Wood gas to motor

Anybody have any tips on routing wood gas pipes on a 1988 Chevy 1500 2wd with a 350cid and automatic transmission? The body to frame clearance is tight at the firewall.
At this point I am looking at putting in a 2" to 3" body lift kit unless somebody has an better way.

thanx Dave

I have a 1990 GMC sierra 1500 2wd but with a v6 4.3l (284cid?). I had to route the wood gas along the side of the truck (under the rocker panel) and then up in the front wheel well (on the drivers side) to get the 2, 2inch Abs pipes into the engine compartment. I have 235/75/15R tires and the clearances are tight but acceptable. These are the stock tires and wouldn’t be able to get away with anything bigger due to the chance that the tire would rub against the pipe with extreme left turns.

as it stands when cranking the wheels all the way to the left with stock tires of the above dimensions there is no rubbing of the tire against the piping.

I’ll try and take some picture to give you a better idea.

I’m very interested to hear how the woodgased 350cid will perform with the 1500 Chev. You’ll have to keep us updated.

p.s. I know I need new tires (these ones are extremely bald) but I need a front end alignment with the new tires and that is just not in the cards right now, but soon.

Thanks Dustin
It’s really a tight fit up front. I guess I have to go with a 3" body lift, that will give me the room I need, between the frame and firewall, to bring the gas up along the top inside of the frame rail on the passenger side. That will also allow for bigger tires. I will post pictures of before and after.

Dave

I installed a 3 inch body lift kit in the 1500 and now have needed clearance for the wood gas pipes to motor.