Wood (gas) heated greenhouse

Wery interasting! Makes sence thugh. But what the article doesent mention is is protein/carbo hidrate ratio different becouse there is a increase in catbohydrate production, or is protein production its self suffering?
In other words-does one plant still produce the same amount of protein, while it produces more carbohidrates? My guess is thats the case, since protein production is bound mainly on nitrogen, while carbohidrates are in relation to CO2/light.

1 Like

I don’t know the article is definitely lacking in detail. I can tell you when it comes to grasses for cows the same field will produce more protein early in the spring for first cut hay and more sugar in second crop hay. Horse people here are all over that they will get the hay tested and ballance the grain based on the hay. Beef cows are soo much easier. Just give them all they hay they cab eat and a salt block and my Galloway cows are fat and happy.

4 Likes

Dan,

I have always liked the Galloway cattle, when I retire, I’m planning on a herd of them.

Bryan

1 Like

That would be consistent with what I have read as well. For vegetables over fertilized ones grow bigger but seem to lack the nutrient density of their under fed organic bretheren. CO2 is a food source so they would pack on the sugars but be limited by something else in the soil? Maybe it has to go hand in hand with extra fertility…
Hmm. …

2 Likes

Got some progress done today!

12 Likes

Looking good Kristijan. I envy your ability to have several big projects going in parallell. I usually feel a bit stressed doing that. I don’t know where to start and end up doing nothing.
Keep up postning and let us see that greenhouse taking shape.

9 Likes

We did expand the work late in the night, so the foil is on now! We came at a conclusion thugh we shuld wait for the sun to heat/expand the foil before we butty/fix it permanently. Came together real nice. You can feel earths warmth while siting in the greenhouse, eaven at hight.

12 Likes

Kristijan, that green house is looking really nice, plants will be growing in it soon.
Bob

1 Like

It was a rainy sunday and while checking out the greenhouse, the psychadelic sound of rain on tightly streched foil remembered me l havent yet showed the progress! So, this is it.

You can see several experiments in this short video. First, the in the bed composter. The idea is to dump all the organics in it, together with charcialand soil. Once fully processed to the top of the bed, a new composter will be digged out.
Then, horse manure tea oculated charcoal. Used a lot of it.
Third, the lemon tre, tomatoes, paprikas, peppers and chillis are about to survive a winter in. Fingers crossed.
And last, the heater chimney

11 Likes

Ahh, the fruits of ambition. Great job, Kristijan, I am envious.

2 Likes

The heater is in!

Sorry for the sound, my phone fell in dirthy sulpheric acid a few weeks back, mic isnt too good anymore.

Anyway, the heater is made ou of a 55gal drum with a fireing hach on the bottom part. The idea is this can both be a normal wood burning heater, a sawdust stove, and a charcoal kiln. For now, its just a plain burner. Heats the growbed to see how it all works. It has been burning non stop for about 30 hours now and the soil is just starting to feel a bit warmer. The sandstone is a amazeing heat capacitor!

Edit: l did some more tunnel digging in the evening and while looking at the heater, a idea came to my mind. Lets throw in a potato and a rutabaga for dinner!

They were delicious!

16 Likes

Nice work Kristijan!
I really like it. Now you’ve got a wood heater, food and soon a wine celler down there. All you need. You could live there from time to time. Sneak a mattress and a pillow down there and tell your wife you do overtime at work :smile:

5 Likes

Wow now that’s nice Kristijan, you do good work, and I like that you used our old gasifier stile lid for your door on the stove barrow, a three in one unit, smart thinking.
You are set for the cold weather with a garden growing all winter long.
Bob

Thanks guys for the thumbs up.

JO, wuld you belive l thod about this? :smile: there is something deeply relaxing in that greenhouse. Expesialy now with the stove inside.

I managed to put the doors in today, almost ready for harsh winter conditions.

The burner was burning non stop the last few days, well allmost. The soil is still cold deep inside, l think l need at least a week to heat the ~16m3 of sandstone to warm temperature. But it shuld allso last a long long time once fully “charged” with heat.

Why l says “allmost” above? I have found out if l load the burner well, and burn full power for about a hour or two, then air tightly seal the bottom loading lid, the remaining wood will carbonise in a corse of a few hours, or better over night, wich produces some premium charcoal, while still heating the system. I make about 4kg at a time.
Since the charcoal cooks slowly, it is wery dense since the rapid pirolisis gas escapeing from the inside dont fluff the structure. It has a nice hard texture with litle dust once shattered, a metalic ring and like l sayd, much denster thain any char l made so far.

Allso, l think l found a nother use for the exess heat. I put 3 of my free range pigs in the stable to feed them fat for winter slaughter, so this means l need to cook for them every day. Correct, l am makeing a pig pot in the greenhouse heater too, to cook some potatoes, rutabagas and squash.

15 Likes

You’re having way too much fun Kristijan! I can still not believe how you manage to get around with all your projects.
Wife keeps asking me if days have 48 hours in Slovenia :smile:

9 Likes

All that is missing is a hammock! You would never get me out of there at least after the pigs are gone.

2 Likes

Yes, per two days :smile:

I must admit the black feaver got me again looking at all this butyfull fresh charcoal. A part of me just wants to make a charcoal gasifier for the Mercedes :smile: wood is adictive, but charcoal! Oooh man better keep away from it :smile:

David, l have just a place for it right next to the fireplace!! Thanks for the idea! This one goes in!

6 Likes

How much daylight do you need for the plants you are growing in there or are you just finishing off the plants that grew this summer?

2 Likes

I was wondering that too. How many hours of daylight at solstice do you get there? I know my kale even with some heat will just go dormant without extra light. Mind you I’ve never given it enough heat. Just having an unfrozen warm space with dirt not snow is nice though. I love my hoophouse on a cold sunny day.

3 Likes

Well the shortest day we have is about from 7.00 to 16.00 so about 9 hours. But sun does lack a lot of strengh in winter so we will see how it all grows. The lettuce grows wery fast at the moment.

Yes the plan is to grow everything to full grown size and capacity in fall and harvest trugh winter. And allso for the plants like tomatos and paprikas to survive till next year.

5 Likes