Wood Powered Caddy

Hang in there Herb.

We all are pulling for you !!

Take your pills, eat right, drive on wood, enjoy every day. It’s bound to get better.

Bless you Herb ! Sounds like I got off a lot easier than you. Take Carls advice, take it easy for awhile.

carson

Back home, taking chemo pills, doing fine.
Taking your advise but to be able to drive on wood I had to make fuel!

Good Morning brother Herb.,

Just hard to keep a good man down!!

Thanks for the video .

SWEM

Excellent video, nice car in background :slight_smile:
Appreciate the description, might have to build one of the for patty’s.
Real good to see ya back at it!
HWWT
TerryL

Is there anything I can do about the way my splitter starts? As you may have noticed in the video I have to give it a push start, runs great and has good power after start but little starting power, hoping some of you electrical geniuses can help me out with that! Thanks

Start it without load with a clutch?

We have a motor that size with our machines. It has to turn a 100lb cable inside a drum, so it has a starting capacitor on it. When that capacitor goes bad, it isn’t able to turn the drum, we also help by turning the drum by hand until we get the machine back to the shop and change the capacitor out.

It wouldn’t clutch well because it’s such an uneven load, hard pull up and easy trip down, I have counter weighted it but still to uneven to clutch!
Thanks for checking in Bill, I remember you posting that you use the same motor and you run it with a foot pedal switch, that is the way I would like to switch it, I wonder if that would be possible with my motor, I’m not much of a electrical guy, would that setup work on my motor?

Yes Herb, I really think this would help.
The first picture is our machine. You will notice the small silver connection coming out of the electrical box. That is the air bellow switch. The hose that is draped over the handle will slip over that.
The next picture is the motor. You will notice the starting capacitor on the top of it. We use this machine to cut roots out of the sewer line and can push up to 300’ of cable. This is only a 1/2hp motor. What I will do for you is set up the switch and foot pedal for you, all you have to do is hook it up to a motor that has a starting capacitor. I can also walk you through that part with a drawing. Maybe there’s a way to hook up a starting capacitor to what you have? I’m not sure. I too don’t like electrical unless it’s easy. Same boat as you.

Hey Herb adding capacitance to motors has formulas. Works good on some motor types. The best of these actually have RPM dependent switches to cut in engage the capacitor for “loading” to be able to let it store the energy for starting up only dumping out. Then the running motor RPM switch disengages the capacitor from power storing for motor running.You ever used an old wind it up then button pop engager lawn mower it works the same way.
Other capacitors added to motors and generator are unswitched and in circuit all of the time then modifing the power/phase curves for benefits like putting shocks on a car, or intake/exhaust length tuning for power peaking.

Better AC electricians on this site than me.
I went off medication four days ago to be the real Steve and not medicated Steve to get a job done.
Now my blood/cells level of residual drug capacitance is faded and I am thick, slow and needing boot starts too.
Off to the pharmacy for a big pharma refill just now after a “cell-boot-call” from my wife.
Ha! I never post back - I feel asleep driving de-e-n-e-r-g-i-zzzzz–e–d.
Regards - your now under-medicated friend
Steve Unruh

Hi Herb, you have a split phase motor there, and they have very low starting torque. You need a capacitor start motor, they are bought, not make. Above is a good paper on motor types. You’re in luck, on sale at Harbor Freight $149.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-farm-duty-agricultural-motor-68288.html

Perfect Carl,
Herb, if you still want, I can make the foot pedal set up for you.

That is very helpful, I understand now. I will keep that info, it’s a little more then I can bit off right now, good to know I can get one from HarberFrieght Carl when I’m ready and Bill hopefully I can take you up on your kind offer latter.
It’s not hard to give it a push start, I’m just really blessed with a large dose of laziness so I like to make things as easy as possible!

Herb, my dad used to say that “lazyness is the mother of invention”

Electric motors can be tricky. I have an ancient (30’s) vintage motor. It has great starting torque. It does have a cetrifugal switch and start winding in it if I recall right. One thing strange about it is that it draws less current when under load. I could never figure that out. I could cut wood all afternoon with it running on my PV system inverter (pure sine wave). I have a clamp on amp probe junior that I use . It might pay to check starting current and voltage at the motor. How many feet of what gauge wire do you have running to it. I run my buzz saw with a 100 foot 14 gauge cord on 120V but I sometimes have to spin it up by hand. I run my welder and shop compressor on a 100 foot 14 gauge cord as well but have 240 on it. I always have to worry that some dummy in my abscence will plug a 120V appliance into it (bang and smoke) … Mike

I will remember that one Don!
Hi Mike, my cord is only about 12 ft long 16ga and it does have good power after it’s running, it starts fine under less load like if I loosen the bolt that holds it tight up against tire but then on the stroke up under load that shaft slips on tire and makes the rubber fly digging down to the cords in the tire in no time. Done that couple times already, when I tighten adjustment then it won’t start without push start. I think I will just have to live with it!

Herb, If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !!! I’m up for a day trip some time in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you feel up to it … I’m still walking like Fred G. Sanford (period) but need to get away while the weather is cooling off … At least I know what happened to me. I have too much work at the moment but am also going nuts trying to keep up … Mike

Herb
Have you got a old air compressor gathering dust?
A lot of them used the motor you’re looking for. Garage sale maybe?
Best to ya
Tom