Wood gas powered weed burner

Sean, belive it or not, you and me are not that far apart on this one. Althugh the planter l will build separatly, l did think of combining a roller crimper with a steam generator. The thing is, as l understand, the crimper can only kill the cover crop if its in the reproductive phase. But some crops need earlyer sewing, when the cover crop is in the vegetative phase , so l was thinking to first steam cook the plants, then roll them. But, then l remembered my tractor has 18hp and weighs about 1800 pounds while my fealds are probably about 30deg tilted :grin:

4 Likes

It said the best kill was the milk stage for the roller. i don’t know what the kill rate is for any other stage besides not as good. I am leaning towards scalping with a mower. I also don’t need to build anything, I just have to use old, dull blades, and it throws a bit of dirt with bacteria on top to get them started.

I thought you would be interested in the planter. It doesn’t look -that- hard of a build and the seed accuracy is much better then pretty much anything in the hand planter range. It needs a few modifications but it is expandable to more rows. You can mount it to a 3 point hitch, and then even use the pto for the vacuum pump.

I heard just a few miles from you, You can get large tracked vehicles for scrap metal prices. :stuck_out_tongue:

the 30 degrees shouldn’t matter that much, you should be planting across the hill. it slows the water runoff… 30 is about where you start sliding off the seat and have to grab the fender to hold on though. :stuck_out_tongue: It depends on how high you are sitting, you don’t want to roll the tractor and you probably don’t have a hillside model. I have seen people plant swaths of grass in the middle of the hill to slow down runoff.

2 Likes