs kind of even out with cost/weight/BTUs? Just something to kick around.

By the pound would be fair, given dry wood. “Fair” prices and wood are hard to match up. A little extra moisture in the wood adds weight and therefore profit, but makes the wood less valuable. If you go by volume, you end up with a BTU mismatch. A combo of quality standards, honest dealers, and easy measurements is needed.

To start with, clean dry wood chunks at 20% moisture or less, sold by the pound and bring your own bags?

As for a base price, try and figure how much time you’ve invested in it, and set some sort of value based on that. Big chunkers at a sawmill make cheap wood, hand split chunks are more expensive.

Gasoline price equivalent is around 20 cents/pound, or $3 for a 15lb bag.

1 Like

This brings up a subject that has been well discussed in the past. The following photos are from the book Generator Gas, the Swedish experiance from 1939-1945. They sold wood by the hundred liters, or a volume measurement. Moisture level could not exceed 25% and there were only two size grades recognized. Information on the wood species, volume, size and manufacture were all a part of the label.
There is similar guidelines for charcoal. Seems like a good place to start from.
Gary in PA

1 Like

Gary,

That’s certainly a way to do it. Selling by volume makes it less susceptible to moisture levels, and more susceptible to wood density.

They had some strict rules, partly because of the bridging problems of the Imbert design. Wayne’s burned lots of stuff those guidelines would have dismissed entirely.

Most of the variation actually makes no difference; the most important thing is keeping the wood dry and clean. A random pound of dry clean wood will take you as far down the road as any other.

Seems like Ive seen a little two prong moisture tester used by wood graders?

I put our place on the map.We have plenty of dry Birch firewood and I’d be honoured to chunk it up for a fellow woodgasser that is passing through.

2 Likes

Good to see you here Paul! Your videos were a big inspiration to me when getting into woodgas.

Hey Paul,

Real good to hear from you.

I would love to come by and take you up on the offer but it looks like it would be a lot of driving from my place to yours.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you Chris,I’m glad the videos helped and it’s great to see so many knowlegeable people here sharing their trials and triumphs for others to glean.I’ve been reading the posts and there is a wealth of information on this forum.

Mr Wayne,
it’s good to be back and thanks for the welcome.We are a great distance apart but I hope to get the old gasifier tuned up and mounted on a better truck(1982 F100 ) and maybe make it to one of the woodgas functions and see you all one day.

1 Like

we are working on getting wood stored up here we just started heating the house with wood and hope to get a wood powered truck going to :slight_smile: i still got to make a chunker also but win we get every thing together i will add my self to the map im in spring hill tn right off 65

Hey Paul!
Really good to see ya here.
Been wondering what ya been up to.
Ya still renting tools etc?
TerryL

Hi Terry,

we have a small engine repair shop with tool rentals etc and chainsaw sales.It’s been a steep learning curve.
We had been really busy at work and the days are still 11 hours from start to finish which didn’t leave much time left over but as we were piling firewood in the Spring,the smell of Birch got me longing for the smell of woodgas and I couldn’t shake it so I took a day off and drove the 5 hours to Pemberton and brought back the woodgas truck to our new place.
I had the truck running a couple weeks ago on woodgas then shut it down and began dismantling in preparation for tweaking the system and swapping trucks.I’d like a cooling rack system like Mr Wayne’s instead of the liquid coolant style I have now.

1 Like