Wood Powered Caddy

Your welcome. Was a pleasure meeting you. I’m just happy the truck ran decent.

I have a few more pictures If you want them but this car is in between Lebanon and Watertown. Shows some age, 2012 plates and I think it’s been sitting there about that long at least. Should be ready to deal.

A wood powered Cadiliac limo may be back on the table, I drove out and took a look at it, it’s a nice car, it’s dent free, the biggest problem is the vinyl top has hundreds of small cracks in it, looks like something could be spayed over it. It’s a 95 full sized Fleetwood rear wheel drive, it’s got the LT1 engine, it started a ran real nice. Since it’s rear wheel drive it has a lot more room around engine, 79,000 miles. Asking 3,000$ could be brought for 2500.
Would like groups input on woodgasin one of these, I forgot to check if it has a distributor?

The distributor is under the water pump on these engines. (Whatever engineer came up with that should be shot).
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=optispark&FORM=HDRSC2

With some custom machine work a distributor can be put in the back for the high side of the ignition and leave the optical sensor up front. http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=255050

Can be converted to coil pack. http://www.delteq.com/

Can be converted to individual coils. Bailey LTCC setup

Or it may not be a problem as is but at least you have options. May have to get creative if timing needs adjusted with the computer.

Other then the stupid dist, I think the LT1 should be good. Compression and timing was run high on these engines, good power. Intake is wide open should be easy to clean.

I’m sure you did but take a good look at the tires. Been sitting a long time. I’d bet a little less cash would talk.

Good luck Herb

Make sure it’s not the 4.3 V8 LT1.
Looks the same as the 5.7 (350) but 100 or so less hp.

My “adventure gene” is twitching!

Is that a Distributor tucked in behind the Serpentine belt (“1 o’clock” angle from the main crank pulley)? Underneath/behind the central “cast aluminum- looking thing”? That sounds about like what MarvinW described.

I can see what look like plug wires behind water pump.

How could I tell if it’s the 350 cu in LT1?

Thanks for the good info Marvin!

what is the 8th and 10th characters in its vin?

Brian
Yes, its driven off the front of the cam.

Herb
Emissions sticker should say 5.7 I think. Vin like Arvid said. I think it’s cast on the block too but I’ll have to do some digging to remember where. Most likely a 350 but worth looking.

I really like the car, I think my only problem is not knowing for sure if it’s the little LT1 or the 5.7-350, I’ve heard lots of good things about the LT1, didn’t know there was a smaller one till you pointed that out Marvin, thanks.

Marvin, I think you said you go by there on your way to work, I would like to ask you to stop and get the vin number or emissions sticker so I would be sure it’s the 5.7. It seemed pretty powerful when I took it for a ride Sunday
If it’s the 4.3 I think it may be under powered on woodgas pulling that long limo around, if you could check that out I would appreciate it. If it is and if he’ll come down a little and if I feel good enough I may just drive that old doll home, anyone lookin for a 91 wood powered caddy???

That 91 Caddy is a Herb Hartman trademark in the woodgas world.

It’ll be this weekend before I can but I will. I really doubt it’s the small one but it’s worth checking.

Hi Herb
If you have time you may want to watch this.
Hope it helps !
http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/live/episode1.php

Thanks and good luck
Patrick

Mr. Herb

Sorry it took me this long but I stopped tonight and checked the emissions sticker. It says 5.7 (350). The fellow told me to get you to call him even if you don’t buy the car so he could find out how you did.

Marvin

You’re a good man Marvin

Patick that is some awesome info and I thank you for posting it, doesn’t it suck that some people want what they want and conldnt care less about how it effects others, I will be spreading the word as much as I can!!!

Marvin I appreciate you checking on the Limo and I’m glad it’s the 350, it’s a pretty good old car don’t you think? I know the tires are bias ply and not that great, I will need to get a nice set of radios with some 22 in wheels, kidding.
I think he will come down 6-700, heck I gave 1300 for 91, this is a 95 full sized fleet wood 6 dr, lot more car!!!

I could buy it and drive it home but eventually I would need to sell the 91, I would like the groups opinion on what my 91 is worth, heck you guys know as much about the car as I do. It is truly a dual fueled Caddy, starts and runs on gas or wood, and it runs darn good if I say so myself, here’s that last video, at the very end it finally shifted into high at 81 mph!!!

This is with no timing advance!!!

When I yelled at end it shifted, granddaughter chopped the rest of video, darn, I was going down hill some, as I remember it went up to 86 and then hit the uphill side and slowed to speed limit!!

Herb

Just meant the tire were pretty shot. I’d look close at them before I took a long trip. Looks like a good solid car though.

Your thinking about the same as me on price. How good is the market for an older, slightly weathered limo???

No idea on how much yours is worth. Hard to price a unicorn.

Marvin

Ha. It might be hard to part with your “first love”, even after the “right one” comes along. Wayne’s the only one with a fleet to add to.

I’m going to try getting ahold of him!!! Anybody else have a creative way of selling the Wood Powered Caddy? It would be spring before I would be ready to let it go!