Wood Gas Chainsaw

Sorry Steve but I learned in this part of the country you are on your own. First year I went to bale hay, I asked the neighbor where the young people hung out so I could get a few to help me make hay. He informed me that young people today don’t do work – let alone work that hard. I had to learn to 'drop: bale, then come back with the tractor to pick up the bales. I put the “H” in low and let it idle off across the field as I ran beside throwing bales on the wagon. I put up a large quonset building so I could drive the wagon in one end and out the other and stack the hay on the ground. I had a system where I was almost alway throwing the bales “down” with the exception of a couple of top rows.TomC

1 Like

Thanks Steve. That’s the people that made my saw. I divided the expense up into two phases. Phase 1: purchase saw, make vise and study. Phase 2 will be the tooling from those people. I guess phase 3 will be more saws tuned to different species.

I have a long learning curve ahead of me!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Bill, the Lance is more used for soft wood and the Tuttle for hard. The Tuttle has blade options like wide for a harder push, might be better for cutting firewood length on a log stand. Narrow might be better for faster felling. But people may find different preferences. BUT I ain’t no expert I’m sure Steve and Gary would know much more then I… :blush:

Oh, mine is a flat grind…

Jeff

2 Likes

$14 at the TSC:

It’s my pretend forestry axe, boy axe. Not exactly a cutting profile and it has some kind of heavy paint on it. Not hand forged for sure. Needed a lot of filing and i neef to get an axe stone. The handle is American hickory but the grain is all wrong. Does have a wood wedge and a tube steel wedge. It had some kind of varnish that I had to sand off for my hands to work better. Later I’ll sand it more and put something else on it. I’m using it for limbing and it works much better than my other junk plastic handled felling axe.

I got it this weekend and it’s already reduce the load on my chainsaw. It’ll nicely fit on the Wheel Horse. I’ll learn on this then move up to some nice Sweden hand forged iron…!! :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, this will do the trick…

3 Likes

people always ask me why when they see half my creations as I’m sure that man does and I’m sure he has the same response " because I can " :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Chainsaws seem like a poor choice for wood gas. I can think of more than a few design hurdles. It would be a lot easier to just run a generator off wood gas and use an electric chainsaw.

Yes I believe it would be

This is something off topic but can anyone suggest me some power tools for carpentry?

Hi Dian,
Probably the most used power tool for building will be the “power saw”! I’m 77yo
and used a bunch of cheapo “get by” power saws in my early " broke" days.
They’re too light and under powered, vibrate and jump around resulting in poorly
aligned cuts that don’t fit well and they don’t last. JUNK!

The best saw, by far, IMHO is the 7 1/4" Dewalt 5007 NB, 13 amp, 5800 rpm saw, hands down.
I’ve had mine for 25 or so years and it runs and cuts as well as it did on day one. I’ve framed house after
house including my own house and shop and it still runs like new. A GREAT saw!!!

Another “must” for remodeling is the Makita “reciprocating saw”. Mine is model JR 3000 V with
a 1 3/16" stroke. ) speed control trigger handle to 2300 SPM- strokes per minute. Another 25 plus
years of great trouble free operation! Blades to cut wood and metal.

Another long life favorite of mine is the Dewalt 18 volt 1/2" cordless drill driver, model DC 970.

And one of the handiest and toughest hand held battery powered skill saws is the 18 volt 5 3/8" Dewalt trim saw model DW 936.
It’s a trim saw but it will cut 2x 4’s in a pinch!

Time is money and these tools will save you time and save or make you money for a LONG TIME.
The greatest value tools on the market, IMHO!
I have several others I’ll dig out and get numbers for you.
You will not be taken by or disappointed with the above tools. Low price is not even a consideration
for tools that will last you for a life time.
Pepe

I really llike the Milwaukee M28 sawzall
I use one in construction everyday underground mostly to cut steel and wood.
Very reliable and the battery works well ( can get aftermarket knock off batteries for it at walmart too ).

You can just about use it as a small chainsaw for trimming around the house

This line has been phased out and new tools are 18 volt.
As the batteries age and people retire them expect to see them cheap at yard sales.
I think the earlier ones are better than the new ones, its just the old batteries let you down as the wear out.

I am very left-handed. It is actually dangerous for me to neck-over left-eyed use many made-for-right eyed people.
Some trim saws and wormdrive cutoff power saws are set up left-sided. The trims too small. The wormdrive’s too heavy and bulky.
I finally stepped up to a 7 1/4" left-side magnesium direct drive Porter Cable brand circular saw. Expensive. Worth it.

Also you will fine useful different types of power sanders. Rough cut wood to dimensional: a power planer rig.
Ha! Ha! You woodgas power to make the electricity to either direct electrical power, or battery recharge all of these!!
S.U.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind reply it was really helpful for me.

Hi Wallace,
You’re right about the Milwaukee sawzall. I didn’t own one, but have used them
and they’re another great tool.

1 Like

I like my Makita 36v (two 18v) skill saw. Looks like a worm drive.