Wood Gas Chainsaw

Here’s my next saw:

My Next Saw

Now if I only had the time to give them a call. :yum:

Jeff

woodgas chainsaw

6 Likes

Now there’s a wood gas chain saw that makes sense. Were you the one on the camera while Terry was cutting?

2 Likes

Yup I sure was. Terry operated and I video ed. Notice the saw will work at all angles even…

3 Likes

With arms as big and muscular as Terry’s, I thought he needed a bigger saw…
This was about the biggest one that I found. Unfortunately it isn’t made for wood. I wonder if it could be modded for wood.

2 Likes

Mr. Jim knows chainsaws:

Jeff

9 Likes

Who needs a power chain saw when you got “high speed video”?

1 Like

I sort of look at it the other way… Who needs “high speed video” when you have a high powered woodgas chainsaw? (But I don’t watch much tv, and rarely am I off browsing videos unless for a specific purpose.)

1 Like

Here’s a picture of my new wood gas saw. It doesn’t come sharpened, set or tuned so later I’ll order the tooling. Been reading instructions and downloading videos. Also, need to build the vise. This will end up being my most sophisticated tool… :scream:

Jeff

4 Likes

Jeff are you going to incorporate the Jerker system to power it? You could add another handle on the other end and let you wife “pull” one way. I don’t know if these suggestions would work. Just thinking out of my cage. TomC

1 Like

Tom, I’m going to give it the old wood gas try… That way I only have to pull one way. Got the idea watching people use metal springs and spring poles. The Wheel Horse will supply the power. But first I need to learn how to use it all by my self. I’ll make a cross cut buzz rig for on the landing.

Jeff

1 Like

OMG!! You are serious about using that old saw. I thought you were joking. You are setting logging back 75 years. As a kid my dad put me on one end of a two man saw and the log was so big, the handle was above my head ( more like above my shoulders). Either you have never really had to work one of these for any time or you are a bigger/better man that I ever was. We’ll be interested and watching. My apologizes for funing youTomC

1 Like

Tom, it’s brand spanking new… Remember I’m only sawing stuff that my tinny tractor will skid out. An untuned saw is called a whip. The saw is made in the USA and the exercise is free. Learning to tune it is a big issue. The other end of the equation is that I’m not competing against a chainsaw, I’ll just take my time.

It’s a perforated lance pattern. Maybe this fall I will be able to make some nice noodles with it. Dead pine will be on it’s menu to start with.

Also, I’m just felling and bucking the power cross cut on the landing would cut into firewood length. That is when I get the time to design and build that.

One day at a time,
Jeff

Just buy one… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Tom, You may be kidding, but I have several cross cuts put back that will be put in service if gasoline gets scarce. Always good to have a back up plan. Those saws cut really well if they are properly set and sharpened. Almost a joy to use as the long strands of wood are pulled from the cut. No loud noise and as Jeff notes, good exercise. I’m looking forward to the day when my 2 year old grandson is old enough to help me pull one.
Gary in PA

5 Likes

That’s the idea but I’d build a lighter version. Enjoyed the sound of the hit and miss in the back ground and the Cub Cadet off to the side.

Jeff

Gary, spoken like a true woodsman! One day I was watching a video of a cross cut and the audio was good quality. Well, when I heard the sound of a properly tuned cross cut I understood. Love at first sound. :grin:

If Dolly can handle a full grown cross cut maybe we can get Tom to pull a baby one like mine… :wink:

I’ve run a chain saw for so long that I’m starting to think my luck might be running out. Kind of getting scared of them plus they are a lot of work too.

Jeff

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong guys. There was a time when I would have been happy to saw logs with one of them, particularly if it was a two person and I was working with a friend on the other end. But Gary you and I met momentarily in Argos and if you remember I am too old and fat to take on exercise like that . I enjoyed the pictures from the web site Jeff posted; the satisfying look on the peoples faces as they stood by the butt end o the log they had just cut. Up in this country I have seen many old one-man saws left over from the day, but I thought they were use to cut ice blocks in the lakes. I am imagining the sing of the blade pulling out ribbons of “soft” wood, but that is as far as it will ever go with me, I am sad to say.TomC

4 Likes

Hey TomC,
Old crosscut saws and old men . . . just gives the excuse to have more young friends.
GaryG owned, set back one & two man crosscuts, many bows saws are my fall-back plan too.
JeffD if you never seen this:

They will have your saw tools and bits and pieces.
I reaaly consider these peanutbutter and jelly sandwitch fueled saws.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Thanks for the link Steve. I see the 4 one man saws and to me, they look the same. Are they different prices because one might be easier with hardwoods and another for softwoods?

1 Like