Wood Powered Caddy

In the old days I would just rev the engine up on gasoline and blast the soot right through the whole thing but the newer cars and trucks have catalytic converters and hitting them with a pile of carbon at one time when they are glowing is not a good thing. I remember I had to beat the honeycomb out of one of my cats when it got plugged … No regrets … M

Herb, Question. I cross the river at Dubuque (no choice on that). I would think it would be best to take 151 etc to 80 to Des Moines then up your way … … I have taken 20 west through waterloo and then worked my way into your area as well … You ain’t getting off the hook. You will have to smell someone else’s smoke in your driveway. Wayne ate the whole bowl of grits when he got here in 2007. He didn’t even want butter on them … I just laughed when he put his beer can on the 2" pipe inlet to his unit to shut it off … I’m honored … Mike

You want 80/35 and as it goes thru DesMoines on the far North West corner take hiway 141 NorthWest about 35 miles and you will see the sign for my little town Woodward, that would be great if you could make it over sometime!!

Thanks Herb … I planned to do it last year but got paralyzed and then you had to do your thing … The golden years … I’ve already told all our kids to retire at 45 if they can :o) … We have the antique power show here this weekend and I usually do a few hours each day there with the wood trucks or cars … I hope there is at least a turnout there. There are less and less people each year … Ipads is all there is … We have that stupid labor day thing coming up but maybe week after if you aren’t doing the Nashville thing. I have a lot of “deadlines” coming up next week for zoning etc … Sleeping in the living room tonight … Over 90 upstairs … Mike

It’s been about 10 weeks since I’ve driven the Caddy, I knew it was going to be a while so I cracked the hay filters open at the bottom and top so air could go up though them. I haven’t done anything with it, when I got a deprive on my transplant people came out of the woodwork wanting stuff done. Finally got to the Caddy, took the lids off of the filters and dug down into the hay to have a look, looks like it did pretty good although there is some mold, how much is too much? Would mold hurt the engine?

Hello Herb ,

I don’t feel qualified to answer your motor question but if it were mine I think I would blow some strong air through the filter ( leaf blower ) also flood it with water and go with it .

I will do that. I was pretty happy with the way the hay stayed for those 10 weeks, there is some mold but not too much. I know I’ve cleaned my filters before, put fresh hay in, sealed it all up but I didn’t run it, few days latter I took the tops off to check hay and it wasn’t pretty, that told me they store better opened up a little so air can go up thru them rather then closed up!

Didn’t want anyone to forget the Wood Powered Caddy’s fuel processor! It’s been working pretty good, Wasn’t planning on running it but a friend cut some “cow patties” for me so I couldn’t resist videoing and posting, I really enjoy running it, great way to work out frustrations!

Can you chunk oak. When I spit it for fire wood, it seems very stringy and often I have to pull the two pieces apart after I run it through the splitter. Or because your “cow patties” are only a couple inches thick, the stringiness doesn’t hamper the chunking.
Good to see you are feeling well enough to run your chunkerTomC

Hi Herb, Hope you are doing OK and are settled in back in Nashville … I tried to make some charcoal the other day for my new gasifier and then I thought I had the lid on right and tight and it burned all night … I have enough to fill the hearth but it will have to dry now after the the couple of downpours we had and the water I put on it to put the fire out … Typical stuff … Keep us updated on your stay at the VA hotel … Thanks, Mike

Tom, I don’t know why it wouldn’t split any kind of wood, I have found the harder the better, as far as stringy I don’t know. When it’s running the edge comes down within 1/4in so it would separate the chunks from the pattie, whatever strings may be still hanging would probably break while handling them.
Mike, sounds like you are makin progress!
Yeah I just got back in Nashville tonight, moved into my second home, I’ve driven down here five times now for this stem cell transplant and it has been derailed four of those times. Tomorrow I start testing again starting with a bone marrow biopsy, I know this is getting to be an old story, stay tuned!
Not a bad second home, thanks tax payers!!!

I hope all goes well with you Herb.
Take care, Bill S

Hoping to hear good news soon from you.

What does a Woodgas Head do when he is away from home and bored?
Look up old videos of his wood burner and repost them!

Watching your videos helps keep me inspired.
How is the trip going? I keep praying for ya
Tomw

Goin good, one day at a time! I’ve seen worse!

Here are a couple more videos, continuation of same ride last winter!

Thanks Herb :slight_smile:

May your stay at the VA continue to be comfortable and brief. Looks like it will be next spring before my Caddy will be running on wood. Seems like any mold should expire as soon as the filter atmosphere changes back to woodgas.

BBB,

Rick

The mold must have not hurt anything, I blow it out from bottom up with leaf blower like Wayne suggested, washed it down with water and took it out and ran the crap out of it, ran just fine!

This is a continuation of same ride last winter, going out of town, picking up speed, at the very end it finally shifted into high gear at 80mph!

Thanks for coming by my motel, showing me your awesome wood powered truck and taking me for a ride Thursday night Marvin, it was a blast!!!

I love it Herb :slight_smile: BBB