Wood (gas) heated greenhouse

Pepe,
Its a ammonium nitrate based quary explosive, and the charges are small. Just enough to shake the sandstone a bit, then it can easyaly be dug out.

JO,

Actualy, l sleep alot :smile: its the time that l dont sleep that l try to make most of it. That Woody is a good comparrison :smile:

Ha, actualy, there is a lot more to it. Farming, firewood preparation and a fultime 3 shift job take most of my time and sometimes l feel 90 too :wink:

You dont celebrate mothers day on 25fh of mafch?

2 Likes

Mothers day is last Sunday in Maj here. Fathers day second Sunday in November. I think different in every country.

Fathers dont eaven have a day here :smile:

Wife says fathersĀ“s day is every day anyway. Hmā€¦ I donĀ“t agree :wink:

5 Likes

Ha! I guess some things are the same in every country after allā€¦

6 Likes

sorry just caught on to the thread, very interesting. Will be watching your progress like many others and gaining valuable information for when It comes time for us to build our greenhouse. Thanks for pioneering the way!

I know you have started already but wanted to to mention a book that others (or yourself) could find some benefit from, itā€™s called ā€œThe Earth sheltered solar greenhouse bookā€ by Mike Oehler he is also the author of the ā€œ$50 and up underground house bookā€

In Mikes book he describes how his greenhouse evolved through trial an error, first from a ā€œhot boxā€ to his modern design incorporating cold sinks and insulated earth walls etc. His experiments took place in the mountains of Idaho where he homesteaded (he very much fits the characteristics of a woodgaser) His design uses either recycled materials and posts for the framing and digs it into the side of a hill. The main difference Iā€™ve seen with mikes design vs every other earth sheltered greenhouse design (wanipini (or however you spell that) is his use of cold sinks.
Mike digs the front of the greenhouse down 4 feet or so (described in the book) below the frost line with the idea that cold air will fall down into the ā€œcold sinkā€ be warmed by the earth and then rise again creating a natural convection cycle and keeping the cold air from hovering on the plants as they are in a raised bed of sorts above the sink.

anyway just thought Iā€™d pt that out there for others as Iā€™ve found the information you and the others contributing to be very helpful. Good luck and we love lots of picture :wink:

6 Likes

Dustin,

this is the principle l plan to use. But its A LOT of work.

l plan to make the basic construction in the summer, then make the heatsink trench as the winter progresses. Allso, l plan to make a celler in the north wall, but thats a secret for now :blush:

Meanwhile, a bit of fun.
https://youtu.be/1nlbAp-MVEM

6 Likes

Hay harvest is at a pause for about a month, so l got back to the greenhouse. Dig everyday from 8 to 9.30 in the morning, then the sun is to hot for plesent work.

8 Likes

Kristijan, you are one ambitious man. Interesting soil profile, also. Good luck on your project.
Pepe

3 Likes

Thank you.
I got the idea of utiliseing this sandstone from callars traditional in souther parts or our country, called Repnice (repa means turnip in most slavic languages), and they were just that, caves for preserveing turnip, potatoes, carrots, apples.
I will combine this repnica with the growhouse, leting the naturaly warm air from deep under the surface to circulate in the growhouse, cool, and return in the cave.
https://www.google.si/search?q=repnica&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=sl-SI&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJn5zg4Y3VAhWFCBoKHe8WA18Q_AUICigB&biw=320&bih=508

The recently dryed Panonian sea left a thick bed of super compressed silica sand in this area. It was mined near here for a nearby glass making factory. It makes great soil mixed with a bit of clay and organic matter. No need for any tools when harvesting potatoes. Just hands.
Its not hard to dig, just slow and WERY tough on tools. Its wery abrasive. Sparks cly from pick all the time.

3 Likes

Kristijan, I would take the sparking and tool wear over big Rocks any day. My soil is so rocky it makes it hard to have a good garden. I need to have top soil brought in and that cost $$$.
Bob

2 Likes

Little by little every day. I like that.
People in our area used to be known as cheap, like the Scottish. Goes way back to when times where ruff. ThereĀ“s a saying around here that ā€œlittle by little always adds up to a lotā€ and that is very true. Adds up faster than most realise. Keep up the good work.
Just one word of caution. I saw your son was with you. I donĀ“t know how stabil that compressed sand is but make sure you donĀ“t get buried in case of caving in.
I dug for laying new sewer 10 years ago. I have a basement and the level of the sewer is deep. Shoveling the dirt up onto the ground the walls got twice my own height and one day one side caved in and I was stuck up to my chest. I was lucky enough not having head down at the moment. Could not move no matter how hard I tried. Ended up digging myself loose.

5 Likes

Haha, then we are alike in one other way :smile: the north Alpes region, Gorenjska, where l originate is known for cheapness and unhospitality. Endless jokes on our account. Like ā€œhow do you know where the border of Gorenjska is?ā€ ā€œYou start seeing toilet paper drying in the front yardā€ :smile:
I guess this cheapness gene brought me to DOW, so thats good.

Ouch. Thats a preety terrifiing experianceā€¦
Thanks for the concern!
Not much of a problem now, the walls are rock hard about a foot under the surface, but its gonna be hard to start digging the cellar cave. The toughness increases with depth, and at about 3m depth l have no more fear, you can see how hard it is in the link above, but untill l reach that depth, caution will have to be taken. Allso, in heavy machinery is frequently driven on top (picture in post 38 with tractor loading the sand-the cellar will be right under) so untill l have at least 3 m of sandstone above my head l will reinforce the hallways (stears) with oak beams, like in a mine.

Ha! The biggest current danger for my son right now is the axe. He loves it and when he sees me hiting that stone with it he wants to do it too. Culd easyly cut his fingers so l am usualy not happy of him being around.

5 Likes

Another old saying about us is that ā€œno beggar passes this area because they know they wonĀ“t surviveā€ :smile:

6 Likes

Been digging every morning for a good hour a day for the past two months. Its near completion. A couple of days of hard work and maybee one more re forge and its done. Then soil loading and construction building.

12 Likes

Good job Kristijan! One small step every day adds up to a giant leap.

6 Likes

A clip from this evenings digg. The clowdy light made the sparks well visible.
@SteveUnruh note the picks handle :smile:

4 Likes

Ha, Kristijan no wonder you have to sharpen your tools. 90 m deep soft ice age riverbed here. I can use a plastic shovel if I shoose :grin: On the other hand its frozen 8 months a year :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Wow is right! Tough going for sure. The good news is, itā€™s pretty stable. Let the sparks.
Pepe

4 Likes

I just read an interesting article about the effects of increasing the CO2 levels for plants. The short version is that it reduces the protein value of the food and increases the sugar levels. It is a very interesting read and worth considering for anyone thinking about adding CO2 to a greenhouse.

5 Likes